What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

For virus nerds.....from this weeks Economist....

NEW We’ve updated our analysis of excess mortality, to see how well different European countries’ official covid19 data capture underlying deaths:
- Germany, Sweden, France + Belgium doing well (87%-97%)
- UK and Netherlands rather less so (51%-54%)
Source @TheEconomist @J_CD_T

64261AF0-3142-4CCC-8325-C5EF7040AE1D.png

Edited by javeajag

1 hour ago, allyo said:

But why wait for first reported case? Surely when people were dying in Italy and Spain they knew it was here.

Factor in that the UK has a higher density of population than Italy and well over double the density of Spain (and France for that matter). Alarm bells were ringing but should have been much louder.

2 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Factor in that the UK has a higher density of population than Italy and well over double the density of Spain (and France for that matter). Alarm bells were ringing but should have been much louder.

Interestingly the densest population in Europe is in....Naples

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

This is what I have been trying to find out for weeks.

So is it the case that you will only show up as positive once symptoms appear ? Are you infectious as soon as you contract it ?

I don't know the details. She's not a medical person but organising it so they follow the rules set.  The tests they have only work in a small window for infected, outside this results cannot be trusted.  Prob is symptons are not always clear, can be mild to some or the cough and temperature come in later.  And don't forget the reasonable % of  people who are asymptomatic.

For me this is dangerous, it's evolving, we are learning about it daily, mistakes will be made in Scotland, UK, worldwide and ultimately we need to learn to live with it to get economy moving as we all need to earn to survive and pay tax for services. 

At this stage I support everyone Boris Johnson, Nicola Sturgeon, Jason Leitch, Chris Whitty, Angela Merkel, Anthony Fauci you name it.

Edited by Lambies Lost Doo
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

I don't know the details. She's not a medical person but organising it so they follow the rules set.  The tests they have only work in a small window for infected, outside this results cannot be trusted.  Prob is symptons are not always clear, can be mild to some or the cough and temperature come in later.  And don't forget the reasonable % of  people who are asymptomatic.

For me this is dangerous, it's evolving, we are learning about it daily, mistakes will be made in Scotland, UK, worldwide and ultimately we need to learn to live with it to get economy moving as we all need to earn to survive and pay tax for services. 

At this stage I support everyone Boris Johnson, Nicola Sturgeon, Jason Leitch, Chris Whitty, Angela Merkel, Anthony Fauci you name it.

One of the other issues with Scotlands proposed track and trace is that from using a self test to it being analysed can take 2 to 3 working days as the Royal Mail collects it. Effectively by the time you get your negative result through you could now be positive. The system at Glasgow airport works better, but again its a snapshot of there and then

Punchy response to Rangers from SPFL.

Because Hearts and Stranraer put their name to this shambolic document, reconstruction may suffer. (well done to our Board for steering well clear of that)

Scott Gardiner might not get his dream job replacing Doncaster after all despite all of his best endeavours assisting Rangers.

They've now opened more testing stations. The tracers to follow up tests though are not yet in place and without that the testing is no more than a statistical exercise. The media pressing so much on numbers of tests and the governments' (both)  responses to try to meet numerical targets has really been a waste of time and instilled some sort of false expectations in the minds of the public.

One other thing struck me, listeninmg to the First Minister laying out the strategy the other day was that the order she put it in was surely wrong. Shouldn't it be Test, Isolate,Trace, Support? Wonder why she didn't use that acronym?

35 minutes ago, jaf said:

Punchy response to Rangers from SPFL.

Because Hearts and Stranraer put their name to this shambolic document, reconstruction may suffer. (well done to our Board for steering well clear of that)

Scott Gardiner might not get his dream job replacing Doncaster after all despite all of his best endeavours assisting Rangers.

It's got pretty nasty. Agree with you, Thistle did well to steer clear, despite what must have been a temptation to throw toys out the pram and claim that the world was against us.

To be honest though I'm not sure where I stand. I think there's major fault on both sides. I think the SPFL seems pretty shambolic, though suspect that is largely down to its structure as a representative body.

But I have no time at all for Rangers and how they go about things, and I'm glad Thistle aren't associated with this.

Edited by allyo

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

Interestingly the densest population in Europe is in....Naples

1 hour ago, sandy said:

20 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Not the whole city ... it’s in a part of Naples 

Don't think you're doing yourself any favours by posting stuff like this, javeajag.

Is it 1 km2 or 1 street or 1 house? There's a couple in England isolating with 11 kids in a small house. That's quite a dense  micro-population.

1 minute ago, BowenBoys said:

Don't think you're doing yourself any favours by posting stuff like this, javeajag.

Is it 1 km2 or 1 street or 1 house? There's a couple in England isolating with 11 kids in a small house. That's quite a dense  micro-population.

But not as dense as a 20 storey residential block

4 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

first post probably wasn’t correctly phrased ....the densest urban zone is part of central Naples....just as central Paris has almost twice the density of central London ....but hey ho off to the garden

34 minutes ago, scotty said:

They've now opened more testing stations. The tracers to follow up tests though are not yet in place and without that the testing is no more than a statistical exercise. The media pressing so much on numbers of tests and the governments' (both)  responses to try to meet numerical targets has really been a waste of time and instilled some sort of false expectations in the minds of the public.

One other thing struck me, listeninmg to the First Minister laying out the strategy the other day was that the order she put it in was surely wrong. Shouldn't it be Test, Isolate,Trace, Support? Wonder why she didn't use that acronym?

Isn’t it the presumption that you only get tested if you have symptoms and should already be isolating ?

Otherwise there should be another I in the acronym

46 minutes ago, allyo said:

It's got pretty nasty. Agree with you, Thistle did well to steer clear, despite what must have been a temptation to throw toys out the pram and claim that the world was against us.

To be honest though I'm not sure where I stand. I think there's major fault on both sides. I think the SPFL seems pretty shambolic, though suspect that is largely down to its structure as a representative body.

But I have no time at all for Rangers and how they go about things, and I'm glad Thistle aren't associated with this.

What other way could Rangers have gone about it? Keep it in-house? Well that would never work. I guess asking for sackings in public was not wise, granted.

They asked for the dossier to be kept confidential - some SPFL club has passed it on.

Are the SPFL not there to represent clubs rather than direct and publicly criticize clubs? If a club has a grievance, they should respect the right for it to be heard fairly.

15 minutes ago, Colognejag said:

What other way could Rangers have gone about it? Keep it in-house? Well that would never work. I guess asking for sackings in public was not wise, granted.

They asked for the dossier to be kept confidential - some SPFL club has passed it on.

Are the SPFL not there to represent clubs rather than direct and publicly criticize clubs? If a club has a grievance, they should respect the right for it to be heard fairly.

Okay firstly I acknowledge my complete bias against anything to do with Rangers (I should probably have disclosed similraly about the UK govt).

Calling for sackings in public, and going public on the alleged presence of incriminating evidence, while withholding that evidence for nearly a month was, in my view, unacceptable. Particularly when they absolutely know the nature of Scottish football, and the mentality of many of their fans, and therefore the personal impact that these actions will have on individuals.

Frankly for Rangers to accuse anyone of bullying and intimidation is laughable. They know the power that they hold and they cynically manipulate it in order to intimidate on a regular basis.

I'm not suggesting that the grievance should not be heard. I actually hope that Thistle vote in favour of an enquiry because I think one is probably due. That doesn't excuse the way that Rangers have conducted themselves on key matters of basic decency.

Edited by allyo

1 minute ago, allyo said:

Okay firstly I acknowledge my complete bias against anything to do with Rangers (I should probably have disclosed similraly about the UK govt).

Calling for sackings in public, and going public on the alleged presence of incriminating evidence, while withholding that evidence for nearly a month was, in my view, unacceptable. Particularly when they absolutely know the nature of Scottish football, and the mentality of many of their fans, and therefore the personal impact that these actions will have on individuals.

Frankly for Rangers to accuse anyone of bullying and intimidation is laughable. They know the power that they hold and they cynically manipulate it in order to intimidate on a regular basis.

I believe it was ICT and Dundee who mentioned bullying from Dunfermline and Alloa. Rangers highlighted this.

I think the days of Rangers holding power went when they were sent to League 2. I suspect the pendulum has shifted to the other erse-cheek.