What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

1 hour ago, MMCF said:

First every death is a multiple tragedy that simple numbers cannot even begin to convey.  I also wonder, in suggesting that attendance be restricted to those under sixty, if the writer has a clear understanding of the fan profile of those who attend Thistle fixtures.  I don't mind paying for a Season Ticket, last season and for 2020/21. But I do draw the line at the suggestion of naked ageism (which would in fact place the business at risk of legal action against it) 

Yes, I do understand we have a good number of supporters above 60 years.  Includes me. I simply make the point (not necessarily a football one either) that those of us more vulnerable should consider if we could give up a little to allow those less vulnerable to get closer to a normal life again. If Thistle came up with a scheme that allowed them to play and earn income but meant I shouldn't go then I would tolerate it as is for the benefit of the club and all supporters. But you hit the nail on the head - would risk legal action because someone would object.  However, the SPFL could probably advise more vulnerable supporters not to go. My main point, though, was that if we are to get back to playing football in Scotland any time soon then we're going to have to think differently. As things stand, I can't see how Leagues 1 & 2 could take place next season.

1 hour ago, Arete said:

Yes, I do understand we have a good number of supporters above 60 years.  Includes me. I simply make the point (not necessarily a football one either) that those of us more vulnerable should consider if we could give up a little to allow those less vulnerable to get closer to a normal life again. If Thistle came up with a scheme that allowed them to play and earn income but meant I shouldn't go then I would tolerate it as is for the benefit of the club and all supporters. But you hit the nail on the head - would risk legal action because someone would object.  However, the SPFL could probably advise more vulnerable supporters not to go. My main point, though, was that if we are to get back to playing football in Scotland any time soon then we're going to have to think differently. As things stand, I can't see how Leagues 1 & 2 could take place next season.

Add the Championship to that. The biggest problem is not the safety of the supporters, but the safety of the players and officials. They would all need to be tested regularly, I believe that Germany are doing this twice a week for every player in training. The cost of that alone would be prohibitive for all but a few teams in Scotland 

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Add the Championship to that. The biggest problem is not the safety of the supporters, but the safety of the players and officials. They would all need to be tested regularly, I believe that Germany are doing this twice a week for every player in training. The cost of that alone would be prohibitive for all but a few teams in Scotland 

In Germany, every body involved in the games, players, officials etc have been in quarantine for the past fortnight. Not sure if they need to keep doing this till the end of the season or who is footing the bill. 

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

In Germany, every body involved in the games, players, officials etc have been in quarantine for the past fortnight. Not sure if they need to keep doing this till the end of the season or who is footing the bill. 

I'm sure I read the testing would cost the English Premiership £5m - doubt there is the money in the Scottish game to sustain that, even with half the clubs in top league compared to England

7 hours ago, KemoAvdiu said:

So every home match would result in one person dying and a number of others potentially becoming seriously ill? I’m not quite sure that’s as strong an argument as you think it is. 

No that’s a 3 month stat total over that time.

That 1 would be 0.2 if no underlying serious health concerns. Remembering that 20% of all COVID deaths have been for dementia sufferers and another 60% on chronic conditions 

Add to the fact, the health service would have to say the stocks of testing kits are at a level that we can afford footballers to be tested. Footballers have been stung a few times by a mouthy Health Secretary and some self inflicted bad publicity, so they wont want to get involved in something that makes them look 'self interested'.

I'm not sure that Scottish football would be able to work behind closed doors, I don't think the fanbase is that interested or large enough outwith the top six clubs to make closed door games commercially viable.

It would appear that a widely available effective vaccine is required before we will see football [as we know it] again.

• Like 2

I think it is encouraging that Anne Budge has been asked to do further work on reconstruction following the SPL meeting with the main sponsors being Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen. 

The report refers specifically to Budge's terms of reference being to look at Temporary Reconstruction and the Pyramid System! 

This suggests to me that those SPL clubs who voted against reconstruction because it was temporary have been leaned on and forced to compromise otherwise there would be no point at all in Budge agreeing to take this further! 

The Pyramid System could be the deal breaker as the League 2 clubs have already made it clear they don't want Brora or Kelty!  League 1 is also a tough nut to crack as the bottom 4 clubs do not wish to join the League 2 Clubs in an extended 3rd tier (this assumes 3 Leagues of 14 clubs) 

So quite a few hurdles for Budge to negotiate before reconstruction is achieved. I am a bit more hopeful than a week ago but still psyching myself up for playing in League 1 next season - whenever that is! 

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I wonder if we will join them, or share our legal advice.

Perhaps the threat of legal action will prompt the SPFL to twist some arms and get reconstruction through.

Budge is certainly doing things in the right order. I guess Hearts (presumably us and Stranraer as well) can only hope for two positive outcomes. Either status saving reconstruction or some sort of financial compensation (sort of parachute payment). The former in my mind is preferable as the latter could drag on and be open to compromise.

According to what I read, at this moment in time only France and Scotland are the only football associations relegating clubs with the season not completed, In France the club that is being relegate  is taking the league to court. If England  follow suit and do not relegate the bottom clubs,  It may put pressure on the SPFL to think again

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

I think it is encouraging that Anne Budge has been asked to do further work on reconstruction following the SPL meeting with the main sponsors being Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen. 

The report refers specifically to Budge's terms of reference being to look at Temporary Reconstruction and the Pyramid System! 

This suggests to me that those SPL clubs who voted against reconstruction because it was temporary have been leaned on and forced to compromise otherwise there would be no point at all in Budge agreeing to take this further! 

The Pyramid System could be the deal breaker as the League 2 clubs have already made it clear they don't want Brora or Kelty!  League 1 is also a tough nut to crack as the bottom 4 clubs do not wish to join the League 2 Clubs in an extended 3rd tier (this assumes 3 Leagues of 14 clubs) 

So quite a few hurdles for Budge to negotiate before reconstruction is achieved. I am a bit more hopeful than a week ago but still psyching myself up for playing in League 1 next season - whenever that is! 

Is the Premier not still going to be a problem. Does it not require an 11-1 vote to pass reconstruction and Hibs will not be voting for anything that keeps Hearts up.

I suspect that this is heading for the courts.

4 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Is the Premier not still going to be a problem. Does it not require an 11-1 vote to pass reconstruction and Hibs will not be voting for anything that keeps Hearts up.

It surpirises me if Hibs want to relegate Hearts.

It goes beyond rivalry and goes into actual damage inflicted on the club which is not resuulting (at least not entirely) from what has happened on the pitch. There's no fun in that, it's just bitter. I like to see us beating rivals, but I don't wish harm on them. And I know that some fans do, but surely the clubs should be bigger than that. Are they that petty?

Plus, surely Hibs benefit from the rivalry, and from derbies.

Am I naive?

3 minutes ago, allyo said:

It goes beyond rivalry and goes into actual damage inflicted on the club which is not resuulting (at least not entirely) from what has happened on the pitch. There's no fun in that, it's just bitter. I like to see us beating rivals, but I don't wish harm on them. And I know that some fans do, but surely the clubs should be bigger than that. Are they that petty?

Am I naive?

I fully agree with you, but if you look at some of the things that Hibs management and owners have said, they would take great joy from Hearts demise 

40 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I fully agree with you, but if you look at some of the things that Hibs management and owners have said, they would take great joy from Hearts demise 

Sad reflection of Scottish football, I reckon

54 minutes ago, allyo said:

Am I naive?

I know the rivalry in Glasgow between the ugly sisters is way beyond toxic for some of them. I worked in an office with a RFC supporter who was also a freemason and member of the OL, and he simply would have rejoiced if CFC went out of business! even though the fact that the existence of both of the teams in one league is the only justification for that league existing [its my opinion, the Premier League in Scotland will never be won by any team outwith the old firm] This is not a football rivalry, this is two lots of religious bigots, usually with subnormal education, applying their weird logic what should be a sporting occasion. My guess is much the same sort of attitudes exist in Edinburgh.

50 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I know the rivalry in Glasgow between the ugly sisters is way beyond toxic for some of them. I worked in an office with a RFC supporter who was also a freemason and member of the OL, and he simply would have rejoiced if CFC went out of business! even though the fact that the existence of both of the teams in one league is the only justification for that league existing [its my opinion, the Premier League in Scotland will never be won by any team outwith the old firm] This is not a football rivalry, this is two lots of religious bigots, usually with subnormal education, applying their weird logic what should be a sporting occasion. My guess is much the same sort of attitudes exist in Edinburgh.

I accept it exists between fans.

But I thought Lianne Dempster and Anne Budge had been working on collaborations before this came about. But Scottish football is a weird world 

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Suspect you are right about court but we live in hope. 

With regard to SPL  voting 11-1 required if proposal includes additions to National Leagues, for example, Brora and Kelty being promoted to enlarge League 2.

Restructuring without adding to numbers requires 9-3, for example 3 Leagues of 14! 

In some respects I was surprised by Hibs voting against reconstruction knowing it would mean relegation for Hearts. I started to become concerned when their CE, Leanne Demster resigned from the reconstruction group! 

Was also surprised by the recent "no sympathy for Hearts" remarks from Hibs manager, Jack Ross, as he used to be a coach at Hearts. His comments will not be well received generally and especially in the west end of Edinburgh! I thought this was stupid on his part due to the resentment his remarks will cause! 

1 hour ago, allyo said:

Sad reflection of Scottish football, I reckon

It also strikes me as odd that they have given the second reconstruction attempt solely to Ann Budge when she has a vested interest to save Hearts. Why not get Thistle, Stranraer plus Brechin/Brora/Kelty involves in any re-design? 

1 hour ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Yes there is no sense in bigotry just senselessness! 

If Rangers disappeared Celtic would win the League every year and vice versa if Celtic went by the board! 

The remaining club would become impoverished as would the rest of the SPL and Scottish Football - more so than it is at the moment! Why? Well because Sky and other broadcasters would have no incentive to invest in what would be the most uncompetitive league in the world! 

As mush as I dislike the baggage that goes with these two clubs Scottish Football needs them! 

56 minutes ago, sandy said:

It also strikes me as odd that they have given the second reconstruction attempt solely to Ann Budge when she has a vested interest to save Hearts. Why not get Thistle, Stranraer plus Brechin/Brora/Kelty involves in any re-design? 

Brechin will not be relegated.  Seemingly SPFL rules state a club cannot be put forward for the play off at the bottom of the league if the league season has not been completed. But they can relegate clubs without the season being completed. The Brechin chairman is on the SPFL board. Surprise,surprise. :thinking: