What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

6 minutes ago, scotty said:

Mmm, wondered how long it would take for the call for less government! And how many businesses will have changed their tune in just a few weeks.

There will be more taxes (for us all)

There might be more debt (if we can access it)

There will be less spending

Its inevitable. Less spending means less government. Its not a 'call for it', its a prediction. We will not be able to afford it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, allyo said:

No one was due anything unless the season was finished. And all this about league positions only changing one or two places. Complete rubbish. There was still potential for massive changes in lower league positions.

If they had paid out with potential for final league placings to change then there was real chance of teams being left owing the SPFL, and while there may have been ways to deall with this (one year deferment etc) the complexities have been oversimplified. It would have been a nightmare.

My own thought was that payments on current placings should be final, even if the season was completed, but even that could skew the season.

Where I think there was a real unfairness was calling the season while relegation was still the default. It should have been taken off the table. But the SPFL is a democracy and while many won't admit it, the vote actually suited the vast majority of clubs fine.

I understand that 3 payments had already been made during the season. Is there anything in the SPFL regulations that stipulates how many payments are allowed ? Could they have made another interim payment instead of declaring the season done ?

4 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

Read somewhere a week or two ago that the SNP were discussing abolishing the personal tax allowance (currently the first 12 5k of earnings), inreasing each tax band by up to an additional 8% & restri tions to 'other benefits' which was unspecified. 

Whether this  information was genuine or not is unclear. 

What us abundantly clear though is that when we do come out of this, it will be the ordinary punter on the street who has to bear the brunt  - another x? years of austerity for those lucky enough to still have a job. 

I think everyone will be paying more tax - but I guess lot of people are still being paid a fair chunk of their pay, but aren’t actually working?

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

A very telling graph on the virus handling by the U.K. .....

A3CEF4BA-6E87-45B0-BAC5-AD408D881060.jpeg

The UK turned normal distribution to abnormal distribution. Looks terrible.

Very impressed with the Australia and New Zealand graphs.

Can't quite believe Slovakia.

Do they already have a vaccine?

Just now, allyo said:

Surely the number of cases depends on the number of tests. If you don't test anyone you get no cases. I wouldn't read much into these graphs.

Your correct and incorrect .....if you test more you get more positive results but not necessarily more cases .....the graphs shows the country’s that took early action have had better results in reducing case count and they also have lower deaths per 100000

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Putting on Devil's Advocate hat

Why ? Dundee Utd and Cove were both on the brink of winning their leagues. Why should they suffer ?

Because the competition which they entered was not completed/ finshed.

11 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Your correct and incorrect .....if you test more you get more positive results but not necessarily more cases .....the graphs shows the country’s that took early action have had better results in reducing case count and they also have lower deaths per 100000

Well yes I agree that you get more positive results rather than more cases. But surely the graphs show positive results and not cases.

If you want your graph to fall quickly then don't increase your testing because it'll make your figures look bad. But on the other hand if you want to solve the problem...

As I say, I wouldn't read too much into it.

23 hours ago, javeajag said:

We agree ?!!
swedens death rate is worse than their neighbours but way better than Belgium which has a comparable population or indeed the U.K. .....in addition 50% of their deaths are in care homes despite having a very early lockdown in those ( clearly an issue everywhere which needs looked at ) add in the over 70s and that’s most if their deaths .....their strategy may well be working 

But down to the crux of the matter, are the cafes in Malmo open yet?

1 minute ago, Emsca said:

Ok fair enough, what is your best (not ideal ) solution?

As I've said, I think calling the season was ultimately  necessary but done in too much haste. I think relegation should have been ruled out first. And now, I hope that minimal reconstruction will happen, only to remove relegation  (I favour 13-10-10-10). 

That's based on the best case all clubs surviving, but maybe precise structures at this stage are premature.

But in a democratic system I'm not too confident it will happen, because doing nothing suits most clubs.

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

I understand that 3 payments had already been made during the season. Is there anything in the SPFL regulations that stipulates how many payments are allowed ? Could they have made another interim payment instead of declaring the season done ?

Of course they could. It is supposed to be a members organisation.If the members want something changed , that should be eminently possible.