What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

41 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Yet the WHO are stating that catching it won’t make you immune so “Immunity passports” are currently a non starter 

https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/immunity-passports-in-the-context-of-covid-19

It is stating that it is still to be proved you will be immune, not it won't make you immune. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Yet the WHO are stating that catching it won’t make you immune so “Immunity passports” are currently a non starter 

https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/immunity-passports-in-the-context-of-covid-19

No what WHO have actually said I’d that they don’t know yet if people who have had the virus are then immune ....be precise 

2 hours ago, alexander livingstone said:

Another 800 people died yesterday,but they are still talking about playing Football in May.All the testing and tracing facilities will not be ready by then.

The number of deaths is a lagging indicator it’s better to look at new cases into hospital and the number of patients in intensive care they are better guides to the trend ....it is worth noting that prior to the virus alert there were 300 intensive care beds in Scotland and we currently have 141 Coronavirus patients in icu 

• Like 1

Moving away from Covid-19 just for the moment.

I see from various news sources there is a growing momentum for a 14 team SPL. 

The structure below the SPL seems to be less clear with two models emerging 3 Leagues of 10 (overall 14/10/10/10) and two of 14 (overall 14/14/14/)

My preference if one of the above would be 3x14.

Either model keeps Jags in the Championship but won't solve problems of Scottish Football. IMO we need bigger leagues! 

Everyone Keep save, Keep well and Respect & Protect all our brave and dedicated NHS Staff. 

10 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Either model keeps Jags in the Championship but won't solve problems of Scottish Football. IMO we need bigger leagues!

I think that by the time this is all over it will take more than just bigger league divisions to save Scottish football, especially at a professional level. The distribution of money among the clubs is one that will seriously need looking at. Voting systems for changes which put all the power (and therefore the biggest share of the cash) into the hands of two clubs will not be sustainable. TV deals which rely on those same two clubs playing each other multiple times exarcebate the problems. We need to look at Scottish professional football from top tpo bottom and try to get a system which is sustainable, provides entertainment and most of all is fair for everyone. That includes all football fans and not just the ones who follow the richer clubs. Gate receipt splits have already been mentioned but things like players' wages, transfer fees, entry costs and the prize money distribution also need to be faced up to.

Is there a case perhaps for merging Divisions 1 and 2 into Div 1 North and Div 1 South? I've never understood the logic of asking Elgin City to travel to Stranraer midweek or vice versa.  It would certainly reduce travelling costs for clubs and supporters and part-time players wouldn't need to take time off work to travel to these fixtures.  The North and South top teams could play off for promotion. Clubs relegated from the Championship would slot in to the North or South division depending on location. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

Is there a case perhaps for merging Divisions 1 and 2 into Div 1 North and Div 1 South? I've never understood the logic of asking Elgin City to travel to Stranraer midweek or vice versa.  

I fail to see how long the status quo can survive. It's not just the distances/time involved it's the fact Stranraer and Elgin will play four times a season. That virtually means at least one of those four fixtures will be slated for mid winter increasing the odds of postponement and the inevitable midweek game. Anyone shocked most of the part time clubs voted to derail the possibility of Brora Rangers joining their club? 

4 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

Is there a case perhaps for merging Divisions 1 and 2 into Div 1 North and Div 1 South? I've never understood the logic of asking Elgin City to travel to Stranraer midweek or vice versa.  It would certainly reduce travelling costs for clubs and supporters and part-time players wouldn't need to take time off work to travel to these fixtures.  The North and South top teams could play off for promotion. Clubs relegated from the Championship would slot in to the North or South division depending on location. 

Seems to be a sensible proposition.  I wonder what reasons the governing bodies would give to its objection?

4 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

An interesting idea, certainly cements the existing  pathway from Highland and Lowland leagues more fully into the league structure.

On 4/24/2020 at 7:42 AM, West of Scotland said:

I thought that back in the day, crowds were dwindling due to an overabundance of meaningless games in the larger leagues, which is why the ten team divisions were invented in the first place; not that they stopped the decline, but that's due to a multitude of factors.

Regardless, Scottish clubs probably did better in Europe back then simply because the quality of Scottish football wasn't as absolutely gash as it is now, and I doubt league sizes is going to improve that.

I think it will improve the quality of player/play as an 18 team league will provide middle order clubs like ours with a bigger comfort zone, hopefully, allowing more scope to develop our own talent! 

15 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

Boring, same teams shit

21 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

I think we discussed something like this in an earlier post and IMO it is the set-up that makes most sense. If we could also structure the leagues financially to make it so that teams playing young Scottish born players were rewarded, we might just improve the quality of our game? Now that Scottish football is geared towards the senior game we could [will] find in the next 10 to 20 years the likes of Auchinleck, Killwining and Pollok rise up through the pyramid system, this will be a great incentive to those teams who previously played Junior football to raise their game.

My guess is that Scotland can support between 20 to 25 full time professional teams? …..  If the leagues were run along the basis of something like 14 'Premier', 14 'Championship' and 14 'League 1 North' and 14 'League 1 South' with the Highland League, Lowland League, East of Scotland League and West of Scotland leagues slotting in below that, I think we would have a healthy football league basis.

Mind you …. since it is unlikely there will be football [as we know it] this year, that 25 figure for the full time teams may change.

Two national leagues of 18, minimum 3 up/down. Put the bottom six clubs into the Highland/Lowland Leagues as appropriate. That is where they are going to end up in the next decade anyway. After that, automatic promotion and relegation into and out of the national leagues - 3 down each year.

With 3 or European spots and 3 relegation places to fight over for top flight clubs there will be plenty of excitement and very few meaningless games. Same for the second tier with at least 6 promotion or relegation spots. Plenty of movement through the pyramid too.

1 hour ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I think we discussed something like this in an earlier post and IMO it is the set-up that makes most sense. If we could also structure the leagues financially to make it so that teams playing young Scottish born players were rewarded, we might just improve the quality of our game? Now that Scottish football is geared towards the senior game we could [will] find in the next 10 to 20 years the likes of Auchinleck, Killwining and Pollok rise up through the pyramid system, this will be a great incentive to those teams who previously played Junior football to raise their game.

My guess is that Scotland can support between 20 to 25 full time professional teams? …..  If the leagues were run along the basis of something like 14 'Premier', 14 'Championship' and 14 'League 1 North' and 14 'League 1 South' with the Highland League, Lowland League, East of Scotland League and West of Scotland leagues slotting in below that, I think we would have a healthy football league basis.

Mind you …. since it is unlikely there will be football [as we know it] this year, that 25 figure for the full time teams may change.

I always believed that a number of the juniors, and Pollok immediately come to mind, weren't that interested in joining the "senior" ranks.  A quote, albeit 2018, from the Evening Times:

The juniors were just fine, thanks very much. They had good players, better than many senior teams, strong clubs and in many ways played by their own rules. It worked well for years. So many, and this is inarguable, were bigger and better run than those who ply their trades in what is now League One and Two. Perhaps even higher up.

Looking at average attendances, and appreciate this isn't everything, Pollok are comfortably above all of League 2, and match the likes of East Fife and Forfar. Given all the additional licensing costs  it makes you wonder why they would bother. It would seem to make more sense for League 2 teams, at least, to drop back into the junior ranks.

We rightly go on about how the SFA/Scottish League/SPL/SPFL have historically pandered to the ugly sisters. Rarely do we mention how the lower league clubs (and by definition I mean part time clubs, who have no ambition to ever go full time) opposed anything like a pyramid system. For most of their existence the only way to drop out of the Scottish League was by going bust. Even today we see Brechin saved from the drop as there's no automatic relegation in place.

This stifles Scottish football to an extent and allows the tail to wag the dug or at least the same effect. To put it bluntly those clubs will nearly always vote for the status quo as long as the trap door remains shut, or as it now is slightly ajar. It might mean that the only way to get larger leagues will be along the lines of 16-16-10 (14-18-10*). That way the third tier remains the same and they can keep  their semi restricted practice. Unfair on a handful of clubs below them with ambition but I suppose no worse for them than the present system.

*the 14 club top tier retains the split and thus the sacrosanct 4 x OF games. 

11 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

We rightly go on about how the SFA/Scottish League/SPL/SPFL have historically pandered to the ugly sisters. Rarely do we mention how the lower league clubs (and by definition I mean part time clubs, who have no ambition to ever go full time) opposed anything like a pyramid system. For most of their existence the only way to drop out of the Scottish League was by going bust. Even today we see Brechin saved from the drop as there's no automatic relegation in place.

This stifles Scottish football to an extent and allows the tail to wag the dug or at least the same effect. To put it bluntly those clubs will nearly always vote for the status quo as long as the trap door remains shut, or as it now is slightly ajar. It might mean that the only way to get larger leagues will be along the lines of 16-16-10 (14-18-10*). That way the third tier remains the same and they can keep  their semi restricted practice. Unfair on a handful of clubs below them with ambition but I suppose no worse for them than the present system.

*the 14 club top tier retains the split and thus the sacrosanct 4 x OF games. 

I do have (an albeit clumsy) suggestion as to  how this could work meaning less meaningless games and keeping the OF happy. Key to it is 75% of prize money is distributed on the league placings after 30 games, with 25% distributed based on post split points in each grouping, making all games very meaningful. ( I have a spreadsheet for the cash distribution compared to at moment, but wont bore you with that!!!)

16-16- Regional

Top league of 16 :

Everyone plays everyone else home and away - 30 games

1st to 4th play eachother home and away with points carrying - 36 game season (assumed 4OF games)

5th to 8th - play eachother home and away with points carrying - 36 game season

9th to 12th - as 5th to 8th - 36 game season

13th to 16th and 1st to 4th in second tier - two leg QF, SF and final - winning quarter finalists play in top tier in following season - SF, and final just for cash!  - between 32 game season and 36 game season for finalists

Second tier of 16 :

1st to 4th  - mentioned above

5th to 12th - per top division

13th to 16th and top 2 from each regional league play two leg knock out games for league status - 32 game season

I know those who hate manufactured splits will hate such a proposal,  but its a hybrid plan listening to all the complaints about the various other propositions.

23 minutes ago, Aliballibee said:

I always believed that a number of the juniors, and Pollok immediately come to mind, weren't that interested in joining the "senior" ranks.  A quote, albeit 2018, from the Evening Times:

The juniors were just fine, thanks very much. They had good players, better than many senior teams, strong clubs and in many ways played by their own rules. It worked well for years. So many, and this is inarguable, were bigger and better run than those who ply their trades in what is now League One and Two. Perhaps even higher up.

Looking at average attendances, and appreciate this isn't everything, Pollok are comfortably above all of League 2, and match the likes of East Fife and Forfar. Given all the additional licensing costs  it makes you wonder why they would bother. It would seem to make more sense for League 2 teams, at least, to drop back into the junior ranks.

You make a fair point regards anyone in the Junior ranks wanting to be a part of a league structure that is not in itself a shining example of fairness and balance [especially at the 'top end'] but to date 67 Junior or Amateur clubs have expressed a wish to be part of a West of Scotland league in season 2020 / 2021. I think some [most?] of the clubs have also retained a membership of the WRSJFA to ensure they can play in the Scottish Junior Cup competition.

Whether season 2020 / 2021 actually happens remains to be seen.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nohidingplace said:

League 2 clubs all support a 14-14-14 structure. Thoughts 

If it’s play each other twice then split to 2 x 7 and play each other twice that’s 38 games that works out fine for me. I don’t fancy playing each other 3 times like the last time we had leagues of 14. 

I assume (hope) 2 up and 2 down with no play offs, with Highland & Lowland league winners getting automatic promotion. Keeps it all straightforward