What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

4 hours ago, javeajag said:

A small country with. 5.5m population we can just about support two leagues with total club numbers of between 24 and 32 

I know what you mean and these numbers will always exceed the number of full time clubs. I'd suggest tho' that there's scope for a more cohesive pyramid system and the number of clubs should be academic. I'm not tho' suggesting that under such a set up all clubs come under the auspices of the SPFL, who are failing miserably as an organisation as it is. 

21 hours ago, javeajag said:

Italy were probably 3 or 4 weeks ahead of the UK in the curve of this thing- so at the earliest we are looking at middle of June before any training gets started.

And that’s assuming we follow the same exit strategy.

1 hour ago, McKennan said:

On what calculation is this based, Javeajag?

Nothing scientific if you look at Norway and Denmark who also have 5m populations they basically have two divisions and a pyramid below , we also have a distorted market with the ugly sisters and many senior clubs who are in reality junior clubs ....so looking here 2 duvions with a pyramid below seems sensible 

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I know what you mean and these numbers will always exceed the number of full time clubs. I'd suggest tho' that there's scope for a more cohesive pyramid system and the number of clubs should be academic. I'm not tho' suggesting that under such a set up all clubs come under the auspices of the SPFL, who are failing miserably as an organisation as it is. 

I agree two divisions with a pyramid structure below 

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Italy were probably 3 or 4 weeks ahead of the UK in the curve of this thing- so at the earliest we are looking at middle of June before any training gets started.

And that’s assuming we follow the same exit strategy.

That looks about right 

59 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I agree two divisions with a pyramid structure below 

Likewise.  And my preference would be for enough teams in each (18 min) to play each other home & away (ie no split)

important to have a pyramid below to give those small teams an avenue to the top flights.   Some small clubs are the identity of a community 

Iceland is interesting: 12, 12, 12, and 10. In the first three, it's two relegated and two promoted, no play-offs. There is a play-off between the bottom of the 10-team division and the winners of one of the four lower-tier league, who themselves have a play-off to get to that point.

They play during their "summer" (May-September), and seem to do quite well at international level. 

All of this in a country with a population  considerably less than  Edinburgh.

5 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

the h*ns, the diet h*ns & stranraer have teamed up to trigger an SPFL egm - the blue filth to stump up their 'evidence' in advance of the May 12th meeting 

I wonder why we did not get involved considering we are arguably the worst affected by this mess?

This was put together by Troon FC. It illustrates what we have at the moment . 

The bottom left hand of the pyramid is the new WoS league which at the moment has almost 70 teams registered to play. I think the plan for the WoS set-up is to have 4 leagues of 18 [ish]

SFA-PYRAMID-600x516.jpg

Edited by ARu-Strathbungo
clarification

On 4/26/2020 at 10:43 AM, scotty said:

I think that by the time this is all over it will take more than just bigger league divisions to save Scottish football, especially at a professional level. The distribution of money among the clubs is one that will seriously need looking at. Voting systems for changes which put all the power (and therefore the biggest share of the cash) into the hands of two clubs will not be sustainable. TV deals which rely on those same two clubs playing each other multiple times exarcebate the problems. We need to look at Scottish professional football from top tpo bottom and try to get a system which is sustainable, provides entertainment and most of all is fair for everyone. That includes all football fans and not just the ones who follow the richer clubs. Gate receipt splits have already been mentioned but things like players' wages, transfer fees, entry costs and the prize money distribution also need to be faced up to.

I agree completely with all that you say. 

What you are referring to is a root and branch overhaul of Scottish football. 

I support 3x14 as a short term pragmatic  measure. 

I am already on record of advocating 2 x18 team divisions with a pyramid structure below plus a distribution of gate money  on a 60-40 basis or better. Implied in this is a fairer distribution of all monies. 

However I am not knowledgeable about TV contracts, sponsorship, players contracts so leave that to those who do know.  I do know two things

1. The current arrangements are not wkrking

2. The good sense demonstrated on this forum related to possible future league structures will not be replicated by the powers and  the root and branch change will never happen; too much vested ingerest! 

I hope I am wrong on point 2 and  will be very pleasantly surprised if I am! 

4 hours ago, elevenone said:

I wonder why we did not get involved considering we are arguably the worst affected by this mess?

Good question.

Should the Club not be explaining their reasoning to the fans?

Maybe they just don't want to get into bed with Sevco  or maybe they have reaised the "evidence"  is  hot air??

I see the point as the 'worst' affected club there is a strong case that we  should be in there  banging the drum! We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that this drum banging is not just about the alleged conduct of the SPFL its also about Rangers not wanting Celtic to be given the League Title.

Throughout this shambolic affair we have maintained a professional and dignified silence and I see no reason to change this approach at this time.  Rangers have the power and influence to batter away at the SPFL and win or lose, emerge unscathed. We don't! 

I think we should continue working away quietly to seek justice and fairness and do all that we can to make sure that when football resumes we are still in the championship! The best way to do this is by being mature and responsible and by participating fully, even taking a leading ROLE, in the reconstruction talks, not by attacking the SPFL!

I know many will read the above as yet another weak  appeasement response and perhaps they will be correct. I simply think that there is more than one way to win this argument and that for us the argument is remaining in the championship and staying one step away from the SPL! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Emsca said:

Good question.

Should the Club not be explaining their reasoning to the fans?

Maybe they just don't want to get into bed with Sevco  or maybe they have reaised the "evidence"  is  hot air??

I feel that if Rangers had any compelling evidence they would have released it long ago. I'm sure that this is all posturing by them to appease the sizeable mouth breather element of their support who will do anything to deny Celtic the title. I would like to be wrong though.

We need to recognise that all the reconstruction options are likely to be heavily influenced by the number of clubs that go to the wall over the next few months.   That in itself will probably keep us in the second tier,  whatever shape that division takes.  

I think it's inconceivable that we will still have 42 clubs to participate next season - whenever it starts- unless we are able to  bring in a large number from the pyramid. 

I'd  be in favour of 3 x14s - as the 2nd Division clubs are arguing for, as a temporary expedient, if we can muster 42 clubs.

Edited by AirdrieJag

36 minutes ago, AirdrieJag said:

We need to recognise that all the reconstruction options are likely to be heavily influenced by the number of clubs that go to the wall over the next few months.   That in itself will probably keep us in the second tier,  whatever shape that division takes.  

I think it's inconceivable that we will still have 42 clubs to participate next season - whenever it starts- unless we are able to  bring in a large number from the pyramid. 

I'd  be in favour of 3 x14s - as the 2nd Division clubs are arguing for, as a temporary expedient, if we can muster 42 clubs.

I think we will get 42 clubs, but how many of them will be full-time professional, part-time professional or semi-pro will massively change from what we have at present

15 hours ago, javeajag said:

Nothing scientific if you look at Norway and Denmark who also have 5m populations they basically have two divisions and a pyramid below , we also have a distorted market with the ugly sisters and many senior clubs who are in reality junior clubs ....so looking here 2 duvions with a pyramid below seems sensible 

Norway has 2 top leagues  (Elite then OBOS) then splits into 2 regional leagues due to travel costs. Below that is level 4 made up 6 leagues of 14 clubs.

Elite series - 16 teams. 2 down plus a playoff with 14th - Full time teams

OBOS - 16 teams. 2 up 2 down. plus 3rd to 6th play a playoff for promotion, and 14th for relegation- Full time teams

Post Nord leagues - 2 leagues 14 in each. Winner of both groups goes up, 2nd in each play each other for a chance to play 14th in OBOS, botom 3 from each league go down - Part time teams

Tipping -  6 leagues 14 in each. Winner from each league goes up. Bottom 4 from each league go down to localized regional leagues  - Part time teams

Remembering in Norway if Viking Vs Tromso game is a 30 hour drive or 3 hour flight if you fly direct (Same as Glasgow to Spain), and there are games further  apart than that. 

I have not followed all of this debate. Regularly however I see mention of clubs not surviving in the near future. And this might have an impact on where Thistle might find themselves plaui g and the structure of the leagues. 

My question is, who are these clubs in peril? Clearly during the "Votegate" affair representatives of Inverness stated that they had "one knee down". But are there significant others who may just vanish? 

And please no daft Parkhead driven the lights are going out at Ibrox stuff because its just part of their on-going boring spat and I can't really get enthused for any more of it.