What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Aberdeen asking for a delay to ending season, to study options for completing fixtures. This is the same Aberdeen who voted to end the season early in the lower leagues. Double standards comes to mind.

Voted to get their chunk of money and now it seems trying to get more, having already deprived others of theirs.

As disgusting as the rest of them.

7 hours ago, West of Scotland said:

Too many professional clubs in Scottish football? I wonder who gets to decide which clubs live or die? Maybe us, because we're such bastions of sporting morality.

I'm sure the economy will make that decision for a lot of clubs soon enough.

Nobody dies, they just find their level. They can make it into the two leagues and progress should they be capable or want to go as far as their heart is content. But if the money for 42 clubs was split between say 28/30 clubs and less games/bigger leagues i think it would make for a better all round game. We need 2 professional leagues, 4 leagues for a country the size of Scotland is mental!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Nobody dies, they just find their level. They can make it into the two leagues and progress should they be capable or want to go as far as their heart is content. But if the money for 42 clubs was split between say 28/30 clubs and less games/bigger leagues i think it would make for a better all round game. We need 2 professional leagues, 4 leagues for a country the size of Scotland is mental!

I am not sure that there is a lot of difference between league 2 and some of the juniors. I think that the clubs that are more likely to go under are the championship clubs. Spent money trying to get into the premiership without getting the prize money to compensate.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I am not sure that there is a lot of difference between league 2 and some of the juniors. I think that the clubs that are more likely to go under are the championship clubs. Spent money trying to get into the premiership without getting the prize money to compensate.

Agree with you!

Although fans are contributing to the The Jags financially, I am glad we were reported as debt free at the start of this lockdown! Championship Clubs that started the lockdown already in debt will be in trouble if the prize money they received runs out!

4 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Don’t understand a 4 league system in a country of less than 6m

I understand that there is the selling point of the Old Firm 4 times a season, but who else wants to play another team 4 times

Just hope enough teams survive the next year.

18 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

To be fair, average point is what they used for our league. The difference is that no teams changed places as a result.

According to article in DR, it was an “independent decision” not made by the clubs.  At least they got that bit right.  Plus sharing of title where it was too close to call (Darvel & Blantyre), as should have happened with Raith & Falkirk.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tommy-sloan-junior-league-decision-21910279.amp?__twitter_impression=true

8 hours ago, Cfirejkl said:

Don’t understand a 4 league system in a country of less than 6m

I understand that there is the selling point of the Old Firm 4 times a season, but who else wants to play another team 4 times

Just hope enough teams survive the next year.

The other teams in the Premier League want to play the Old Firm 4 times

Maybe someday those in football will listen to the fans. Football is the only entertainment industry that doesn't pay any attention to its customers and then wonders why more people don't attend games! We suffer from too many clubs and small leagues that don't work! 

I have stated a preference for 3 Leagues of 14 but I would really like to return to a first division of 18 teams (playing 34 games a season). In addition Gate money to be split between the teams 50/50  or 55/45 after expenses are deducted (stewards, police etc).  Rangers and Celtic have not prospered by keeping their gate money. Neither is anywhere near winning or reaching a European Final. 

Under the above arrangement all clubs will find their footballing and financial level in time.  Clubs like Killie, Hibs, St Johnstone and hopefully eventually The Jags will earn more from a 45/50% split of gate money from one away game at Celtic and Rangers than under the present system of 4 home games. 

If Rangers (once they are financially stable) and Celtic don't like it tell them to go and play somewhere else! 

We all did better in a bigger league.  Celtic, Rangers, Kilmarnock, Dunfermline, Dundee, and to a lesser extent the Edinburgh Clubs all did better in Europe under the old 18 team League and distribution of gate money arrangements! 

18 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

The other teams in the Premier League want to play the Old Firm 4 times

This. It's become more apparent over the last few years with teams, including us, giving up the majority of their stadium to accommodate them. The current set up is nice and cosy for any team in the Premiership, it's all very similar to the conditions that led to the SPL breakaway.

The problem for the old firm now though as I see it, is that Celtic have exponentially outgrown Sevco in financial terms, since they morphed into their new entity. They've had the run of it for so long now it is hard to see how that could possibly swing back to any sort of parity even if the other half were to win a league at some point, which I personally just don't see happening anytime soon. Rangers just aren't Celtic's main focus for income these days, they'd most likely do whatever they could to widen the gap given the chance.

European football / The Champions League is only going to expand over time and Celtic will be bursting to be part of that, more so than getting 4 league derby games, so a domestic league with fewer games might actually suit them in the longer term at some point. It's only at that point I could see any real expansion of the Premiership.

16 or 18 team top tier, let Celtic crack on and do what they like with regards to expanded European involvement and focus, they'll continue to make much more than the rest in any scenario anyway, and the rest of us hopefully get a more enjoyable and accessible top league set up for fans out of it. The other up-shot being that the h*ns would likely wither again without their quarterly dose of hatred fuelled affirmation to keep them going.

Unlikely as that may be because in reality the other premiership clubs also still want the 4 OF gates a year along with minimal relegation risk. It will only happen if/when it suits Celtic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jagtastic said:

This. It's become more apparent over the last few years with teams, including us, giving up the majority of their stadium to accommodate them. The current set up is nice and cosy for any team in the Premiership, it's all very similar to the conditions that led to the SPL breakaway.

The problem for the old firm now though as I see it, is that Celtic have exponentially outgrown Sevco in financial terms, since they morphed into their new entity. They've had the run of it for so long now it is hard to see how that could possibly swing back to any sort of parity even if the other half were to win a league at some point, which I personally just don't see happening anytime soon. Rangers just aren't Celtic's main focus for income these days, they'd most likely do whatever they could to widen the gap given the chance.

European football / The Champions League is only going to expand over time and Celtic will be bursting to be part of that, more so than getting 4 league derby games, so a domestic league with fewer games might actually suit them in the longer term at some point. It's only at that point I could see any real expansion of the Premiership.

16 or 18 team top tier, let Celtic crack on and do what they like with regards to expanded European involvement and focus, they'll continue to make much more than the rest in any scenario anyway, and the rest of us hopefully get a more enjoyable and accessible top league set up for fans out of it. The other up-shot being that the h*ns would likely wither again without their quarterly dose of hatred fuelled affirmation to keep them going.

Unlikely as that may be because in reality the other premiership clubs also still want the 4 OF gates a year along with minimal relegation risk. It will only happen if/when it suits Celtic.

A 16 or 18 team league would potentially aid Rangers trying to catch Celtic, they know Celtic have outgrown them financially so can't catch them in the current set-up unless Celtic's next manager is John Barnes. Other teams playing Celtic only twice a season have less chance of going for damage limitation, and may actually go for it against them

12 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

A 16 or 18 team league would potentially aid Rangers trying to catch Celtic, they know Celtic have outgrown them financially so can't catch them in the current set-up unless Celtic's next manager is John Barnes. Other teams playing Celtic only twice a season have less chance of going for damage limitation, and may actually go for it against them

Possibly. The main point is that it won’t happen without Celtic having some guaranteed extended form of European involvement.

SG releasing a paper later today about what post lockdown looks like - guess that will give us a more clear view re when we can expect to next be at a game

As an aside, Merkel stating Germany are easing restrictions too quickly......

59 minutes ago, jaf said:

SG releasing a paper later today about what post lockdown looks like - guess that will give us a more clear view re when we can expect to next be at a game

As an aside, Merkel stating Germany are easing restrictions too quickly......

Not hopeful at all , the SG seem to putting all their eggs in the one basket , seem to be holding out for a vaccine which could be 12/18 months time , by that time the economy will be an absolute disaster.

9 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Not hopeful at all , the SG seem to putting all their eggs in the one basket , seem to be holding out for a vaccine which could be 12/18 months time , by that time the economy will be an absolute disaster.

There's another solution to this pandemic? You could be very rich.

15 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

There's another solution to this pandemic? You could be very rich.

But we’re hedging our bets on a vaccine which may or may not come, what happens if there is no vaccine ( SARS etc) it’s a debate whether the amount of destruction by not restarting the economy is worse than the virus itself .

A normal year from flu accounts for 400/500 victims whereas just now we’re standing at 1120 victims of COVID 19 which is obviously more.

Just now , there are lots of businesses been affected by the lock down, some are not been helped at all by local council and government.

These businesses employ lots of employees who will end up claiming benefits as some of these businesses have no chance of ever reopening especially in the Hospitality industry and I would include football in that as well .

In any business if there is no revenue coming in and fixed expenditures going out wages , utilities etc they don’t last very long .

The Scottish government have gave out plenty of recommendations eg no football with or without spectators but very little at this moment in the way of recompense to try and keep Clubs afloat .

Playing devils advocate, there has got to be a compromise somewhere along the line or it’s going to be a bankrupt country.