What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

17 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Having just listened to Sportsound it appears that the SFA have been undermined by the SPFL over the handling of the Club 42 (Brechin) play off. Both the Highland & Lowland Leagues come under the direct auspices of the SFA and both leagues have been devalued due to the SPFL's refusal to provide an opportunity for one of their clubs to move up the ladder. Also hardly reading between the lines but it looks obvious that the SPFL tried to bully the Lowland League into accepting Brechin, should they lose a play off into their league. The SPFL were evidently using current League Cup &  Challenge Cup invitations as leverage. The fact that the Brechin chairman sits on the SPFL Board obviously compounds the situation.

The question that should be getting asked should be directed to the SFA. And that's, why aren't you standing up for the Highland & Lowland Leagues?   

* edited to add, the alleged SPFL bullying precedes the Covid threat and the suspension of League 2

A lot of interesting points made on Sportsound not least the issue over the pyramid structure which has been completely blown out of the water. Also intereisting that the SPFL board were using "bullying" tactics to protect Brechin and get them into a re-structured Lowland league. I think the Brechin chair's involvement in the board should be looked at as well as the chief exec's. The view from Hamilton on the SPFL board was also telling. It seems that certain clubs, often with a precarious hold on their top flight membership are extremely reluctant to offer any criticism of the organisation.

Edited by scotty
spelling
  • Like 1

Seems totally obvious now that the reconstruction was just a smokescreen for Dundee to change their vote. Seems utterly bizzare the SPFL determination to force this through at all costs. The ship may have sailed on this debate but does raise the question who and how do they benefit from it.Bonus payments for excecutive members when the new deal kicks in....?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jag36 said:

Seems totally obvious now that the reconstruction was just a smokescreen for Dundee to change their vote. Seems utterly bizzare the SPFL determination to force this through at all costs. The ship may have sailed on this debate but does raise the question who and how do they benefit from it.Bonus payments for excecutive members when the new deal kicks in....?

I'm sure they'll all do well from TV deals too. Talking about payments, another thing mentioned on Sportsound was compensation payments. What's the chance of that when the only money left in the pot is the payouts to the premiership clubs.

8 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Less any money due to tv companies in compensation for the incomplete season

Haven't thought about that. Have the top clubs agreed to this money coming out of their share of the prize money?  Or has the SPFL got another thing they've not disclosed yet?

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Having just listened to Sportsound it appears that the SFA have been undermined by the SPFL over the handling of the Club 42 (Brechin) play off. Both the Highland & Lowland Leagues come under the direct auspices of the SFA and both leagues have been devalued due to the SPFL's refusal to provide an opportunity for one of their clubs to move up the ladder. Also hardly reading between the lines but it looks obvious that the SPFL tried to bully the Lowland League into accepting Brechin, should they lose a play off into their league. The SPFL were evidently using current League Cup &  Challenge Cup invitations as leverage. The fact that the Brechin chairman sits on the SPFL Board obviously compounds the situation.

The question that should be getting asked should be directed to the SFA. And that's, why aren't you standing up for the Highland & Lowland Leagues?   

* edited to add, the alleged SPFL bullying precedes the Covid threat and the suspension of League 2

The gentleman who i think was chairman of the Lowland league said it was about 4/5 months ago they had the discussions about Brechin. Seemingly the reason they could not put Brechin up for the play off is the season needs to be completed before that can happen. But it is ok to relegate clubs before it is completed.:thinking:

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

The gentleman who i think was chairman of the Lowland league said it was about 4/5 months ago they had the discussions about Brechin. Seemingly the reason they could not put Brechin up for the play off is the season needs to be completed before that can happen. But it is ok to relegate clubs before it is completed.:thinking:

Thats exactly what he said.  Hes was told no play offs could take place because the season hadn't been completed but as you say relegation could. Seems they can just pick and choose what rules to stick with depending on what suits them. 

Edited by Jag36

1 hour ago, Jag36 said:

Thats exactly what he said.  Hes was told no play offs could take place because the season hadn't been completed but as you say relegation could. Seems they can just pick and choose what rules to stick with depending on what suits them. 

A friend of mine is involved in a lower league club and he was in a call on this where Brechin wanted an assurance if they were relegated they could go into the lowland league and not the highland as their players lived in the central belt ....and it was a very pressurised proposal 

1 hour ago, allyo said:

So what is the system then? I mean Brenchin are maybe borderline but say if Stranraer were relegated out if the league, surely they couldn't be forced into the Highland league. That would be stupid.

There is a "border" between Highland League and Lowland League, which I think, is the river Tay. 

Berwick went down last year and went into Lowland League when Cove Rangers came up. I think it causes an unbalanced division, but I think clubs in that division are happy enough to have that flexibility - it would be an extra home gate after all!

58 minutes ago, allyo said:

So what is the system then? I mean Brenchin are maybe borderline but say if Stranraer were relegated out if the league, surely they couldn't be forced into the Highland league. That would be stupid.

Brechin should go into the Highland league. The Lowland league chairman who spoke on sportsound said about 4/5 months ago they got pressured into agreeing that Brechin would be allowed in the lowland league if Brechin came down. He said that they got reminded by the SPFL that the lowland league got teams invited into the league and challenge cups and that both these tournaments are run by the SPFL.

25 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

For virus nerds...

Dynamo Dresden have quarantined their entire squad and their first 2 or 3 Bunesliga 2 games which were behind closed doors have been cancelled

In Germany it will take about 300 people inside the ground to put on a closed doors game.

Reported that the R rate is now back over 1 again in Germany. Yet, 3,000 people still thought it wise to gather in Munich to protest against lockdown restrictions...

The more I read about the management of the pandemic, the less sure I become that we will see any football next next season.  

Given the massive challenges involved  in staging football, and the lack of finance available in the game in Scotland, I think it's quite possible that the lower leagues will be suspended until  2021/22, with available resources channelled towards staging the Premiership next season.

Clubs would presumably go into some form of 'hibernation',  with no playing staff, and stadia put on a care and maintenance basis.  

Am I way off the mark here?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AirdrieJag said:

The more I read about the management of the pandemic, the less sure I become that we will see any football next next season.  

Given the massive challenges involved  in staging football, and the lack of finance available in the game in Scotland, I think it's quite possible that the lower leagues will be suspended until  2021/22, with available resources channelled towards staging the Premiership next season.

Clubs would presumably go into some form of 'hibernation',  with no playing staff, and stadia put on a care and maintenance basis.  

Not way off the mark.. maybe an end of the bell curve scenario.  Going to be a lot of pain and that is why the sinful six have retreated into there tortoise shells

I think our club and others will run with "lights on".  Keep as much staff as possible and prep for a return.  Honour the player contracts and unfortunately not renew those who expire.  Fans will need to contribute to keep it solvent.

There are things the club can do if they have the cash.  Stadium improvements, plans for greater fan interaction and promotion etc.

I see that Anne Budge is now actively considering the options for Hearts in the likely event they are 'expelled' from the SPL!

She implies Hearts are talking to other affected clubs, presumably with a view to collective action, which I assume means Jags, Stranraer, Falkirk, and possibly Brora and Kelty. Wonder if any Clubs denied a play-off opportunity will feel like joining this group of  dissidents? 

Gary McKay is saying (BBC Sport/Football/Gossip) that Hearts fans will fund legal action. Suspect Budge feels affected clubs will have a stronger case if they act together and of course this will spread cost of legal action. 

Looks like the Jags fans who wanted legal action might get their wish as the pendulum seems to be swinging in that direction. 

The more that this situation develops and information revealed (Brechin & Lowland League) the dirtier the SPFL looks. Suspect Rangers real target all along has been McLennan not his Officials!

3 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I see that Anne Budge is now actively considering the options for Hearts in the likely event they are 'expelled' from the SPL!

She implies Hearts are talking to other affected clubs, presumably with a view to collective action, which I assume means Jags, Stranraer, Falkirk, and possibly Brora and Kelty. Wonder if any Clubs denied a play-off opportunity will feel like joining this group of  dissidents? 

Gary McKay is saying (BBC Sport/Football/Gossip) that Hearts fans will fund legal action. Suspect Budge feels affected clubs will have a stronger case if they act together and of course this will spread cost of legal action. 

Looks like the Jags fans who wanted legal action might get their wish as the pendulum seems to be swinging in that direction. 

The more that this situation develops and information revealed (Brechin & Lowland League) the dirtier the SPFL looks. Suspect Rangers real target all along has been McLennan not his Officials!

If Anne Budge's motives were reform of the SPFL and reconstruction in the interests of Scottish football I would hope we would stand behind her and encourage other clubs to do likewise.  But, I'm not so sure!

1 hour ago, AirdrieJag said:

I have listened to sportsound more now there is no football, than i did when the football was on.  When this first started i thought this season would not be completed, but 20/21 might start , maybe a bit later than normal, but start. Now after 6/7 weeks of listening to what it would take to play games even without fans present i do not see it happening for any of the leagues below the premier league. What that will mean for clubs i do not know. I think from what the chairman from Alloa and Stranraer have said they could survive without football next season. For teams our size i think it will be very difficult. We have 14 players still on contract for next season, without income from football i don't know how we get through the next year. Of course on top of that we have the uncertainty of our 'relegation'. When football does return what league will we be in?

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 1

I think it has to be more than Legal Action. It has to be an all out effort to get rid of Doncaster and the SPFL crowd and run with something totally new. That is the bold direction that should be taken. Call it a breakaway if you wish but there can be no better time for this to happen.  

10 minutes ago, topcat said:

I think it has to be more than Legal Action. It has to be an all out effort to get rid of Doncaster and the SPFL crowd and run with something totally new. That is the bold direction that should be taken. Call it a breakaway if you wish but there can be no better time for this to happen.  

Agree!

A complete back to basics reorganisation of Scottish Football is needed!

We appear to have the beginnings of a dissident group!T he problem is - the silent majority! 

Information  coming out appears to suggest the SPFL governs by intimidation and fear and through control of  the purse strings keeps the majority, including Lowland and Highland Leagues, in line. As the current situation just gets worse and worse would  they break ranks and join Hearts, Jags etc.! 

I don't particularly want us to be part of or in the vanguard of a revolution but that's what seems to be developing.