What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

14 minutes ago, javeajag said:

EFL clubs have received an email this morning saying they are hoping to restart training on May 16

They state they want to finish the season no later than 30th June due to shirt contracts, sponsorship's and player contracts ending then. That's 10 weeks from now, and with lock-down in UK enforced for (minimum) another 3 weeks, that allows for 7 weeks to play 9 or 10 games in best case scenario. 

UEFA have stated they now want the Champions League final played 29th of August and Europa league on the 26th of August.

Champions league and Europa league has round of 16, quarter, semi's and final to play - 7 sets of games for each.

This is total madness from UEFA as there is no way they will play these high profile games behind closed doors and even if they do manage to stop thousands congregating outside grounds to get a glimpse of their hero's. Thats before you add in the out of contract or transferred status of many players involved

19 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

They state they want to finish the season no later than 30th June due to shirt contracts, sponsorship's and player contracts ending then. That's 10 weeks from now, and with lock-down in UK enforced for (minimum) another 3 weeks, that allows for 7 weeks to play 9 or 10 games in best case scenario. 

UEFA have stated they now want the Champions League final played 29th of August and Europa league on the 26th of August.

Champions league and Europa league has round of 16, quarter, semi's and final to play - 7 sets of games for each.

This is total madness from UEFA as there is no way they will play these high profile games behind closed doors and even if they do manage to stop thousands congregating outside grounds to get a glimpse of their hero's. Thats before you add in the out of contract or transferred status of many players involved

There is utter blind panic in football authorities. They only see the cash signs. They dont care about the punters 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

UEFA meet next week to decide what’s going to happen but the rumour is they are going to extend the season till the end of august and play the champions league final on August 29 

3 minutes ago, javeajag said:

UEFA meet next week to decide what’s going to happen but the rumour is they are going to extend the season till the end of august and play the champions league final on August 29 

Better hurry up with that vaccine then

3 hours ago, Emsca said:

Who came up with this 11-1  and 75% rule and could it not be changed ? 

11-1 as a voting threshold is ridiculous. Imagine if they had a rule in England that you had to have the support of Man City or Liverpool to change anything. It is the root of all that is wrong with Scottish football.

11-1 as a football score, however, is bloody marvellous.

• Like 2

• Administrators
20 hours ago, Very Bitter Jag said:

Admin if its possible please can you change my user name to Very Bitter Jag (my current user name was inspired by the last relegation vote)!

Now done. 

Let me know if you want to changed back. 

2 hours ago, ClydebankJag said:

Read the link I posted. 2012 was a proposal. It progressed to a vote in 2013. County & St Mirren voted against it. 

I am fairly sure that it was Aberdeen who wanted to retain the 11-1 voting.  St Mirren's former chairman, Stewart Gilmour mentioned in his interview on Sportsound last weekend that he had been unable to get  the change he wanted from 11-1. 

My recollection was that St.Mirren & Ross County had voted against the proposal to restructure the Leagues - I suspect that a change to the 11-1 was added to the proposal as bait to get their preferred option through - can you believe that the SPL would have tried such an unprincipled stunt?

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

2 bits of optimistic news today.....

2401B1DC-F04C-4568-B5E2-6469C690AD09.png

9AE5BEA2-C53F-4A14-93B4-C864A17441AE.png

I admire  your positive outlook, but I think it is worth considering the German Governments handling of a possible easing of lockdown [discussed by their parliament 16th April].  It now appears that the German rules on social distancing and maximum numbers allowed for a 'gathering', will make it impossible to restart the Bundesliga in August. There is no specific news of  coming from the German government to allow any possible decision regarding the reopening of football in Germany simply because football, at this time, is of low priority. 

As Germany appears to be the country in the European mainland that has dealt with the spread and 'control' of this virus with the most competence. If there is any country that will be able to relax the lockdown [particularly with regards to playing and watching football] Germany is probably going to be the first country to be able to do this.

I don't want to be pessimistic, but I see little chance of football [as we know it] happening before the vaccine is created, and tested. And bear in mind, the 18 months figure to create and test a vaccine is a 'fast track' number, it could be much longer.

The time taken recently to 'relegate' PTFC may have been completely in vain, as by the time we actually can start playing football there may be considerably fewer clubs to make up the numbers in the leagues.

2 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

The time taken recently to 'relegate' PTFC may have been completely in vain, as by the time we actually can start playing football there may be considerably fewer clubs to make up the numbers in the leagues.

This is something that I had been thinking about. By calling the season now, any clubs hitting financial difficulties would have any points penalties applied to next season, so that wouldn't help our current plight. Now there could be clubs who might go under completely (a la Rangers) however I don't know who would be likely to pull the trigger. Traditionally it would have been HMRC,  but I can't see the government doing that under the current circumstances.

Football and every other sport that makes money from being televised will being trying to return as soon as possible, and I doubt any government will force them to stop. Just look to America.

The novelty of quarantine is starting to wear off already and you'll see the general populace start to clamour for everything to return to "normal" very, very soon.

Edited by West of Scotland

12 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

Football and every other sport that makes money from being televised will being trying to return as soon as possible, and I doubt any government will force them to stop. Just look to America.

The novelty of quarantine is starting to wear off already and you'll see the general populace start to clamour for everything to return to "normal" very, very soon.

That’s why Sweden might have a point in their approach 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

The Aberdeen owner/chairman, who stays in America said on sportsound a few weeks ago that all major sports events in America are preparing to compete behind closed doors to the end of this year at least. If you are talking about Trump's latest announcement about getting America opened for bussiness, it was only a few weeks ago he said it would re open for Easter. He didn't say what Easter right enough.

28 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

I don't think the kind of leadership coming from America should be used as an example for the rest of the world.

3 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

Which country are we more like - Germany or America?

I don't think we are 'like' either, but if we are looking to examples of good governance we should not be following the USA's lead on how to run a country.

In saying that the present Conservative government got into power by lies and falsehoods ….. pretty much a carbon copy of what happened in America!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I admire  your positive outlook, but I think it is worth considering the German Governments handling of a possible easing of lockdown [discussed by their parliament 16th April].  It now appears that the German rules on social distancing and maximum numbers allowed for a 'gathering', will make it impossible to restart the Bundesliga in August. There is no specific news of  coming from the German government to allow any possible decision regarding the reopening of football in Germany simply because football, at this time, is of low priority. 

As Germany appears to be the country in the European mainland that has dealt with the spread and 'control' of this virus with the most competence. If there is any country that will be able to relax the lockdown [particularly with regards to playing and watching football] Germany is probably going to be the first country to be able to do this.

I don't want to be pessimistic, but I see little chance of football [as we know it] happening before the vaccine is created, and tested. And bear in mind, the 18 months figure to create and test a vaccine is a 'fast track' number, it could be much longer.

All gatherings of in excess of 300 people including all music festivals cancelled in Germany I believe until 2021

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

The Aberdeen owner/chairman, who stays in America said on sportsound a few weeks ago that all major sports events in America are preparing to compete behind closed doors to the end of this year at least. If you are talking about Trump's latest announcement about getting America opened for bussiness, it was only a few weeks ago he said it would re open for Easter. He didn't say what Easter right enough.

I believe there is no NFL to be played until 2021?

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

This is something that I had been thinking about. By calling the season now, any clubs hitting financial difficulties would have any points penalties applied to next season, so that wouldn't help our current plight. Now there could be clubs who might go under completely (a la Rangers) however I don't know who would be likely to pull the trigger. Traditionally it would have been HMRC,  but I can't see the government doing that under the current circumstances.

Additionally general insolvency rules have been relaxed, so I think we will have a pause on insolvencies for a number of months

The government agencies definitely wont be putting anyone down