What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

Yes there is no sense in bigotry just senselessness! 

If Rangers disappeared Celtic would win the League every year and vice versa if Celtic went by the board! 

The remaining club would become impoverished as would the rest of the SPL and Scottish Football - more so than it is at the moment! Why? Well because Sky and other broadcasters would have no incentive to invest in what would be the most uncompetitive league in the world! 

As mush as I dislike the baggage that goes with these two clubs Scottish Football needs them

Not an unusual statement as often discussed years ago when the arse cheeks thought they could be heading south. I'm sure Scottish Football would survive fine without them. Indeed roll on the day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not an unusual statement as often discussed years ago when the arse cheeks thought they could be heading south. I'm sure Scottish Football would survive fine without them. Indeed roll on the day.

EPL don't need them, with a tv deal worth billions over the next 5years or so. They wouldn't want the baggage they bring with them either. If they wan't to go to England they would need to start at a very low level. We are stuck with them.

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

EPL don't need them, with a tv deal worth billions over the next 5years or so. They wouldn't want the baggage they bring with them either. If they wan't to go to England they would need to start at a very low level. We are stuck with them.

Sad but true. The only scenario I can think of that would see them play down there would be one where the TV company involved demand it. Unfortunately I can't think of a likely situation that would necessitate that sort of outcome. 

11 hours ago, exiledjag said:

If Rangers disappeared Celtic would win the League every year and vice versa if Celtic went by the board! 

The remaining club would become impoverished as would the rest of the SPL and Scottish Football - more so than it is at the moment! Why? Well because Sky and other broadcasters would have no incentive to invest in what would be the most uncompetitive league in the world! 

As mush as I dislike the baggage that goes with these two clubs Scottish Football needs them! 

Disagree.

In the short term yes. But after a bit of time whichever of the Clubs that disappeared would be forgotten about; kids would support other teams; an enlightened sponser would come on Board.

A lot of Scottish people love football and would continue to seek an outlet to follow the game. In my view the demise of one or other, buy preferably both. of the Ugly sisters would in the long term be good for the game of football and Scottish society in general.

This belief that we need them and the game would extinguish without them, is what gives them the unfair influence they weild over the whole game in Scotland ( most notably over the Authorities which are supposed to administer the game for the benefit of all Clubs),

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Emsca said:

Disagree.

In the short term yes. But after a bit of time whichever of the Clubs that disappeared would be forgotten about; kids would support other teams; an enlightened sponser would come on Board.

A lot of Scottish people love football and would continue to seek an outlet to follow the game. In my view the demise of one or other, buy preferably both. of the Ugly sisters would in the long term be good for the game of football and Scottish society in general.

This belief that we need them and the game would extinguish without them, is what gives them the unfair influence they weild over the whole game in Scotland ( most notably over the Authorities which are supposed to administer the game for the benefit of all Clubs),

Exactly this. How on earth do other small countries manage to sustain football, and successful football, without the bigotry and hatred perpetuated by the Ugly Sisters?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, exiledjag said:

As mush as I dislike the baggage that goes with these two clubs Scottish Football needs them! 

The Glaswegian ugly sisters reputation [and, to a lesser extent, those of the Edinburgh bigots] guarantees there will be a TV company wanting to broadcast the four episodes of the outpouring of bile, and this in turn finances what we know is the Scottish Premier League today.

But [at this point you have to allow yourself to dream] if you could sell CFC to someone in Ireland [but allow them to play in the English leagues], and sell RFC to an English owner [much in the same way Major League Soccer teams are sold in the US] I think Scottish football would become a better product. This is not something that will happen overnight, but eventually [perhaps after Celtic win their '50th in a row'] there has to be some common sense applied to football. Surely there has to come a point where winning a 'diddy league' over and over and over and over just becomes a pointless exercise?

I think given a period of transition, Scottish football without the uglies [or their fans] would be excellent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McCall Out said:

I'd keep Scally and remove Archibald and McCall

Eh? I don't know where to begin with that

Nothing against  Scally but he's never managed so why would you give him the top job?  Why wouldn't you go with the manager with a proven trak record?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McCall Out said:

I'd keep Scally and remove Archibald and McCall

I'm undecided about McCall and was when he was appointed. I also see no reason why Archie was brought back, but why on earth would you keep Scally? You always rip into McCall's record, so what justifies keeping Scally?

8 minutes ago, laukat said:

Nothing against  Scally but he's never managed so why would you give him the top job?  Why wouldn't you go with the manager with a proven trak record?

Think his username is the reason why that poster wouldn’t 

10 minutes ago, laukat said:

Because of his proven track record.

Besides, Scally has talked sense whenever I have heard him and lets be honest, any manager with a proven track record that we could get is going to be pretty crap. The only way we will get a decent gaffer is by taking a risk on someone unproven. There has been lots of posts requesting that we go for young players from Juniors or academy, so why not also give a young manager his chance, assuming that those making the appointment think he is upto the job.

1 hour ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Daily Record reporting up to 50% wage cuts next season. 

Surely Archibald or Scally will need to be moved on? Any club with two FT assistants is madness; but a L1 club! 

Lets hope that some of the wasters don't accept the pay cut and bugger off. However assuming that the players are currently furloughed, I think that cutting wages would negate that and probably cost us more money, at least in the short term.

For now it is probably cheaper to keep Archibald and Scally on. If we to get rid we would either need another club that wants them, or pay off their contract. By keeping them on, we can take advantage of the furlough scheme.

Edited by Dick Dastardly

51 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Hopefully (and its maybe wishful thinking) that the continued sponsorship by Just employment has provided an extra cash injection and may mean some of the key players eg Graham, Brownlie etc can be retained and the hardworking office staff are not let go 

Slightly taken with the irony of mentioning our shirt sponsors in the middle of a debate on who should or not go.  

18 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I have no problem with Scottish Football without Rangers and Celtic. I am sure the SPL would be very competitive and attract sponsorship perhaps at a lower level of finance! 

My problem, which perhaps I didn't articulate too well, is Scottish football with only one of them! So in summary the financial and football scenarios are Scottish Football:

- with both R & C (good preferably both strong and competitive) 

- with either one ( bad all round) 

- with neither (good, competitive but with perhaps lower levels of sponsorship) 

1 hour ago, Rid Skwerr said:

Can I vote for option 3, please?

I'm sure we'd pass the eleven votes to one hurdle - on this forum, at least.

I am sure, using SPL speak, scenario 3 would attract an 'overwhelming' vote in favour. But isn't that part of the problem! 

Football fans like Jags supporters whose view are not tainted by the relentless winning of titles and trophies  can see the issues related to integrity (in general and sporting), inclusiveness, justice and the sheer joy of watching football. Therefore when we add all of the above we can see a healthier game and environment without R & C! 

I am sure this view is shared by fans who support other clubs. 

The problem is the clubs. They cannot see past the financial position and consequences of losing R and/or C. The most obvious demonstration of this is the  requirement for 4 home games against them! A requirement that underpins the continuing existence of the small leagues which I think the majority of fans dislike. 

Therein lies the problem there is a disparity of opinion between what fans want (get rid of R & C & small leagues) and what clubs feel they need (4 home games against R & C and to achieve this - small leagues). 

Unfortunately the clubs have the power, not the fans unless the latter vote with their feet which we know won't happen! 

Apologies for length of post but one further point. I think R & C don't care about size of leagues or how often they play other teams. The problem lies with the 10 clubs below them whoever they may be from season to season!