What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

1 minute ago, partickthedog said:

There has been some comment on whether we have been "relegated" or "expelled".

I think that the correct term is "demoted", ie we are still within the same organisation, but we have been punished by being sent down to a lower level.

Reassigned.

We've been reassigned into a position where we are of greater value to the organisation.

3 hours ago, Harrybriscoe said:

This is a Thistle forum, and as the club and fans are presently being treated abysmally by fellow members, then this is the time to discuss, not revenge, but appropriate action to let other clubs know we are sick of being regarded as the 'cuddly toy' of Scottish football. I hope selective games will be boycotted, although we needn't spend money on newspaper ads, and a donation made to the club by fans on away days.

I know we have bigger worries at this time but I'm sure fans come on to the forum to talk football and exchange views regardless of what's happening in the bigger world.

My partner, a nurse, is currently recovering from a Coved-19 infection and it's tragic the number of lives being lost, so don't say I'm selfish or don't care.

It helps to cling on to a bit of normality and the forum helps fulfil that function.

All the best to you and your partner.

Thing is nobody comes out of this mess looking good. I don't think the SPFL is corrupt just inept and we've been a victim of their Mickey Mouse mathematical end to the season.

Our club has obviously backed down from at one point seeming they'd take this all the way with a fillip of being part of a reconstruction panel after looking at the options.

I agree that legal action was really a no goer on this occasion. 

Now Budge is wanting a temporary change to the leagues. I just can't see that gaining the required number of votes.

Personally I think the league set up is fine as it is at the moment. Change for changes sake especially as a temporary solution which could cause further problems down the line.

With Jaqui in charge we could be playing amateur football on a blaize pitch within 12 months ^_^

Where I'm focussed is on Thistle and getting a season ticket renewed at the end of the month and looking at possible revenue generators in a difficult time for many.

Personally the boycott doesn't wash with me. We're effectively looking to 'punish' smaller, part-time clubs even if we were harshly treated. That makes us 'vengeful' no matter how you paint it. It also makes us bullies to a degree. Fair enough if it was our 'friends in the Championship such as Morton, Ayr and QoS.

We could have the perverse situation of taking a large away support through to Falkirk which (on paper) would be our main rival for promotion and paying them cash right into their fighting fund.

Boycotts also seem very Rangersy and usually end in just talk.

I'll not go to every away game but that'll be to other reasons. Not how some club chose to vote due to an extraordinary situation.

A lot of fans proposing this action maybe don't go to many, if any games at home or away anyways?

Anyway all this twaddle could be immaterial as I don't see us playing in front of a crowd until next year. Especially when you consider a lot of our support seem to be 60+ who are at most risk from this *******ing virus.

TL; DR

I'll back the team but I'm not backing a boycott.

In the meantime stay safe and stay home.

Edited by jagfox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

How do you know that ? We have been in the situation before where the SPL have changed a rule during the season 

We should be enraged.

Well for QotS it was a get out of jail card. Of course there is slight chance we would have voted for a fair outcome. As far as I can see only East Fife and ICT voted without self-interest at heart, albeit neither were staring down the barrel of a gun. 2 clubs out of 42, law of averages. 

5 hours ago, Whitelees jag said:

Interesting interview on radio Scotland with Aberdeen chairman.said he received a call from Doncaster at 4.40pm so say that they now had the 9 votes they needed..Aberdeen hadnt voted at that point.Wonder who else he phoned.

This just illustrates the joke of the whole thing.

The CEO is phoning round the voters before the vote is closed telling them how the vote is going! Its a complete amateurish organisation with no credibility. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, allyo said:

Embarrassing,  in the current situation, for Thistle to be associated with words such as "revenge". The entire country (or world) is in crisis and people are pulling together in heroic ways to support each other.

In that context this sounds pathetic. It's a debate for another day.

There wasn't much evidence of "pulling together to support each other" by many Scottish football clubs in the recent fiasco.

13 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

How do you know that ? We have been in the situation before where the SPL have changed a rule during the season 

We should be enraged.

I don't think the historic injustice involving ICT would have stopped us grabbing a lifeline if we were in 9th.  

I 'm not happy but definitely not enraged. Temporarily restructuring the league for a 1 season no relegation option which would bring justice to Thistle, Hearts, Stranraer and Falkirk makes sense to me but will only go through if premiership teams don't lose financially. Even then 9 out of 12 would need to agree. 11 out of 12 is required for restructuring without financial tie ins.

I may be wrong though tbf

Doncaster should have been on the phone to Thistle saying, look we know you are the ones who will be shafted by this as you have been disadvantaged by playing a game less, if we leveled up the games your fate was still in your own hands so here's what we are going to do .......

Not phoning club's who's vote apparently didn't matter!  What a Pillock this bloke is.

Edited by sb1876
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

See that Cormack (Aberdeen) will support restructuring SPL to 14 Clubs for one or two seasons. Thinks its the 'fairest'  way to move forward!

I'll go with that assuming we will still be in the Championship! 

I wouldn’t put it past them to have no relegation from premiership but still relegate us and Stranraer.

I paid for a season ticket to watch Thistle in a fair league competition run by the SPFL.  Under the current National Emergency, no teams should be being relegated/demoted/expelled from uncompleted league competitions.   By terminating the 'lower' leagues, the SPFL have also knowingly and constructively denied the club in 10th position of the Championship the opportunity play a 28th fixture to match the number of games played by the club in 9th position which was only two points ahead.   This is fundamentally wrong under any circumstances regardless of that teams's poor form.  Meanwhile, the SPFL play a waiting game hoping that the Premiership may actually be played to a conclusion,  even beyond the end of June,  to avoid any controversy relating to the 9-in-a-row bragging rights of one club.  

The more I think about it however, I'm confident we will still be in the Championship whenever football restarts as their will forever be a 'how could that possibly happen' question relating to the 2019/20 Championship relegation of a team with a crucial game in hand. 

Edited by weebaldie
typo

51 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

See that Cormack (Aberdeen) will support restructuring SPL to 14 Clubs for one or two seasons. Thinks its the 'fairest'  way to move forward!

I'll go with that assuming we will still be in the Championship! 

Its a rubbish solution which would gain little support from our fans if it wasn't being done to benefit us by no relegation.

The Scottish game needs permanent reconstruction not some half-baked half-assed temporary solution.

And, the supporters should be represented in any discussion on reconstruction.

Who else would completely change their business model without considering the views of their customers/investors?

Ironically, by accepting this, our fans will be doing exactly what they have been slagging everyone else off for - accepting an imperfect solution on the basis of enlightened self-interest, and turning a blind eye to blatant conflicts of interest!!

I am of course not saying in all the circumstances we should not accept this, but lets acknowledge its a far from ideal solution to a one-off leveraged opportunity to try to reconstruct the Scottish game positively.

Edited by jaf

5 minutes ago, weebaldie said:

I paid for va season ticket to watch Thistle in a fair league competition run by the SPFL.  Under the current National Emergency, no teams should be being relegated/demoted/expelled from uncompleted league competitions.   By terminating the 'lower' leagues, the SPFL have also knowingly and constructively denied the club in 10th position of the Championship the opportunity play a 28th fixture to match the number of games played by the club in 9th position which was only two points ahead.   This is fundamentally wrong under any circumstances regardless of that teams's poor form.  Meanwhile, the SPFL play a waiting game hoping that the Premiership may actually be played to a conclusion,  even beyond the end of June,  to avoid any controversy relating to the 9-in-a-row bragging rights of one club.  

The more I think about it however, I'm confident we will still be in the Championship whenever football restarts as their will forever be a 'how could that possibly happen' question relating to the 2019/20 Championship relegation of a team with a crucial game in hand. 

Agree.

4 minutes ago, jaf said:

Its a rubbish solution which would gain little support from our fans if it wasn't being done to benefit us by no relegation.

The Scottish game needs permanent reconstruction not some half-baked half-assed temporary solution.

Who else would completely change their business model without considering the views of their customers/investors?

We need measures to get football/clubs into the next season or two. They might be measures that might only last for a season or two, they might be for longer. Nobody knows how long  things are going to go on for and that is the problem. For the record i think the leagues do need reconstruction and they have done for years.

2 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Premier League clubs shouldn't be relegated if season isn't completed - Brighton owner - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52339058

The significance of this is that Brighton are just above the relegation zone and would benefit hugely if league places were called as they stand now (whether or not average points were applied to even up effect of having played a different number of games). They would immediately be safe, rather than entering a final run of games with a strong possibility of ending up dropping into a relegation place. Accordingly they are the equivalent of a Hamilton, St Mirren or Ross County in Scotland, but are taking an entirely different and of course more principled view on the same question.

There may be differences between Scotland and England which make the Brighton statement less altruistic than it seems, in which case I would appreciate an explanation.

18 hours ago, partickthedog said:

There has been some comment on whether we have been "relegated" or "expelled".

I think that the correct term is "demoted", ie we are still within the same organisation, but we have been punished by being sent down to a lower level.

Punishment is applied for doing something wrong, against the rules. So our punishment is for having played one less game than anybody else, and  thereby complicating things.

13 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

I would bet on that happening. 

I agree with your sentiment (and fear!), and Doncaster/the SPFL never cease to amaze and disgust. However, I cannot see a practicable form-of re-structuring that saves Hearts, but not us. Either there would have to be an odd number of teams in one or more divisions (which has never happened), or we would be down to a Championship league of 8, which is hard to believe. Would teams play each other 6 times (42 games) or play each other 4 times (28 games) and then split into top and bottom 4s playing each other home and away (6 games, making a total of 34)? Either prospect is horrendous.

44 minutes ago, jaf said:

Ironically, by accepting this, our fans will be doing exactly what they have been slagging everyone else off for - accepting an imperfect solution on the basis of enlightened self-interest, and turning a blind eye to blatant conflicts of interest!!

I am of course not saying in all the circumstances we should not accept this, but lets acknowledge its a far from ideal solution to a one-off leveraged opportunity to try to reconstruct the Scottish game positively.

Agree with some of your points but not this.

The fundamental issue here is two clubs (as things stand) being disadvantaged/punished/whatever as a direct result of this unique situation. A temporary solution is better than punishing clubs because the current season couldn't be finished.

If it is to be temporary then the next phase of restructuring will, surely, be outlined at the start of the new season so clubs will know from the kick off what they need to do and have a fair sporting chance of doing so, whether that is a return to the current set up or otherwise.