What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

56 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I think you are wrong in your assessment, but rather an me trying to argue the case either way, this article explains the vaccine process better [apologies, it is from the Telegraph !!]:-

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/covid-19-coronavirus-vaccine-news-us-uk-trials/

I don’t disagree with the article particularly......I’m optimistic they will find a vaccine but of course it’s not guaranteed but then I am an optimist ....we will have a clue from Oxford by the end of June 

Ian Maxwell on Scotland tonight later .....he says ....

A return to football across all the divisions in August 2020 is "unrealistic", says Chief Executive of @ScottishFA, Ian Maxwell.

He adds clubs will have to make decisions about when to return based on what works best for them

33 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Ian Maxwell on Scotland tonight later .....he says ....

A return to football across all the divisions in August 2020 is "unrealistic", says Chief Executive of @ScottishFA, Ian Maxwell.

He adds clubs will have to make decisions about when to return based on what works best for them

I didn't hear the programme and not knowing the context I don't understand the last sentence. 

The programme was at 7-30pm tonight. The way i took it, they will probably concentrate on getting the premier league up and running because of the new sky deal. The leagues below that  who knows. The Stranraer chairman was also interviewed and he didn't see any football at the lower leagues before January 2021. He said they could not afford to play behind closed doors. It was on STV, so should be on the STV player.

Edited by Auld Jag

48 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

The programme was at 7-30pm tonight. The way i took it, they will probably concentrate on getting the premier league up and running because of the new sky deal. The leagues below that  who knows. The Stranraer chairman was also interviewed and he didn't see any football at the lower leagues before January 2021. He said they could not afford to play behind closed doors. It was on STV, so should be on the STV player.

I don't get how say the Premiership can start even behind closed doors months ahead of the league below it. The leagues will be out of synch and promotion/relegation how would that work? Surely if the Premiership starts their season the others need to start at the same time or the Premiership needs to delay no?? It is all a bit odd, are they trying to kill off everyone below the top league by chance so they have their cosy wee league and get all the sky cash to themselves?

44 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

I don't get how say the Premiership can start even behind closed doors months ahead of the league below it. The leagues will be out of synch and promotion/relegation how would that work? Surely if the Premiership starts their season the others need to start at the same time or the Premiership needs to delay no?? It is all a bit odd, are they trying to kill off everyone below the top league by chance so they have their cosy wee league and get all the sky cash to themselves?

Think they already get 80% of the cash already !

7 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Just what the top teams would want . All the cash and no promotion. Probably set something up to get rid of one of the wee-er teams and get Hearts back!

• Like 1

I don't see that as a big problem.

If you could play a full premiership season and relegate no one, surely that would be better than not playing at all. i.e. You wouldn't cancel the premier league just because you can't play the ones beneath. That would be stupid, particularly since it's the big cash generator and satisfies the TV deal which every club depends on.

Hopefully lower leagues could catch up with a curtailed season.

Even if they did want a relegation without playing leagues below (if the full lower league season had to be cancelled), you've got a ready-made unjustly relegated Hearts waiting in the wings to solve that problem.

If there are going to be innovative ways of keeping things going while the virus is contained (and there are going to have to be) then this one isn't particularly difficult.

Edited by allyo

8 hours ago, Pinhead said:

A year of Premier League without any relegation and the lower league prize money evenly distributed is better than no football at all (although I have doubts that Livvy, Ross, Hamilton and St.Mirren can afford a season behind closed doors)

Spain hoping to start June 19

COPE say LaLiga hope to announce the calendar for the rest of 2019/20 next week with government approval. June 19 now the most likely start date, with the Seville Derby. Clubs to continue training in groups next week, full training from June 1.

12 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Would you have handled it a different way? have no temporary hospitals and running the possibility of having treatments in the corridors of overwhelmed facilities?

Easy to criticise, but have you ever set up a country in the best way to control a virus that is completely novel?

Politicians are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't, but what they have to do is 1) Protect human life, the economy is important of course, but the first priority to ensure the safety of the population.

The politicians in Scotland did as good job as they could, they did better than the English [but it was the English boastfulness, more than anything else, that let them down … you can be sure that somewhere in England, as we speak, there is a tory politician looking for something to 'ramp up'] they didn't do as good as the Germans [a relatively rich country], and nowhere near as good as the Greeks [a relatively poor country] figure that one??

The Track and Trace app works best the more people use it, but some people will choose not to use it as they feel it is an infringement on their human rights. 

I think on the initial threat the government was correct, but situation has changed dramatically. 

From what was forecast with almost all the country getting it and 10% of the nation dying, we have a situation that is way less than that, yet the restrictions are still in place. As for Scotland’s politicians doing a better job, I’d disagree, they have politicized it, they have hidden early data from the Nike conference, they have ignored the care homes, she is even on record as ignoring her scientific advisor. England started to open 2 weeks ago, as did rest of Europe. In fact a lot of Europe did not close down to the same level as UK, and have had similar if not better results.

Stop looking at headline grabbing total numbers, and look at % rates, compare them with % rates from other countries or for other diseases.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

Was trying to research this yesterday, online. I had a feeling it came about when they switched from 10  to 12 clubs. Couldn't find anything though.

At the vote to change to 9-3, in 2013, it was rejected by St Mirren and Ross County. No idea why.

Just a wild guess but perhaps self interest??

41 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

I think on the initial threat the government was correct, but situation has changed dramatically. 

From what was forecast with almost all the country getting it and 10% of the nation dying, we have a situation that is way less than that, yet the restrictions are still in place. As for Scotland’s politicians doing a better job, I’d disagree, they have politicized it, they have hidden early data from the Nike conference, they have ignored the care homes, she is even on record as ignoring her scientific advisor. England started to open 2 weeks ago, as did rest of Europe. In fact a lot of Europe did not close down to the same level as UK, and have had similar if not better results.

Stop looking at headline grabbing total numbers, and look at % rates, compare them with % rates from other countries or for other diseases.

I think most members would like you to keep your toxic  political views out of football threads.

For your information, by ALL accounts the Scottish public are much happier with their government's performance than what is happening in England. End of.

6 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

I think most members would like you to keep your toxic  political views out of football threads.

For your information, by ALL accounts the Scottish public are much happier with their government's performance than what is happening in England. End of.

What toxic political views?  Because someone questions the first minister, as normal they get jumped on regardless if the point is valid, I have also questioned Boris’s handling of it on here, and I still question the draconian measures still in place across UK.The post I replied to stated Scottish politicians had performed better than England, the stats do not back that up. Scottish care home figures are worse, R figure is worse and total percentage is worse, but even looking at UK as a whole my opinion is it needs to relax quicker than is happening 

54 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Well we will have to agree to disagree. I think the politician / political group that has not made a mistake in dealing with this virus does not exist. I'm sure there will be  scrutiny of every politician of every county in the months and years to come. But again I ask the question ….   knowing what you knew in January this year about this virus, could you have done a better job?

There is every chance we may see another wave of Covid-19 later this year, or early next year, hopefully what we have learned to date in 2020 will help in the control of the virus if and when it has a resurgence

With regards the timing of raising the lockdown, it follows that the virus impacted on Scotland later than it did in Italy, France or England, a difference in the timings of raising the lockdowns is logical. Politicians don't set the agenda, the virus does.

2 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

What toxic political views?  Because someone questions the first minister, as normal they get jumped on regardless if the point is valid, I have also questioned Boris’s handling of it on here, and I still question the draconian measures still in place across UK.The post I replied to stated Scottish politicians had performed better than England, the stats do not back that up. Scottish care home figures are worse, R figure is worse and total percentage is worse, but even looking at UK as a whole my opinion is it needs to relax quicker than is happening 

Scotland has a deaths per 100k number of 41, in England its 57.....if you know  an accurate figure for care home deaths in England that would be impressive as it’s  being deliberately suppressed ......the excess figure for deaths in England yesterday was 54,000 or 67% above the normal 5 year average rate the worst just about anywhere in the world .....according to the Economist England has a death accuracy number of only 57% in Germany its 93%.....and only today the Telegraph reports that in England they are counting the nasal and saliva tests on the same person as two tests to boost the testing number....yet Scotland’s doing worse ?! Care homes are an issue in .....Scotland, England , Wales, Sweden, France , Belgium, Spain , the US etc etc 

the Scottish govt has done fine given the circumstances and the restrictions ( its unlikely we could have locked  down separately for example and could not do some things eg close borders .....at least NS is there every day unlike Johnson the invisible man and the messaging is clear .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Well we will have to agree to disagree. I think the politician / political group that has not made a mistake in dealing with this virus does not exist. I'm sure there will be  scrutiny of every politician of every county in the months and years to come. But again I ask the question ….   knowing what you knew in January this year about this virus, could you have done a better job?

There is every chance we may see another wave of Covid-19 later this year, or early next year, hopefully what we have learned to date in 2020 will help in the control of the virus if and when it has a resurgence

With regards the timing of raising the lockdown, it follows that the virus impacted on Scotland later than it did in Italy, France or England, a difference in the timings of raising the lockdowns is logical. Politicians don't set the agenda, the virus does.

I agree not one political party or government has got everything right.

What we knew in January we acted accordingly, but what we know now I think we can speed up the relaxation of measures.

Norway locked down very quick, but when you look at 1st confirmed case to lockdown dates in Spain, Germany and UK they are basically the same, difference being Germany restrictions were less than Spain, UK and Italy

2 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

I agree not one political party or government has got everything right.

What we knew in January we acted accordingly, but what we know now I think we can speed up the relaxation of measures.

Norway locked down very quick, but when you look at 1st confirmed case to lockdown dates in Spain, Germany and UK they are basically the same, difference being Germany restrictions were less than Spain, UK and Italy

You are correct .....locking down early was the key those that did have fared better and why the U.K. govt didn’t do that will become the big issue as they could see what was happening .....look at the link below it cost thousands of lives ...

Earlier coronavirus lockdown 'could have saved 36,000 lives' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52757150

and to your point an earlier lockdown gets you out of lockdown earlier and easier as well

scitland has been trying to work with a nit very competent U.K. govt who have been last on just about everything