What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

1 hour ago, a f kincaid said:

Not for the first time, rather confused about this.

I'm sure I heard a club chairman on a recent Sportsound  explain that when a team is promoted or relegated their voting rights remain in the league they are about to leave/enter until a ball is kicked in the new season. If that's the case then Thistle and DUFC will have been counted as a Championship club, Hearts a Premiership club etc.

Dont worry about being confused by this. The SPFL will decide which League a team is allocated to depending on what suits their rhetoric. You didnt actually think there would be a rule in place for this did you? Even if there are rules , these just get disregarded anyway depending on what is required. 

3 hours ago, javeajag said:

Sky, DAZN and IMG, three media companies, have already withheld €220m ($238m) from Serie A, Italy’s top football league. The Premier League stands to lose £750m ($910m) in rights fees if the season does not resume, and at least £300m even if it does, because broadcasters will have missed their preferred time slots. Fixtures that go ahead may not meet broadcasters’ expectations in other ways. 

I wonder if the fact that the TV and cable broadcasters, noted above, have completely control the fortunes of association football in Europe [within the big 5 leagues] will make the those same footballing authorities stop, think and reconsider if this heavily money orientated entertainment business is exactly what the football supporter wants?

2 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I wonder if the fact that the TV and cable broadcasters, noted above, have completely control the fortunes of association football in Europe [within the big 5 leagues] will make the those same footballing authorities stop, think and reconsider if this heavily money orientated entertainment business is exactly what the football supporter wants?

Don’t think so.....Kieran macguire said overseas broadcasters will want £750m back if the English premiership doesn’t play 

2 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Its a good point.  In music, 'facebook live' concerts have just illustrated how good live music is as an experience as they have compared poorly with being at a gig. This may sustain live music post lockdown as people realise what they miss.

The same may apply to football in a different way. Whilst I think football is the ultimate habit, break it and its easy to find other things to do, and that is a real threat, I think football without spectators will be soulless pale imitation of the real thing, and even broadcast of such games will compare unfavourably. This may remind broadcasters, clubs, authorities and others that fans that go to games are an essential part of the experience, even to a TV audience. And so we may be more considered moving forward. That, at least, is my optimistic hope.

25 minutes ago, jaf said:

Its a good point.  In music, 'facebook live' concerts have just illustrated how good live music is as an experience as they have compared poorly with being at a gig. This may sustain live music post lockdown as people realise what they miss.

The same may apply to football in a different way. Whilst I think football is the ultimate habit, break it and its easy to find other things to do, and that is a real threat, I think football without spectators will be soulless pale imitation of the real thing, and even broadcast of such games will compare unfavourably. This may remind broadcasters, clubs, authorities and others that fans that go to games are an essential part of the experience, even to a TV audience. And so we may be more considered moving forward. That, at least, is my optimistic hope.

I hope you are correct in this assessment! 

I suspect though, and being consistent with my jaundiced opinion of the football establishment, this won't happen. Senior SPFL figures and Club Directors will, post-coronavirus, revert to type. For example, had they any desire or inclination to take account of the needs and wants of fans these small leagues would have been abandoned long ago. 

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

Don’t think so.....Kieran macguire said overseas broadcasters will want £750m back if the English premiership doesn’t play 

I'm not saying this will happen this season or next, I'm thinking more 'long term'. I just think that various football association might just reject getting their collective chains pulled by an organisation that cares not one jot for the sport other than the fact that it is a good advertising outlet ……. and as a side issue who can be comfortable with the amount of gambling outlets that are advertised? I wonder if that industry is completely appropriate for football?

10 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I'm not saying this will happen this season or next, I'm thinking more 'long term'. I just think that various football association might just reject getting their collective chains pulled by an organisation that cares not one jot for the sport other than the fact that it is a good advertising outlet ……. and as a side issue who can be comfortable with the amount of gambling outlets that are advertised? I wonder if that industry is completely appropriate for football?

Your post is right but the reverse is true as well with football not having a moral compass as to where they get their money and sponsorship from , even down South and playing games behind closed doors is all about the financial implications of having to reimburse broadcasters, so it’s probably not just a one way street.

52 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Will the football authorities look at the longer term though? If FAs are being asked for reimbursment for unfinished seasons they may just sell even more of their rights to the broadcasters who will be delighted that they will have a captured audience.  If the only way to watch football is on a single country-wide channel then they'll only want the number of games played that they can schedule. In effect giving them control over a country's football. So who will need bodies like the SPFL?  And , on the side issue how long will it be before there's a tie in between sports channels and gambling organisations?

35 minutes ago, scotty said:

Will the football authorities look at the longer term though? If FAs are being asked for reimbursment for unfinished seasons they may just sell even more of their rights to the broadcasters who will be delighted that they will have a captured audience.  If the only way to watch football is on a single country-wide channel then they'll only want the number of games played that they can schedule. In effect giving them control over a country's football. So who will need bodies like the SPFL?  And , on the side issue how long will it be before there's a tie in between sports channels and gambling organisations?

Perhaps not, it's my [and a few million others I guess] opinion that selling your sport to a cable tv / satellite network devalues the product you have on the field.  I would rather watch football on terrestrial channels that are accessible to anyone with a TV and not have either buy individual games from the cable tv / satellite networks [or go to a pub to watch a game]. But that would mean footballers [at the top level] being paid £150,000.00 per annum rather than £1,500,000.00 per annum**. Could this reduction in wages happen? ….. well it will happen if / when the cable tv / satellite networks find a more cost effective sport to use for advertising purposes.

**These figures are for illustration purposes only

Could the SPFL be superseded by the cable tv / satellite networks?, possibly, but if that was to happens the league would mutate to become even more of an 'old firm' dominated body [minimum 8 OF league games, seeding to ensure an OF cup final in Scottish Cup, League Cup and even Glasgow Cup] ….. and then people in Scotland really would find something else to do with their Saturday afternoons.

4 hours ago, Emsca said:

That is your interpretation and as you say it is fatctual that they failed. I still maintain the following:

1) There is no requirement for an SPFL governing body. The SFA could do their job,

2) The Officials who work for the SFA are grossly overpaid.

3) The SPFL Board are at best inept  but more likely corrupt .

Agree with above and suggest following main changes to take the game forward:

1. One governing body for all professional football including Lowland, Highland and any other pro-Leagues. I wold name it the Scottish Professional Football Association (SPFA). Scotland is too small a country to justify the need and expenses for two principal governing bodies. I would start by dispensing with the current SPFL incumbents. 

(Note: there can still be specific Associations to oversee the day to day running of the lower leagues if needed; they should though operate under the supervision and rules of the principal single body which should be directly responsible for the top 4 tiers as they currently are organised and the pyramid system).

2. As part of the approach to Corporate Governance all votes to be by Secret Ballot. 

3. Also there should be no artificial threshold such as needing 75% votes for this or 11 SPL Clubs in favour for that, etc. These are artificial barriers designed to stop change. A straight majority is all that should be needed. After all the Conservatives govern the UK with only 43% of the vote and the SNP govern Scotland with 45% of the vote! 

12 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Agree with above and suggest following main changes to take the game forward:

1. One governing body for all professional football including Lowland, Highland and any other pro-Leagues. I wold name it the Scottish Professional Football Association (SPFA). Scotland is too small a country to justify the need and expenses for two principal governing bodies. I would start by dispensing with the current SPFL incumbents. 

(Note: there can still be specific Associations to oversee the day to day running of the lower leagues if needed; they should though operate under the supervision and rules of the principal single body which should be directly responsible for the top 4 tiers as they currently are organised and the pyramid system).

2. As part of the approach to Corporate Governance all votes to be by Secret Ballot. 

3. Also there should be no artificial threshold such as needing 75% votes for this or 11 SPL Clubs in favour for that, etc. These are artificial barriers designed to stop change. A straight majority is all that should be needed. After all the Conservatives govern the UK with only 43% of the vote and the SNP govern Scotland with 45% of the vote! 

Paragraph 2 contradicts number 1.

Who governs non-professional football?

Agree with point 3 & 4

Edited by scotty

Current leagues planning to play across Europe .....not exhaustive....changes likely ....

Bundesliga - May 16

Spain - planning for June 12

Italy - planning for June 13

Turkey - June 12

portugal - June 4

Roumania - June 6 possible 

Austrian - planning early June

Switzerland - planning June 8 

Norway - June 16

Sweden - planning mid June 

Serbia - May 30

Finland - July 1

Slovenia - June 6

Czech Republic - May 23 

Hungary - May 23

Denmark - May 28

2 minutes ago, sandy said:

Oh how I laughed (not).

Sarcasm from an ex-RBOS Director....not something that stacks up really, given the mess your company was in. 

I thought you were all for humour......maybe not

ps I’m sure somebody on here was a director of rbos but I wasn’t 

8 hours ago, Emsca said:

Dont worry about being confused by this. The SPFL will decide which League a team is allocated to depending on what suits their rhetoric. You didnt actually think there would be a rule in place for this did you? Even if there are rules , these just get disregarded anyway depending on what is required. 

Rules can then be enforced by the carrot and stick method.

Any team choosing an opposing vote can then be accused of removing the carrot and therefore by definition they become the stick.

A very sneaky and quite despicable method to use, but there you go. 

For virus nerds 

From Prof Karol Sikora....

Lots of reports of the German 'R' value rising after easing lockdown.

It is now back well below 1 (0.81) - no need to panic as the Robert Koch Institute have always stressed. 

Small clusters are dragging it up according to the German scientists - as always, look at the trends!

29 minutes ago, javeajag said:

For virus nerds 

From Prof Karol Sikora....

Lots of reports of the German 'R' value rising after easing lockdown.

It is now back well below 1 (0.81) - no need to panic as the Robert Koch Institute have always stressed. 

Small clusters are dragging it up according to the German scientists - as always, look at the trends!

How inconvenient that ‘small clusters’ are dragging it up.  Remember that behind every statistic are individual deaths and family stories. 

Don’t get too excited about the restart of European football @javeajag when Scotland and the UK are still experiencing large numbers of deaths.

Football here will restart when it’s considered safe; not when the cafes along the Mosel  re-open. 

8 minutes ago, sandy said:

How inconvenient that ‘small clusters’ are dragging it up.  Remember that behind every statistic are individual deaths and family stories. 

Don’t get too excited about the restart of European football @javeajag when Scotland and the UK are still experiencing large numbers of deaths.

Football here will restart when it’s considered safe; not when the cafes along the Mosel  re-open. 

Eh.....ok

ive never mentioned anything about a time when football should start just noting what’s happening....but Germany is a country that has managed the virus well and we do need to learn from others 

Meanwhile in Scotland. Hamilton have said because of various scenarios that could halt the season or prevent it running smoothly they are not selling season tickets for season 20/21. When supporters are allowed into games it will be pay at turnstile. It also says it looks as if the remaining games of the current season will not be played and fans can request a proportional refund on their season tickets.