What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

Not a surprise at all. Reconstruction was never going to happen - just a carrot dangled in front of clubs, especially Dundee, to get the vote result the SPFL wanted.

And we go down meekly with a whimper and not an ounce of fight. Pathetic.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Not a surprise at all. Reconstruction was never going to happen - just a carrot dangled in front of clubs, especially Dundee, to get the vote result the SPFL wanted.

Don't really see it that way. What were Thistle able you fight up to now? If we'd objected to relegation the SPFL was able to turn around and say, we're looking into it. 

Only when reconstruction is taken off the table can Thistle (and Hearts) start reasonably taking any action. So we'll see.  

It still has a way to go. We don't know when or if the season will start and whether all the clubs will still be there. I'll also be interested to see whether any other countries relegate teams or if Scotland will be out on a limb.

28 minutes ago, Big Col said:

What would you have done?

49 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

Kheredine idessane reporting league reconstruction is scrapped - surprised? 

I am surprised, surprised that they dragged on the pretence this long.

It was obvious from the start that to get what they wanted the word reconstruction was thrown out but it was a totally dishonest episode.

43 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

What would you have done?

To begin with, I wouldn’t have issued a weak statement saying we had accepted the outcome of the vote.
I would have joined up with the other clubs who were unhappy at the decision and explored any possible Joint legal action or appeals process. I would have kicked off in the media big time about the unfairness of it all. 

I started out being very hopeful that reconstruction would keep us in the championship but over the last month or so reached the view that it wasn't going to happen. I accept there is still a bit of water to flow beneath the bridge before next season starts but, barring legal action perhaps with - Hearts (once and if SPL is called) and Stranraer, we now know where we will be playing. 

It's been a very 'noisey' period particularly since the vote but there are a couple of things,  we shouldn't  forget:

1. we wouldn't have been in this position if we hadn't been bottom of the league, (I know stating the obvious but before we blame others we should be mindful of this point) and

2. if the voting method had been conducted under a democratically run secret ballot the SPFL proposal would have fallen and Dundee would not have had the opportunity to play games. 

Best of luck to Rangers with their independent enquiry and if carried I hope it picks up on point 2 above. I also hope they win their 'personal' battle with McLennan who given his partiality toward some clubs and hostility towards others is clearly not fit to occupy the position he holds as Head of the SPFL. 

1 minute ago, Big Col said:

To begin with, I wouldn’t have issued a weak statement saying we had accepted the outcome of the vote.
I would have joined up with the other clubs who were unhappy at the decision and explored any possible Joint legal action or appeals process. I would have kicked off in the media big time about the unfairness of it all. 

The time to consider legal action is when we know what league we will be playing in and when the relegation of Hearts is confirmed! 

As of today we know the former (as do Stranraer); Hearts are still a bit up in the air. 

Once their position is known and if it is the will of the 3 clubs they will have a better chance acting together. 

However given our experience in 2004 when the Courts demonstrated a reluctance to adjudicate on sporting matters I would be very doubtful of success and feel we would have no chance if we act alone! 

Perhaps the best course of action is to gear up to play in League 1, win it and win promotion to the championship and start kicking championship club ass, especially Dundee! 

I have bought my season ticket and I sm making plans to attend as many home games as possible. 

I will not be taking in any away games and as previously stated will donate away gate money to the Jags. 

• Like 2

If we're honest, we know that reconstruction was never going to happen, so it looks like we'll be playing in League 1 next season - whenever it starts.

It'll be into 2021 before football returns to anything approaching normality,  and in the meantime, some clubs will undoubtedly go to the wall as they are deprived of the gate revenue.

IMO we have to use our resources to make sure that Partick Thistle is still standing as we come out of the virus.  Much as I love going to away games, for me that means not attending away games next season,  (when we're allowed to) and donating the money saved to our own club to make sure we're not one of the casualties of the carnage facing Scottish football.   

If some of the clubs who voted to stitch us up are among the casualties, I won't shed any tears.  

Edited by AirdrieJag
  • Like 5

Shambles from start to finish. Its a stitch up and closed shop if you are looking at trying to take this mop to task. 

Just look at the rangers dossier not quite a loaded gun but some of there points are valid. Most of the media look to be onside with the spfl.

Still say the Brechin city guy and that tit from Alloa need to be looked at it.

We have been shite especially since January but still think we would have got more points than Queens.

No more away games for me whenever they happen and i love an away game..

Stay safe hopefully see you all back at Firhill soon.

You may be pointing your guns in the wrong direction here. So let's focus on the real villains, the management of the SPFL. This group have most assuredly mis managed a crucial vote, been less than open with a so called "investigation" (did anyone actually get to read their report?), misdirected the football community with a potential reconstruction and now pretty much unilaterally vanished their own reconstruction. Now their are more important issues according to them. 

Well perhaps there are. But the issue is would you trust any of the current "leaders" of the SPFL to deliver us from the crisis? 

The recent track record indicates that there is further calamity down the road. But the likelihood is that the last people to ho down when it's all collapsing are the management of the SPFL having become massively skilled at ensuring their own survival at whatever the cost. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MMCF said:

The recent track record indicates that there is further calamity down the road. But the likelihood is that the last people to ho down when it's all collapsing are the management of the SPFL having become massively skilled at ensuring their own survival at whatever the cost. 

And they'll probably award themselves huge salary increases for doing so.

Agree with @Airdrie Jag if we're going to league 1 then we need to end attendance at away fixtures.

The club should release a statement insisting that they get the rights to broadcast live all Thistle games to compensate for loss of income and the unfairness of the decision.

If that doesn't happen they should then be asking the supporters clubs to not run buses to away games and issuing a statement saying that we will be closing firhill to away supporters. 

2 minutes ago, laukat said:

Agree with @Airdrie Jag if we're going to league 1 then we need to end attendance at away fixtures.

The club should release a statement insisting that they get the rights to broadcast live all Thistle games to compensate for loss of income and the unfairness of the decision.

If that doesn't happen they should then be asking the supporters clubs to not run buses to away games and issuing a statement saying that we will be closing firhill to away supporters. 

Would still take the away supporters money but wouldn’t go to any away games except Falkirk 

The Club should get into the way of opening Firhill every week and either stream the game if we can or do the Jagszone in one of the Bars 

1 minute ago, jlsarmy said:

Would still take the away supporters money but wouldn’t go to any away games except Falkirk 

The Club should get into the way of opening Firhill every week and either stream the game if we can or do the Jagszone in one of the Bars 

If they could put in a virtual season ticket for away games for home supporters that became part of the regular season ticket it would make the purchase of a season ticket far more appealing. It also creates opprotunites of opening up hospitality at firhill to stream the away games.

They could also introduce pay per games for away supporters and non-season ticket holder it would mitigate the financial loss and show others that we refuse to accept what has been thrown at us.

If reconstruction is off the table and Hearts, Stranraer and us are relegated then surely Brechin have to go down too? Stinks to high heavens that they have a person on the SPFL board and have managed to avoid relegation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

5pts since January and not a single win. I think we should be looking far closer to home for someone to blame for the situation we find ourselves in. 

Yes we were poor, but QOS were on a worst run than us. Any way i don't think football in Scotland will be starting anytime soon. With 43% of Scottish teams income coming through the turnstiles, i don't think it is feasible to be playing games behind closed doors. In the meantime i would not be surprised to see some teams fold before any new season starts. When that will be and what shape it will take nobody knows.

2 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Yes we were poor, but QOS were on a worst run than us. Any way i don't think football in Scotland will be starting anytime soon. With 43% of Scottish teams income coming through the turnstiles, i don't think it is feasible to be playing games behind closed doors. In the meantime i would not be surprised to see some teams fold before any new season starts. When that will be and what shape it will take nobody knows.

Don't think any team will fold before the season was meant to start AJ - as they've all taken their pound of flesh in the closing season down blood money - however give it to Seotember/October and I think we'll start to see some non viable businesses start to blow bubbles out their arses as the banks put the thumb screws on them 

A couple of things that rankle with me are the incorrectly overturned penalty against QoS which if scored would mean it was QoS fans now having this discussion (also kills the "decisions even themselves out over a season argument") and why it is average points being used to calculate final positions. We had played the runaway league leaders 4 times whilst others had not, would a fairer and more sensible method not have been to look at the remaining fixtures, calculate the average points gained by each team against their opponents and base the final position on that?

Anyway, not unexpected and we now need to focus on our club. Let the others "work for the good of Scottish Football" - Heaven help us!

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

I started out being very hopeful that reconstruction would keep us in the championship but over the last month or so reached the view that it wasn't going to happen. I accept there is still a bit of water to flow beneath the bridge before next season starts but, barring legal action perhaps with - Hearts (once and if SPL is called) and Stranraer, we now know where we will be playing. 

It's been a very 'noisey' period particularly since the vote but there are a couple of things,  we shouldn't  forget:

1. we wouldn't have been in this position if we hadn't been bottom of the league, (I know stating the obvious but before we blame others we should be mindful of this point) and

2. if the voting method had been conducted under a democratically run secret ballot the SPFL proposal would have fallen and Dundee would not have had the opportunity to play games. 

Best of luck to Rangers with their independent enquiry and if carried I hope it picks up on point 2 above. I also hope they win their 'personal' battle with McLennan who given his partiality toward some clubs and hostility towards others is clearly not fit to occupy the position he holds as Head of the SPFL. 

Regarding point 1 - how many times have we heard managers etc say during the season- it doesn’t matter where we are just now it’s where we are in May that counts.