What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

5 hours ago, Emsca said:

So who regulates this and who takes action if Directors fail in that fiduciary duty?

Can we expect action to be taken against the Directors of ICT and East Fife? 

ICT and East Fife perhaps both perceived it was in the best interests of their clubs to vote no. Both may have harboured hopes of being promoted via playoffs for example, and only playing out  the season would allow for that?

I think passing the vote took away a bargaining chip for negotiating reconstruction to the most obvious 14-10-10-10 structure. Which would promote ICT, Falkirk and Edinburgh City and save Hearts, Thistle and Stranraer. In that context the voting was almost entirely predictable, with East Fife the only outlier.

And Sevco, but they obviously have a 500 year old agenda to satisfy, despite their short history.

Edited by allyo

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

You’re right , it was financial blackmail and it looks like they’re going down that route again telling Clubs about the cost of an independent inquiry if Clubs decide that is the way to go .

Think they’re probably protesting too much 

Who authorised the cost of the Deloitte (whitewash) one?

19 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Ramping up production of what? There is no vaccine.

they believe the vaccine Oxford are currently testing will work and are spending serious money to begin production when it’s ready

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/04/28/world/europe/28reuters-health-coronavirus-india-vaccine.html

I suspect the trials on monkeys are giving them confidence 

https://www.businessinsider.com/monkeys-given-new-oxford-vaccine-coronavirus-free-strong-exposure-encouraging-2020-4

6 minutes ago, javeajag said:

they believe the vaccine Oxford are currently testing will work and are spending serious money to begin production when it’s ready

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/04/28/world/europe/28reuters-health-coronavirus-india-vaccine.html

I suspect the trials on monkeys are giving them confidence 

https://www.businessinsider.com/monkeys-given-new-oxford-vaccine-coronavirus-free-strong-exposure-encouraging-2020-4

Yes, I'm aware of all that.

So nobody is ramping up production. Your optimism is getting ahead of itself.

16 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Yes, I'm aware of all that.

So nobody is ramping up production. Your optimism is getting ahead of itself.

so this quote from Serum is incorrect ?

‘At great personal cost and risk, we are starting manufacturing right away to ensure there is no shortage once the trials are done and the vaccine can reach a wide number of people ASAP,” Adar tweeted last week.’

From here 

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3082193/indias-vaccine-king-bets-big-oxford-university

12 minutes ago, javeajag said:

so this quote from Serum is incorrect ?

‘At great personal cost and risk, we are starting manufacturing right away to ensure there is no shortage once the trials are done and the vaccine can reach a wide number of people ASAP,” Adar tweeted last week.’

From here 

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3082193/indias-vaccine-king-bets-big-oxford-university

I wouldn't call 'about to start production' ramping up but that's semantics.

I hope the virus from Oxford proves to be effective. It will be some time before we know.

4 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

I wouldn't call 'about to start production' ramping up but that's semantics.

I hope the virus from Oxford proves to be effective. It will be some time before we know.

Let’s agree they are planning to produce the vaccine very shortly and are starting production in the near future .....before the vaccine has been approved .....good signs .....we may know in June 

Frightened to ask but...

Where do international politics come into this?

A vaccine is going to be a massive economic advantage to those who have it. When available, is the vaccine shared freely, only available to those who can afford it, or restricted from those who might be seen as global competitors?

(Pretty sure "shared freely" can be ruled out right away)

Edited by allyo

5 minutes ago, allyo said:

Frightened to ask but...

Where do international politics come into this?

A vaccine is going to be a massive economic advantage to those who have it. When available, is the vaccine shared freely, only available to those who can afford it, or restricted from those who might be seen as global competitors?

(Pretty sure "shared freely" can be ruled out right away)

The Oxford plan is to have partners across the world to produce their vaccine .....Astra Zeneca for the U.K., Serum for Asia etc....there will also be other vaccines 

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

It would be the shareholders of the club who would deselect members of the board at an AGM (or EGM if it was serious) if they were not working in the best interests of the organisation they have invested in. Effectively what Rangers, Hearts and Stranraer are doing to the SPFL. 

That would happen in a commercial company situation , where the shareholders and the Directors are not always closely aligned.

In the murky old world of Scottish football, I would suggest that the Board of Directors and the Shareholders of most Clubs are largely one and the same or if not that there is a very close association between the two. I do not believe that any Clubs would have voted without the approval of their main shareholders, So I continue to believe that this fidicary duty argument is a smokescreen.

The Clubs that voted Yes knew the consequences  for PTFC and made the judgement that it was a price worth paying.  I am not saying we would not have done likewise but lets not pretend they had no choice.

48 minutes ago, javeajag said:

The Oxford plan is to have partners across the world to produce their vaccine .....Astra Zeneca for the U.K., Serum for Asia etc....there will also be other vaccines 

31 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Bill Gates foundation is providing finances to ensure that any vaccine is available globally 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Emsca said:

That would happen in a commercial company situation , where the shareholders and the Directors are not always closely aligned.

In the murky old world of Scottish football, I would suggest that the Board of Directors and the Shareholders of most Clubs are largely one and the same or if not that there is a very close association between the two. I do not believe that any Clubs would have voted without the approval of their main shareholders, So I continue to believe that this fidicary duty argument is a smokescreen.

The Clubs that voted Yes knew the consequences  for PTFC and made the judgement that it was a price worth paying.  I am not saying we would not have done likewise but lets not pretend they had no choice.

Exactly that. A company where all the shares are owned by an individual, or by the board members can do pretty much what they like. Effectively they report to themselves.

5 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Bill Gates foundation is providing finances to ensure that any vaccine is available globally 

Do a quick google check between the lab in Wuhan that patented a COVID strain to act as a bridge for AIDS treatment, and who was on the board of directors up to just after China started getting this, none other than Gates.

Theory is he is pumping so much of his cash into this as he feels partly responsible for it, if (as rumored) it escaped from a lab that he was linked to.

And on that theory of it escaping from the lab, China was able to provide and share with the world the genome for COVID in January, which is unbelievable speed for a new disease or even a new strain.

9 hours ago, allyo said:

Me and you are ahead of the game on this 

I am starting to think that 13-10-10-11 would be the easiest option to get through for the start of next season (assuming that is not delayed too long). There is very little impact on any club.

• SPL get 2 extra home games against Dundee Utd
  • Marginally less prize money in the other leagues, but only by 1 ranking place
  • League 2 clubs get 2 extra home games and if Brora/Keilty were to accept no prize money (which has been suggested) then little financial difference.

It could be made for just a single season, with the default to go back to 12-10-10-10 if wider reconstruction discussions fail. I would still prefer 16 or 18 team leagues myself, but I do think this solution is workable and achievable.

According to James Cairney (back page of this morning's Herald Sports Supplement) Thistle are one of the clubs "on the edge of a financial abyss" along with the other clubs destined to be relegated or denied promotion.  He urges clubs to see the big picture and stop the bickering.  Good luck with that James. Will be interested to see if there is any response from the Board.

Edited by a f kincaid