What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

11 minutes ago, scotty said:

I see Leeann Dempster has pulled out the reconstruction group to focus on the big issue. Maybe she's got a lab working to find a vaccine! I am thinking that the premiership clubs are going to stitch this up. If the eufa meeting this week allows it I can see them finishing things as they are, giving the clubs the european places and no relegation from or promotion to the top division.

3 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

She probably had a think about it and with the Hearts connection probably thought better of it , if she was seen trying to keep Hearts from getting relegated.

I think it is to do with Nicola Sturgeon saying crowds won't be allowed at football games anytime soon. Also closed door games would need to solve a number of issues before they could be considered. First Minister said this at her daily briefing today.

47 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Obviously having a bad lockdown day but I agree with a lot of things he says .

Too many inaccuracies and contradictions for me. Don't agree with much if any of his opinions either but he is entitled to them.

58 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I think it is to do with Nicola Sturgeon saying crowds won't be allowed at football games anytime soon. Also closed door games would need to solve a number of issues before they could be considered. First Minister said this at her daily briefing today.

In this context maybe reconstruction really isn't the big issue right now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, allyo said:

In this context maybe reconstruction really isn't the big issue right now.

No what is important, in a football sense, could be just keeping clubs afloat and the rush to promote and relegate clubs may well prove to have been a step in the wrong direction. One which cannot easily be reversed!

24 minutes ago, scotty said:

No what is important, in a football sense, could be just keeping clubs afloat and the rush to promote and relegate clubs may well prove to have been a step in the wrong direction. One which cannot easily be reversed!

Think you’re right Scotty , can’t see a lot of supporters rushing out to buy season tickets which is a big part in running a football club in terms of cash flow especially in the summer months when no football is played.

It’s a leap of faith buying a season ticket just now as we don’t even know when football will start again and with the complete disregard from most of the Clubs and the SPFL from reimbursement for season ticket holders for an incomplete season  it’s going to be a hard sell.

Think some Clubs won’t make it

Worrying Times

27 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Think you’re right Scotty , can’t see a lot of supporters rushing out to buy season tickets which is a big part in running a football club in terms of cash flow especially in the summer months when no football is played.

It’s a leap of faith buying a season ticket just now as we don’t even know when football will start again and with the complete disregard from most of the Clubs and the SPFL from reimbursement for season ticket holders for an incomplete season  it’s going to be a hard sell.

Think some Clubs won’t make it

Worrying Times

Think I read last week that almost 900 footballers in Scotland had now been furloughed.  in the immediate short term there is therefore support for clubs (if they choose to use it). 

my concern is more for the longer term.  Two reasons. Firstly, going to the football I always think is habitual. You put up with so much dross you don’t want to miss the rare great game!!!  Or it just becomes the way you spend your time. It’s what you do.  This has broken that habit.  Secondly, the economics of this whole thing means almost certainly that people will have less money to spend the other side of this.  (The richest can’t share the burden - you could get all the top top tax rate earners in Scotland in our stadium).  If people have less money, where does football rank in their priorities.  

so yes I actually think Leanne dempster (and no doubt others) are doing the right thing concentrating on the big picture.  

I also think restructuring the leagues is a bit knee jerk.  Of course I understand why they have done it and hope we will benefit but I just don’t see how you can restructure the leagues until you know when football will start again so you know how much time you have to complete a season and so how many fixtures you can play. 

5 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Denmark scheduling no fans football from May 17.....players training in groups of five 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/19/midtjylland-to-offer-fans-parking-tickets-for-big-screen-superliga-experience

Superb creative thinking from that team.  That is I guess what Leanne dempster is talking about solutions of that type.  Although our behaviour and football tribalism probably rules many options out (as the FM has already alluded to). 

18 minutes ago, jaf said:

Superb creative thinking from that team.  That is I guess what Leanne dempster is talking about solutions of that type.  Although our behaviour and football tribalism probably rules many options out (as the FM has already alluded to). 

You’re right , going to have to think outside the box to keep things going .

7 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Good luck to the swedes.  Brave leadership. 
I think that is of course what our government wanted to do but were too weak to follow it through in the face of a media and public backlash. In fairness I doubt it would have worked in London and the bigger cities, but I think Scotland is more like Sweden in terms of population density? 

19 minutes ago, jaf said:

Good luck to the swedes.  Brave leadership. 
I think that is of course what our government wanted to do but were too weak to follow it through in the face of a media and public backlash. In fairness I doubt it would have worked in London and the bigger cities, but I think Scotland is more like Sweden in terms of population density? 

It’s good to have someone doing something different , we will all learn something and they are guided by their experts as well.....one universal the next phase requires extensive testing Sweden planning to test everyone with symptoms.....the U.K. govt has been abysmal on testing 

13 hours ago, jagfox said:

Agree with a lot of this but couldn’t disagree more re the manager. If I had to hand pick a manger to get a team out of league 1 from the current crop circling around the lowers leagues in Scottish football I would struggle to see a better option than McCall. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, p12tfc said:

Agree with a lot of this but couldn’t disagree more re the manager. If I had to hand pick a manger to get a team out of league 1 from the current crop circling around the lowers leagues in Scottish football I would struggle to see a better option than McCall. 

Dick Campbell has a far better record of getting teams out of the lower leagues than McCall. Would you want him back ?

Get those rose tinted glasses off and see golden bollocks for the fake that he is.

30 minutes ago, javeajag said:

It’s good to have someone doing something different , we will all learn something and they are guided by their experts as well.....one universal the next phase requires extensive testing Sweden planning to test everyone with symptoms.....the U.K. govt has been abysmal on testing 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/19/anger-in-sweden-as-elderly-pay-price-for-coronavirus-strategy

But is it at the expense of there elderly population?   We will never know the full story until a vaccine is found. So what sounds like a good strategy now maybe a disaster when next winter roles around.

7 minutes ago, topcat said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/19/anger-in-sweden-as-elderly-pay-price-for-coronavirus-strategy

But is it at the expense of there elderly population?   We will never know the full story until a vaccine is found. So what sounds like a good strategy now maybe a disaster when next winter roles around.

Most of the deaths everywhere more prevalent in older people.....Sweden has also had problems with nursing homes....their advice is for the over 70s to basically self isolate.....their view rightly or wrongly is that lock downs are unsustainable 

1 hour ago, BowenBoys said:

That's great but we're  not in Germany.

Indeed. Germany took a much better approach to tackling the virus than the UK; that’s why they are already reducing restrictions and planning to restart sport. 

Not comparable to us.