What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Kelty Hearts, obviously a club with ambition, release an interesting statement. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EWsH4ivXsAAQpto?format=jpg&name=large

Can't disagree with their general point. The problem they have is that 14, 10, 10, 10 requires 11 top league clubs to agree. At least I think that's the case. Self preservation has already kicked in in Div 2.  Looks dead in the water. 

4 hours ago, MMCF said:

I have not followed all of this debate. Regularly however I see mention of clubs not surviving in the near future. And this might have an impact on where Thistle might find themselves plaui g and the structure of the leagues. 

My question is, who are these clubs in peril? Clearly during the "Votegate" affair representatives of Inverness stated that they had "one knee down". But are there significant others who may just vanish? 

And please no daft Parkhead driven the lights are going out at Ibrox stuff because its just part of their on-going boring spat and I can't really get enthused for any more of it. 

To be honest, I don't know specifically which clubs are in danger of going under.  However, I reckon any club which doesn't have a rich owner with deep pockets, has a high player wage to revenue ratio, has a high number of players on contract after May, is carrying debt or doesn't have significant reserves, has to be vulnerable. That probably includes most SPFL clubs. 

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

Cite Sporting Integrity then go on to plot out how they’ll effectively ‘buy’ their way into the league :lol:

Don’t think that’s entirely fair , there has been a lot of money invested in the Lowland League and they joined from the Junior ranks to be part of the pyramid to possibly join the senior ranks .

Kelty Hearts have spent a lot of money to get where they’re at just now with Barry Ferguson as manager , paid out good wages to Michael Tidser , Nathan Austin, Tam Scobbie etc  only to be told that the SPFL have decided to change the rules again . Why weren’t Brechin relegated ( strange one that ! ) 

The pyramid structure is giving ambitious Clubs the chance to join the professional ranks and that’s what needed , there is too many dead beat clubs treading water , clubs like Kelty Hearts , Bonnyrigg Rose and Auchinleck Talbot would easily hold their own in the Senior ranks and they’re also better supported than a lot of clubs in the bottom leagues.

Surely we’re looking for progression in Scottish football, what Kelty Hearts said in their statement was only to try and make their investment over the last couple of years worthwhile.

Think the SPFL make up their own rules as they go along .

• Like 3

We are a bit behind other countries with this pandemic, so i think we will be keeping a very close eye on other countries who start up sporting events before us. If sport starts and another wave of Coronavirus starts up it could shut sport down for even longer than it has been so far.

Spain update ....

The plan for Spanish football: players can train individually from May 4th. A week later, training in small groups allowed if health requirements met. Overall a 6-8 week period of gradual relaxation of restrictions until "new normal" circa end of June, says Pedro Sánchez.

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

We are a bit behind other countries with this pandemic, so i think we will be keeping a very close eye on other countries who start up sporting events before us. If sport starts and another wave of Coronavirus starts up it could shut sport down for even longer than it has been so far.

This is a good point. I understand they reopened gyms in China for example  but have subsequently closed them again.  The reconstruction they are looking at for next season is “how do we organise the leagues so it’s flexible and we can play less games if necessary”. 

3 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Why weren’t Brechin relegated ( strange one that ! ) 

No stranger than all the other playoffs being scrapped as part of the SPFL ‘end the season early’ plan. Kelty weren’t guaranteed promotion, they were in a playoff place just the same as Falkirk, ICT and a load of other clubs who lost their opportunity to go up via the playoffs. No other team in a relegation playoff position was relegated as a result of their plan so it would have been unfair to relegate Brechin.

57 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

No stranger than all the other playoffs being scrapped as part of the SPFL ‘end the season early’ plan. Kelty weren’t guaranteed promotion, they were in a playoff place just the same as Falkirk, ICT and a load of other clubs who lost their opportunity to go up via the playoffs. No other team in a relegation playoff position was relegated as a result of their plan so it would have been unfair to relegate Brechin.

They weren’t in the  play off place at all , they were leading their division, we got relegated, Stranraer got relegated, if no Reconstruction happens Hearts get relegated as well, so  happens Ken Ferguson of Brechin is on the SPFL committee as well

As I said strange  

10 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Why weren’t Brechin relegated ( strange one that ! )

Not particularly. This was a vote about what to do with the SPFL. Brechin are a member of the organisation while Brora/Keilty are not. If Brechin were to be relegated, it would effectively be the other members voting to kick them out of the organisation. Thistle/Stranraer/Hearts may be relegated but will still be members of the SPFL.

7 hours ago, JeanieD said:

Kelty have a point but so do Clyde in their respective announcements,  both are made with an element of self -interest,  as well as a nod to relative  fairness given the unusual circumstances.

Not sure about Clyde to be honest, they would be playing at the same level they are at the moment, the third tier. They aren’t being put down, as is being positioned, they just aren’t moving up.

26 minutes ago, Jagtastic said:

Not sure about Clyde to be honest, they would be playing at the same level they are at the moment, the third tier. They aren’t being put down, as is being positioned, they just aren’t moving up.

Anyone who ends up in the bottom league and only one drop away from non league football as a result of reconstruction is going to be justifiably unhappy about it. Clyde would have very solid grounds for complaint.

You can't just look from the top and then count down the way.

Full reconstruction at this stage is wrong. If it's to be done at all it should only be to address the anomaly of relegation where the season didn't end. The current situation, with uncertainty over when football will recommence and what state the clubs will be in makes it inappropriate.

But more fundamentally, and as almost all Thistle fans would argue, the current position of clubs within their leagues is questionable as they are based on an uncompleted season. To place clubs in an entirely new structure on that basis is completely unfair, and we'd be hypocritical to argue otherwise.

Edited by allyo

14 minutes ago, allyo said:

Anyone who ends up in the bottom league and only one drop away from non league football as a result of reconstruction is going to be justifiably unhappy about it. Clyde would have very solid grounds for complaint.

Full reconstruction at this stage is wrong. If it's to be done at all it should only be to address the anomaly of relegation where the season didn't end. The current situation, with uncertainty over when football will recommence and what state the clubs will be in makes it inappropriate.

But more fundamentally, and as almost all Thistle fans would argue, the current position of clubs within their leagues is questionable as they are based on an uncompleted season. To place clubs in an entirely new structure on that basis is completely unfair, and we'd be hypocritical to argue otherwise.

Is this not what is being proposed here? How is no relegation for this season to be achieved otherwise, when no movement at all has been ruled out?

Arguably Clyde could be in a better position to challenge for promotion to what would be a more lucrative Championship, for them. 

I don’t think it’s being particularly hypocritical when as things stand we are down and have accepted as much if no further solution can be found. 

If Clyde end up in the bottom league which comprises of all ten teams from the league below them, and the bottom four clubs from their own current league; then it would be hard not to see that as a relegation. And they weren't even in a relegation position.

In my view what would be imposed on Clyde in a 14-14-14 structure would be more unfair than what would be imposed on Thistle with a straight relegation.

14-10-10-10 is the only way I can see to resolve it fairly, though even that has compromises, and "losers". But not to the same extent, at least it's still a four league structure and no one ends up further down.

Edited by allyo

35 minutes ago, allyo said:

I completely agree with you. Despite the inherent unfairness of restructuring in the current circumstances, I would still like to see a 14, 14,14 structure happen. To me it's a far better set up than we have presently. This isn't primarily self-interest on my part, I honestly can't stand 10 team divisions. Can totally understand why Clyde, Kelty and Brora would be pissed off. 

I suspect it won't happen however. 

2 minutes ago, allyo said:

If Clyde end up in a league which comprises of all ten teams from the league below them, and the bottom four clubs from their own current league; then it would be hard not to see that as a relegation. And they weren't even in a relegation position.

In my view what would be imposed on Clyde in a 14-14-14 structure would be more unfair than what would be imposed on Thistle with a straight relegation.

Fair enough, you/they can see it as a relegation if you want but by definition it wouldn’t be, and that is how it will be positioned by the SPFL.

7 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

They weren’t in the  play off place at all , they were leading their division, we got relegated, Stranraer got relegated, if no Reconstruction happens Hearts get relegated as well, so  happens Ken Ferguson of Brechin is on the SPFL committee as well

As I said strange  

There’s a difference between automatic promotion and a playoff. Being top of their league doesn’t guarantee promotion, even in normal circumstances. Don’t let the facts get in the way of your conspiracy theory though.

26 minutes ago, Jagtastic said:

Fair enough, you/they can see it as a relegation if you want but by definition it wouldn’t be, and that is how it will be positioned by the SPFL.

Possibly, but affected clubs will see through it.

You could take the same logic and flip it around. In a 14-14-14 structure Dundee United would not be promoted, as they'd still be playing in the third league up from the bottom.

Or another way to look at it. Let's say a 20-12-10 structure was proposed. Thistle and QOS are allocated to play in the second tier, with all of last season's League 1 clubs. Would you not view that as relegation?

Edited by allyo