What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

21 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Unfortunately the popularity ratings don't back that up. According to yougov.co.uk, Boris popularity is rising, up to 39 positive and 43 negative, while Nicola is falling, down to 25% positive and 47% negative 

With today’s announcement from FM that Scotland will go onto 4 day working week when it opens up, this will severely disadvantage Scottish manufacturing Vs rUK or Europe. 

Will employees take a 20% wage cut?

Will employers be instructed to make up the 20%?

Will Westminster be asked to pay for it?

As I currently buy a substantial volume of products that are manufactured in Scotland, my inclination would be to start looking to England or elsewhere as firstly lead times will jump 20% minimum, and costing will rise plus suppliers are now more fragile.

I cannot understand where the reasoning behind going 4 days compared to 5 days comes from 

4 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

With today’s announcement from FM that Scotland will go onto 4 day working week when it opens up, this will severely disadvantage Scottish manufacturing Vs rUK or Europe. 

As I currently buy a substantial volume of products that are manufactured in Scotland, my inclination would be to start looking to England or elsewhere as firstly lead times will jump 20% minimum, and costing will rise plus suppliers are now more fragile.

I cannot understand where the reasoning behind going 4 days compared to 5 days comes from 

The FM suggested that employers could consider a four day working week. She said nothing about four day production. But don't let the facts get in the way.

5 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

No, I think the plan is to 'encourage' a 4 day week, as I read it is an aspirational piece of policy, not something the Scottish Government will or even could  'impose'.

Personally I agree with what you say, I normally worked 60 or 65 hours a week [normal for oil and gas work] and it worked well for me. 

5 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

She didn’t announce a four day working week for the simple reason she can’t ffs

she urged companies to consider adopting a four day week to ease the pressure on public transport probably noting the large number of people who already work compressed four day weeks 

When France introduced  a reduction in working hours there was an outcry yet it’s productivity still vastly outstrips the U.K.....we are obsessed here with confusing hours worked with good outputs which is one of the reasons we are a low wage low productivity economy

a four day week is coming down the road 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Dunfermline cull 17 players today including ex Jags Paton, Devine and Scully.  Think this will be the start of it for many clubs.

Another way of gauging things will be how quick, if at all, players released get signed up by other clubs. Lee Ashcroft for instance is one of the players released by Pars, and under normal circumstances someone as experienced as he would get himself a comparable club fairly quickly.

ADMIN

I know these are dreadful times and nothing is more important than people living or dying but first and foremost I come on here to read about all things Thistle - even if there is nothing happening on the park at the moment. Any chance this thread could now be made virus free and returned to the original topic?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

ADMIN

I know these are dreadful times and nothing is more important than people living or dying but first and foremost I come on here to read about all things Thistle - even if there is nothing happening on the park at the moment. Any chance this thread could now be made virus free and returned to the original topic?

How quickly we can find a vaccine, or a method for players to play in safety at low cost to clubs, is absolutely crucial  to how soon we will see football at Firhill. I would say that these discussions are relevant to this thread.

Edited by Dick Dastardly

8 hours ago, allyo said:

I don't see that as a big problem.

If you could play a full premiership season and relegate no one, surely that would be better than not playing at all. i.e. You wouldn't cancel the premier league just because you can't play the ones beneath. That would be stupid, particularly since it's the big cash generator and satisfies the TV deal which every club depends on.

Hopefully lower leagues could catch up with a curtailed season.

Even if they did want a relegation without playing leagues below (if the full lower league season had to be cancelled), you've got a ready-made unjustly relegated Hearts waiting in the wings to solve that problem.

If there are going to be innovative ways of keeping things going while the virus is contained (and there are going to have to be) then this one isn't particularly difficult.

I think this is the whole problem with football particularly in Scotland. Every club should be on an equal footing.  But our whole set up is geared towards benefiting the top flight and ignoring the rest. They are still acting as if the SPL is in existence.

5 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

The original plan for lockdown was to flatten the curve to ensure current and new NHS capacity was not overwhelmed.

What has happened in UK was not flattening the curve but delaying the curve, current NHS capacity wasn’t reached and the excess capacity wasn’t used.

The virus is not going away. We are in all probability a year away from a wide spread available tested and approved vaccine.

If lockdown isn’t opened sooner (but controlled like Scandinavia and Germany) you will have it willingly breached as people get fed up seeing no progress and have an uncontrolled spike. Even if it’s not breached on current R rate and % in 2 years time the UK will still be on lockdown as not enough people (5% of population on current models) will have been infected and a 69% infection rate is needed for herd immunity.

How long can any government keep paying furlough or unemployment benefit or rates relief at this level, with the economy on hold ie no tax income?

I think you are making too much of the U.K.  being a bit behind some other countries in relaxing the lockdown. There already has been some relaxation. Next week there is likely to be more. 
I think you are right about the economy - the U.K. has probably been way more generous than most other countries and the impact of that is yet to be seen.

3 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

The current plan for May 28 is still stricter restrictions than most European countries had since the start. If Scottish schools can only open part time in August then the economy will be massively restricted till schools open full time, especially for U12’s. There currently is no timeframe for a return to anything near normal, and until that returns (Like Scandinavia & Germany) then football is out the window.

Its only my opinion but I think the phase back in UK is way too slow, when you compare stats per head population with countries that have already relaxed or abolished the restrictions. 

You obviously forget that schools in Scotland stop at the end of June for the holidays. Childcare, I believe, is one of the areas allowed to open from next week. 
How have Germany and Norway managed their easing - presumably with track and trace ?

If track and trace gets up and running here, we could see a rapid relaxing of measures

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Unfortunately the popularity ratings don't back that up. According to yougov.co.uk, Boris popularity is rising, up to 39 positive and 43 negative, while Nicola is falling, down to 25% positive and 47% negative 

So the moral of that is if you want to be popular as a politician, just hide. 
Maybe Boris just can’t manage the hard times. Remember he disappeared for about 3 days after the country voted to leave the EU. 

13 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I think you are making too much of the U.K.  being a bit behind some other countries in relaxing the lockdown. There already has been some relaxation. Next week there is likely to be more. 
I think you are right about the economy - the U.K. has probably been way more generous than most other countries and the impact of that is yet to be seen.

It’s been way more generous than Norway.

All those that were laid off 6 to 8 weeks ago still have not been paid their 68% dole money. Fortunately we still had one income in the house till my partner started back 2 weeks ago. She’s had her 1st wage but still awaiting 6 weeks dole

32 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Just met Ian McCall at the fish shop in Byres Rd.....wearing his Thistle jacket....

2 snippets

1 He thought things would be clearer in 2/3 weeks

2 He had been working on the squad for next season this morning

Were there any decent haddies at the fish shop ?

2 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

It’s been way more generous than Norway.

All those that were laid off 6 to 8 weeks ago still have not been paid their 68% dole money. Fortunately we still had one income in the house till my partner started back 2 weeks ago. She’s had her 1st wage but still awaiting 6 weeks dole

I guess that is kind of surprising as Norway had built up a huge reserve fund from Oil, I thought.

11 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

You obviously forget that schools in Scotland stop at the end of June for the holidays. Childcare, I believe, is one of the areas allowed to open from next week. 
How have Germany and Norway managed their easing - presumably with track and trace ?

If track and trace gets up and running here, we could see a rapid relaxing of measures

Social distancing has always been the play here.

Work from home if you can was the play with a slow ease back now for office workers, I’m one of last to return (October) as I’m used to working from a laptop on planes, hotels and whilst traveling.

We have track and trace, primary schools and kindergartens been open for a month, secondary schools for 2 weeks.

Norway also only counted true COVID deaths, not those who’s terminal illness was slightly sped up.

Pubs  and restaurants have been open nearly 3 weeks now. 

Im off for a pint with my mates soon, no standing at bar and tables of maximum 5 people with a 1m distance between tables.

We are due to open up more next week. 

4 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I guess that is kind of surprising as Norway had built up a huge reserve fund from Oil, I thought.

Bureaucracy. Oil fund can’t be touched for that. Takes months to release cash from it. It has though lost 30% of its value since oil crisis and COVID