What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

If I was a professional footballer, I would not be at all happy about restarting training.   

A lot of players actually want to get back playing.....the premier league plans to have clubs testing players twice a week.....they are also at their age a lower risk 

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/04/30/croatia-football-star-in-spain-shockingly-happy-to-take-coronavirus-gamble-for-barcelona-if-la-liga-resumes/

If I was to take one side over the other between Neil Doncaster and Rangers I'm with Doncaster.

The evidence may prove otherwise but I suspect Rangers are going to make a complete arse of themselves this week.

Not saying the SPFL have done everything right, by any means. But the allegations go well beyond that.

2 hours ago, allyo said:

If I was to take one side over the other between Neil Doncaster and Rangers I'm with Doncaster.

The evidence may prove otherwise but I suspect Rangers are going to make a complete arse of themselves this week.

Not saying the SPFL have done everything right, by any means. But the allegations go well beyond that.

That may be so but it still leaves our top flight game  being run by a bunch of self-serving wasters (to put it politely).

The title of this thhread is "what if they shut down the season", well it's maybe time to start thinking about further than that and what if football can't start up again until next yeat (at least)? I just listened to Sportssound and it sounded as though some of them are just noticing the elephant in the room. To mix metaphors, maybe it's time for us football fans to "wake up and smell the coffee"! It could be six months or more before football as a spectator sport returns. TheEnglish Premier may consider closed door games but the cost and logistical dificulties of that will meke it almost impossible down there even with their non-relience on attending spectators. Here in Scotland football is still a sport which fans GO to watch. I for one don't like watching football on TV and so will never pay Sky or whoever to follow my club.

So what Scottish football authorities need to start looking at is a plan to put football into hibernation and how we're going to resurrect the game when a vaccine has been found!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, scotty said:

That may be so but it still leaves our top flight game  being run by a bunch of self-serving wasters (to put it politely).

What I struggle to understand is why a famously cash strapped organisation has to spend apparently 300,000 to 400,000 pounds a year employing someone in a position which appears to be largely administrative and with very little authority 

1 minute ago, allyo said:

What I struggle to understand is why a famously cash strapped organisation has to spend apparently 300,000 to 400,000 pounds a year employing someone in a position which appears to be largely administrative and with very little authority 

This can often happen when boards are made up of people who do not want to take any responsibility. They pass on all authority to the CEO. That often includes deciding what that CEO is paid.

5 hours ago, javeajag said:

A lot of players actually want to get back playing.....the premier league plans to have clubs testing players twice a week.....they are also at their age a lower risk 

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/04/30/croatia-football-star-in-spain-shockingly-happy-to-take-coronavirus-gamble-for-barcelona-if-la-liga-resumes/

and many more don’t

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52493894

44 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

If your under 40 and live in England the number of people who die  from the virus is 0.2% of the total according to the stats

the flattening of the curve doesn’t get rid of the virus but just makes it manageable.....at some point we will have to come out and manage the risks slightly differently 

Edited by javeajag

1 hour ago, scotty said:

The title of this thhread is "what if they shut down the season", well it's maybe time to start thinking about further than that and what if football can't start up again until next yeat (at least)? I just listened to Sportssound and it sounded as though some of them are just noticing the elephant in the room. To mix metaphors, maybe it's time for us football fans to "wake up and smell the coffee"! It could be six months or more before football as a spectator sport returns. TheEnglish Premier may consider closed door games but the cost and logistical dificulties of that will meke it almost impossible down there even with their non-relience on attending spectators. Here in Scotland football is still a sport which fans GO to watch. I for one don't like watching football on TV and so will never pay Sky or whoever to follow my club.

So what Scottish football authorities need to start looking at is a plan to put football into hibernation and how we're going to resurrect the game when a vaccine has been found!

The trouble with that Scotty , with very little income streams coming into football, how do football clubs survive? , can’t see the Scottish government being sympathetic and bailing out 42 Clubs.

There are not many businesses going to survive this if we wait for a vaccine, if there is even going to be one at all .

Slowly but surely we have to get back to some sort of normal and hopefully curtail the virus but it’s a huge gamble to put all your eggs in the one basket ( re vaccine) .

20 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

The trouble with that Scotty , with very little income streams coming into football, how do football clubs survive? , can’t see the Scottish government being sympathetic and bailing out 42 Clubs.

There are not many businesses going to survive this if we wait for a vaccine, if there is even going to be one at all .

Slowly but surely we have to get back to some sort of normal and hopefully curtail the virus but it’s a huge gamble to put all your eggs in the one basket ( re vaccine) .

With football, at a pro level,  it may well be a year zero scenario. For many businesses like shops and non-public workplaces, social distancing will be possible. But any which cannot enforce it will need to stay closed. Can you imagine 3 - 4,000 football fans queuing up to get in to a ground with 2 metres between them then having to wait at full time while stewards let them out one at a time? It may work in a small cinema or theatre but in a football ground?  Many clubs may not survive and probably the ones with bigger infrastructures will find it harder. A small club could probably survive with an admin worker and a groundsperson. It's the re-starting football which will be the challenge. The SPFL should be putting its efforts into a survival plan for the game and not just for the individual clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stillresigned said:

I honestly would not put any money on their being any football played in Scotland during this calendar year. 
I wouldn’t actually put any date on the game restarting, since I’m not a relation of Mystic Meg nor a potential Nobel Prize winner for Medicine.

For many top international players it will be hard. Leaving the safety of their home to travel across the world to the country they ply their trade in. Especially if that country is near the top of the only league table that's relevant. They will have to watch out for the muggers too. Can't see it happening.

2 hours ago, scotty said:

8 minutes ago, scotty said:

With football, at a pro level,  it may well be a year zero scenario. For many businesses like shops and non-public workplaces, social distancing will be possible. But any which cannot enforce it will need to stay closed. Can you imagine 3 - 4,000 football fans queuing up to get in to a ground with 2 metres between them then having to wait at full time while stewards let them out one at a time? It may work in a small cinema or theatre but in a football ground?  Many clubs may not survive and probably the ones with bigger infrastructures will find it harder. A small club could probably survive with an admin worker and a groundsperson. It's the re-starting football which will be the challenge. The SPFL should be putting its efforts into a survival plan for the game and not just for the individual clubs.

After listening to sportsound this afternoon, i have to agree with you Scotty. The Premier league in Scotland may find a way of playing games behind closed doors, but the leagues below that imo wont.Also before anybody kicks a ball in anger there is problems with training and getting players fit again, as pointed out by Dr John Maclean the SFA doctor.

19 minutes ago, scotty said:

An estimated £200,000 to £300,000 per club for the testing and no gate money would probably rule it out for most Scottish Premier League teams. I just can’t see the circumstances where it is both safe and economically viable to restart football in Scotland. I know that the age group of the players is statistically safe, but would you take the risk, and the support staff that they need are usually older.

40 minutes ago, scotty said:

The SPFL as they already said have no hidden money anywhere and that’s what needed for the game to survive here .

On a much bigger scale down South , the reason why they are so keen to play behind closed doors is the English Premier League would have to pay back 750 million in media rights .

There is no survival plan without any income streams, whether that’s the SPFL or the English Premiership , they’re not any different from anyone else , no income = no business 

26 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

An estimated £200,000 to £300,000 per club for the testing and no gate money would probably rule it out for most Scottish Premier League teams. I just can’t see the circumstances where it is both safe and economically viable to restart football in Scotland. I know that the age group of the players is statistically safe, but would you take the risk, and the support staff that they need are usually older.

You’re right in terms of cost in Scotland, definitely different down South where the cost of testing etc is rumoured to be £10 million but the stakes are much higher ( 750 million tv money) , there is no comparison up here .

3 hours ago, scotty said:

Have to agree with you Scotty. No amount of cafes opening along the Rhine or Swedish teams returning to training have any bearing or relevance to when Scottish football restarts. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

The SPFL as they already said have no hidden money anywhere and that’s what needed for the game to survive here .

On a much bigger scale down South , the reason why they are so keen to play behind closed doors is the English Premier League would have to pay back 750 million in media rights .

There is no survival plan without any income streams, whether that’s the SPFL or the English Premiership , they’re not any different from anyone else , no income = no business 

So what you are saying is football's finished?

11 minutes ago, scotty said:

So what you are saying is football's finished?

If you’re thinking about waiting for a vaccine in a years time , the answer is yes , football isn’t any different from the Travel Business, Aircraft business , Hotel Groups etc ,  somehow we’ve got to get the economy going again or we’re going to have a lot of bankrupt countries.

24 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

If you’re thinking about waiting for a vaccine in a years time , the answer is yes , football isn’t any different from the Travel Business, Aircraft business , Hotel Groups etc ,  somehow we’ve got to get the economy going again or we’re going to have a lot of bankrupt countries.

But not at the expense of employee and public health and safety

30 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

But not at the expense of employee and public health and safety

There has surely got to be a balance somewhere or there will be nothing to go back to , not sure it can be one or the other .

What happens if there is no vaccine?

3 hours ago, scotty said:

Having to have a 1 meter distance between people  queuing will be problematic, and timely.  

2000 people for JHS over 10 queues is a 200 meter queue, but you can’t have 10 queues as the drive is only 5 meters wide, so the queue is 400 meters long. That’s twice round the ground.

Then you have in the ground, effectively only every 3rd seat could be used for 1 meter distancing.

Exiting and toilets will be a huge issue. Add into the equation alcohol and it’s a nightmare to organize.

2 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Having the economy going, will mean getting factories and retail operating again at a lower level with strict control, currently the machine shops I use in UK that are still open (as doing essential work for O&G) have had to split shifts, go from 1 shift to 3 and 5 to 7 days to ensure they have 2 meters between operators at any time. That’s on top of furloughing folk. Others that either can’t have the distance or are not classed as essential are closed.