What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

If we do end up expelled from the Championship having been denied the opportunity to climb up the table in the remaining quarter of the season, then PTFC should DEMAND adequate compensation from the SPFL to make up the shortfall in income that will inevitably result. That alone would be a winnable court case, even if the challenge to the vote etc. might not be. 

• Like 2

There is a piece in the Herald this morning on reconstruction proposals (prompted by a statement by St Mirren about how they voted ).  As I understand it the Premiership clubs plus Dundee United (13) met as a group to discuss the emerging proposals of the reconstruction working group - but before the final recommendation report had been produced.  The Herald article suggests St Mirren, Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Hibs,  Dundee United and Ross County were the clubs that did not support reconstruction (or at least reconstruction as a temporary measure). If this is so then 6/13 clubs (46%) killed off the debate and "spoke" (by implication) for 6/42 clubs (14%). Truly we are living in a democracy.

11 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

There is a piece in the Herald this morning on reconstruction proposals (prompted by a statement by St Mirren about how they voted ).  As I understand it the Premiership clubs plus Dundee United (13) met as a group to discuss the emerging proposals of the reconstruction working group - but before the final recommendation report had been produced.  The Herald article suggests St Mirren, Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Hibs,  Dundee United and Ross County were the clubs that did not support reconstruction (or at least reconstruction as a temporary measure). If this is so then 6/13 clubs (46%) killed off the debate and "spoke" (by implication) for 6/42 clubs (14%). Truly we are living in a democracy.

On a similar note, regarding the independent investigation vote, We can assume that the 6 board member clubs excluding Rangers (Motherwell, Hamilton, Dunfermline, Alloa, Brechin and Montrose) all voted to support themselves. That means that they would only have ever needed 6 more votes for the resolution to fail. Put another way, only 36 clubs had a free vote and 13 voted against the SPFL board. 33% having no confidence is hardly a ringing endorsement.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

Think I heard this right but according to Maitland at Hamilton his club voted against temporary reconstruction as they wanted it permanent.

9 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

If we do end up expelled from the Championship having been denied the opportunity to climb up the table in the remaining quarter of the season, then PTFC should DEMAND adequate compensation from the SPFL to make up the shortfall in income that will inevitably result. That alone would be a winnable court case, even if the challenge to the vote etc. might not be. 

Definately worth a bash.

16 hours ago, javeajag said:

Current leagues planning to play across Europe .....not exhaustive....changes likely ....

Roumania - June 6 possible 

There is no way that Romania will be playing football on the 6th of June. 

The country is under a state of emergency currently (Being re-assessed today and may go to State of Alert) being strictly enforced by the military. You can only go out to get food, or if you have a letter to work in essential services. Footballers haven't even trained since they came in 8 weeks ago. Schools will remain shut till September (They closed in February).

You cannot under any reasons leave the city where you currently live (Unless you are military, medical or a delivery truck driver) and that will not be lifted for at least the next 30 days 

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

There is no way that Romania will be playing football on the 6th of June. 

The country is under a state of emergency currently (Being re-assessed today and may go to State of Alert) being strictly enforced by the military. You can only go out to get food, or if you have a letter to work in essential services. Footballers haven't even trained since they came in 8 weeks ago. Schools will remain shut till September (They closed in February).

You cannot under any reasons leave the city where you currently live (Unless you are military, medical or a delivery truck driver) and that will not be lifted for at least the next 30 days 

Possibly in Turkey if they can’t play in Roumania  

6 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Think I heard this right but according to Maitland at Hamilton his club voted against temporary reconstruction as they wanted it permanent.

You heard correct! Hamilton issued a statement even before the reconstruction group was set up that they would vote for change provided it was permanent. So when the SPFL get around to this subject again, if ever,  seems we can count on Hamilton and others including St Johnstone. 

Maitland (Hamilton Chairman) is also against relegation in the current circumstances and very much in favour of compensation for affected clubs now that such a situation (relegation) is happening. 

Well he is a politician of sorts! 

16 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

6 hours ago, Emsca said:

Definately worth a bash.

I agree with you both but would hold fire on this at the moment. If we were to initiate a request for compensation it may be construed that by doing so we have accepted our fate!  This could possibly compromise any legal action we may subsequently choose to raise or participate in with others. .  Gerry Britton's recent statement suggests all options are on the table including a legal challenge. 

Statements from Rangers and Stranraer indicate the subject of SPFL Governance is for them not yet over! Stranraer are making no secret that they intend pursuing the matter with all of the clubs who voted for the enquiry to explore what they might do collectively! I would imagine that will include us! 

I think this whole sordid matter has a bit to run yet! Hearts, or should I say Anne Budge's position will become very interesting if football restarts and they avoid relegation. Will she fall into line or continue her membership of the dissident group? In the event the SPL finish the season I'd hope for Hamilton to stay up and St Mirren to be relegated. Bet they then have a quick change of heart about reconstruction! 

On 5/13/2020 at 3:59 PM, scotty said:

Paragraph 2 contradicts number 1.

Who governs non-professional football?

Agree with point 3 & 4

Thanks for agreeing points 2 & 4.

Didn't think this was a contradiction as it was merely a point of delegation recognising it might be too big a task for one body to effectively govern the professional game at every level. 

My main point was that we don't need two bodies albeit with different responsibilities operating at the same level

Good point re non-professional football! I did think of that but made the assumption that it would continue to be governed as at present. I see now that was wrong so suggest a change of name for the principal governing body. Allow me to be very innovative and suggest the following name as being appropriate.......... drum roll

The Scottish Football Association! 

I have  heard talk of compensation for us being expelled from the league, but just how much is enough ? If we do end up in league 1, we could be there for years, or drop even further down the  leagues. They seem to be calling this a solidarity payment. Not been much solidarity shown to Thistle by the majority of the rest of Scottish football imo.

17 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I have  heard talk of compensation for us being expelled from the league, but just how much is enough ? If we do end up in league 1, we could be there for years, or drop even further down the  leagues. They seem to be calling this a solidarity payment. Not been much solidarity shown to Thistle by the majority of the rest of Scottish football imo.

I wont hold out too much hope for compensation being voted through. The only money left (according to the SPFL) is the payout to the premiership teams. How many of them will vote to give some of that to us, Hearts and Stranraer. Sounds like Hamilton are playing the bluffing game as they did by saying they would have voted for permament reconstruction knowing no-one else would.

49 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

If people can’t leave their own city’s currently and can barely leave the house, I’d be very surprised if football teams will be allowed to go to Turkey

you may well be right ....but it is a plan......

‘Romanian clubs will finish the current season in Antalya, Turkey, according to Gazeta Sporturilor.

It is expected that the next two to three weeks, the team will fly Charter planes to Turkey, where they will spend two months. They will resume training in Antalya, where they will play the eight remaining rounds of the championship.

It is expected that this project will cost the Romanian clubs in the region of 2 million euros ‘ 

SPFL Premiership could be called today after a zoom call.

Let's not kid ourselves on. This whole shambles was never about Thistle. It's all about Celtic and Rangers as always.

Rangers are just as interested in Thistle as Celtic are.

Hearts might carry on their fight and Thistle may join if there is a chance of financial compensation for the expulsion but where is the money and I doubt any Premiership club will forgo any cash to help us out.

The SPFL is essentially a holding account so I've no idea how we'd be paid through the courts unless they can freeze cash held by the SPFL.

18 minutes ago, jagfox said:

SPFL Premiership could be called today after a zoom call.

Let's not kid ourselves on. This whole shambles was never about Thistle. It's all about Celtic and Rangers as always.

Rangers are just as interested in Thistle as Celtic are.

Hearts might carry on their fight and Thistle may join if there is a chance of financial compensation for the expulsion but where is the money and I doubt any Premiership club will forgo any cash to help us out.

The SPFL is essentially a holding account so I've no idea how we'd be paid through the courts unless they can freeze cash held by the SPFL.

Well, if it went to court and the case was won in our favour, there is no reason why such a freeze couldn't be implemented if the SPFL owes us money. That might mean that other clubs would somehow suffer in the meantime, but so what..... many of them didn't care at all about us and the other expelled clubs' predicament.

• Like 1