What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

11 hours ago, exiledjag said:

I am sure, using SPL speak, scenario 3 would attract an 'overwhelming' vote in favour. But isn't that part of the problem! 

Football fans like Jags supporters whose view are not tainted by the relentless winning of titles and trophies  can see the issues related to integrity (in general and sporting), inclusiveness, justice and the sheer joy of watching football. Therefore when we add all of the above we can see a healthier game and environment without R & C! 

I am sure this view is shared by fans who support other clubs. 

The problem is the clubs. They cannot see past the financial position and consequences of losing R and/or C. The most obvious demonstration of this is the  requirement for 4 home games against them! A requirement that underpins the continuing existence of the small leagues which I think the majority of fans dislike. 

Therein lies the problem there is a disparity of opinion between what fans want (get rid of R & C & small leagues) and what clubs feel they need (4 home games against R & C and to achieve this - small leagues). 

Unfortunately the clubs have the power, not the fans unless the latter vote with their feet which we know won't happen! 

Apologies for length of post but one further point. I think R & C don't care about size of leagues or how often they play other teams. The problem lies with the 10 clubs below them whoever they may be from season to season! 

I agree with this …. it is short term greed versus long term satisfaction.

I personally don't think the clubs will vote to change the status quo anytime soon, but at some point in the future when RFC and CFC win the league year after year, and all the available cup tournaments year after year, there will be a tipping point where fans will simply lose interest. Once the fans lose interest, the advertising revenue drops, and soon after the cable / satellite TV people will scurry off to find another sport to manipulate to their own objectives and ambitions. 

The real problem with getting rid of the sisters [and their fans] is their toxicity. One is a supporter of the IRA and has an inbred hatred for the UK, the other supports the UDA, is more English than the English and dreams of the annihilation of the Irish state! ……………………… That sort of a background is not easy to sell to the English Football League [or even an Atlantic League?]

You simply cannot polish these two turds.

• Like 4

Can someone explain how this 11-1 voting requirement for SPL clubs came about? , I presume it was designed to prevent a situation where 1 Club puts forward a proposal for their own Clubs benefit, ie it needs an overwhelming agreement to indicate that it is for the benefit of the League as a whole.

It seems very unfair and is basically an obstacle to change. I would have thought 75% should be sufficient to achieve the same objective although >50%  would be more democratic.

38 minutes ago, Emsca said:

Can someone explain how this 11-1 voting requirement for SPL clubs came about? , I presume it was designed to prevent a situation where 1 Club puts forward a proposal for their own Clubs benefit, ie it needs an overwhelming agreement to indicate that it is for the benefit of the League as a whole.

It seems very unfair and is basically an obstacle to change. I would have thought 75% should be sufficient to achieve the same objective although >50%  would be more democratic.

No idea how it came about.  It is designed to ensure that nothing is passed unless at least one of  the OF agrees. Couldn't allow a situation where ten clubs vote for the common good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

No idea how it came about.  It is designed to ensure that nothing is passed unless at least one of  the OF agrees. Couldn't allow a situation where ten clubs vote for the common good.

If that is the genuine reason it is yet another example of these baw bags running  ( and ruining) the game in this country. 

1 hour ago, BowenBoys said:

I thought (and it's a subtle difference), that it ensured that the Old Firm had an effective collective veto. While it's not evident at the moment, the Old Firm (as the term applies) have tended to work together for the good of the Old Firm. This rule ensures nothing could pass without their collective say so. 

1 hour ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I thought (and it's a subtle difference), that it ensured that the Old Firm had an effective collective veto. While it's not evident at the moment, the Old Firm (as the term applies) have tended to work together for the good of the Old Firm. This rule ensures nothing could pass without their collective say so. 

Again- still a pish reason.

23 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

They did tho' have the opportunity to change the "11-1" during the years after rangers disappeared and sevco resurfaced. Led to believe Aberdeen remained for the status quo along with Celtic. Guessing the "11-1" came about as a sweetener immediately the SPL went from 10 to 12 clubs. In other words I'm not sure the voting structure was "9-1" previously.

The SPL was of course never about the common good. That view can easily be supported as they operated a one up-one down system, constantly denying the introduction of play offs, from day one till they ceased to exist.

27 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

They did tho' have the opportunity to change the "11-1" during the years after rangers disappeared and sevco resurfaced. Led to believe Aberdeen remained for the status quo along with Celtic. Guessing the "11-1" came about as a sweetener immediately the SPL went from 10 to 12 clubs. In other words I'm not sure the voting structure was "9-1" previously.

The SPL was of course never about the common good. That view can easily be supported as they operated a one up-one down system, constantly denying the introduction of play offs, from day one till they ceased to exist.

Was trying to research this yesterday, online. I had a feeling it came about when they switched from 10  to 12 clubs. Couldn't find anything though.

At the vote to change to 9-3, in 2013, it was rejected by St Mirren and Ross County. No idea why.

For those that think we should forgive the other clubs that voted to put us into league 1 the following article starts to hint at the ramifications of that

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8342029/Scottish-League-One-Two-JANUARY-SPFL-set-crisis-talks-future.html

I don't trust the Mail but it does have an air of truth to it.  Although why league 1 and 2 aren't viable and the champonship is another question?

If we don't play games until January I would start to question if we will ever return

28 minutes ago, laukat said:

For those that think we should forgive the other clubs that voted to put us into league 1 the following article starts to hint at the ramifications of that

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8342029/Scottish-League-One-Two-JANUARY-SPFL-set-crisis-talks-future.html

I don't trust the Mail but it does have an air of truth to it.  Although why league 1 and 2 aren't viable and the champonship is another question?

If we don't play games until January I would start to question if we will ever return

There was never any possibility of League 1 and League 2 playing behind closed doors. Even with paying customers, it is hard to see how any clubs outside the premier league could afford to pay for the covid-19 tests that the players and officials would need. 

You can forget football at Firhill before a vaccine is generally available

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

We won't be waiting on a vaccine.  We don't have one for SARs, Ebola or strains of Flu.  The focus of lockdown is to eliminate the virus by stopping it spreading.  We are moving into the controlled phase, not the cure phase, surely.

2 hours ago, laukat said:

Extending the Championship to 14 ( PTFC / Falkirk ) should be a no brainer if it suits the rest of League 1 / 2 not to be playing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

There was never any possibility of League 1 and League 2 playing behind closed doors. Even with paying customers, it is hard to see how any clubs outside the premier league could afford to pay for the covid-19 tests that the players and officials would need. 

Think that's about right.

Maybe there's a possibility the government could fund the testing if they see sport in a certain light. There's a certain irony in so much as the lower divisions are best equipped to handle social distancing. Certainly if the players and officials are tested then in most fixtures in the lower leagues the crowd to ground capacity ratio is generally historically low. Where ther's a congestion problem then fixtures could always be moved to larger venues (Stenny to Falkirk, Albion Rovers to Airdrie etc). Further to that if we went 14-14-14 (14-14-16) the third tier shouldn't present much of a social distancing problem whatsoever.

That's just trying to put a positive spin on what's looking like a very poor situation. As in a previous post I believe the duty of care issue on the home club to be a huge stumbling block.

20 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Think that's about right.

Maybe there's a possibility the government could fund the testing if they see sport in a certain light. There's a certain irony in so much as the lower divisions are best equipped to handle social distancing. Certainly if the players and officials are tested then in most fixtures in the lower leagues the crowd to ground capacity ratio is generally historically low. Where ther's a congestion problem then fixtures could always be moved to larger venues (Stenny to Falkirk, Albion Rovers to Airdrie etc). Further to that if we went 14-14-14 (14-14-16) the third tier shouldn't present much of a social distancing problem whatsoever.

That's just trying to put a positive spin on what's looking like a very poor situation. As in a previous post I believe the duty of care issue on the home club to be a huge stumbling block.

I really don't see the government paying for testing in sport, while there is problems with testing in health areas including care homes. As i type this Nicola Sturgeon is talking about the early stages of the lock down being eased, Golf, Bowls and Tennis mentioned. But no mention of football. As i have posted elsewhere on STV tonight 7-30pm, Scotland Tonight talks about how the coronavirus is affecting Scottish football and Ian Maxwell will be on it.

• Like 1