What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

10 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I think you are making too much of the U.K.  being a bit behind some other countries in relaxing the lockdown. There already has been some relaxation. Next week there is likely to be more. 
I think you are right about the economy - the U.K. has probably been way more generous than most other countries and the impact of that is yet to be seen.

Dunno if this is of interest. Here in Japan every household is receiving two high-quality, washable face masks (mine arrived yesterday, admittedly only when it's now looking like social distancing guidelines etc. are about to be relaxed), and 100,000 yen (over 750 pounds). Thank you, Mr Abe.

The only way scottish football is going to survive just like most industries is to adapt. Clubs live streaming games with quality productions as a subsitute for actually going to games seems to be a good option. I'd pay my £20 to watch a Thistle behind closed doors home game on TV streamed for a season if it waa going to help the club survive and scottish football. Its time to adapt for now because the options are limited. Might not be ideal but survival of the club and the game is the most important thing

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Bureaucracy. Oil fund can’t be touched for that. Takes months to release cash from it. It has though lost 30% of its value since oil crisis and COVID

Confused a bit. I had thought that a portion of oil sales was put into this fund. 

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Confused a bit. I had thought that a portion of oil sales was put into this fund. 

It’s allocated to buy stock and shares to fund pensions etc and a certain amount per year is drawn down based on the planned outgoing.

Dole or NAV money is normally funded directly from income tax and normal tax, but due to us going from 0.3% to roughly 14% unemployment at its peek, there was a shortfall, especially as tax from businesses, alcohol and flights basically dried up.

They made it tricky and slow to pull down from to prevent a rouge government squandering it

• Thanks 1

According to the daily record  at least 3 clubs in the championship cannot afford to play games behind closed doors. They are looking to either mothball their clubs for a season or only play an 18 game season. It says that Thistle could afford to start the season behind closed doors.

6 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

According to the daily record  at least 3 clubs in the championship cannot afford to play games behind closed doors. They are looking to either mothball their clubs for a season or only play an 18 game season. It says that Thistle could afford to start the season behind closed doors.

If 3 out of 10 cannot afford it and plan to mothball for the season then that should not hinder those who can play, send them to the lowland/highland leagues to work their way back up

If only 10 clubs or so from the 3 leagues below the premier league can afford to play without fans, they might need to have only 2 leagues next season. If that did happen  i don't know if they would still have promotion and relegation between the 2 leagues that did play.

54 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Nobody in the Championship can afford to play behind closed doors. What income stream is there?

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

If 3 out of 10 cannot afford it and plan to mothball for the season then that should not hinder those who can play, send them to the lowland/highland leagues to work their way back up

Agree with the first part. But that's from the same person who suggested that the premier couldn't start if the leagues below couldn't.

9 minutes ago, One t in Scotland said:

Nobody in the Championship can afford to play behind closed doors. What income stream is there?

Agree with you. I was just quoting what the record article said. It mentioned Morton were looking at streaming options. On off the ball Jason Leitch has just spoke about fans going to grounds even though games are behind closed doors, and he mentioned fans sitting on the hill at Firhill could be a problem.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, allyo said:

Agree with the first part. But that's from the same person who suggested that the premier couldn't start if the leagues below couldn't.

I actually suggested it would make no sense for the premier league to start as normal and the lower league starting in january because they would be out of sync. This has now been resolved because if this does happen then the lower leagues would then play a half season.

1 minute ago, Pinhead said:

I actually suggested it would make no sense for the premier league to start as normal and the lower league starting in january because they would be out of sync. This has now been resolved because if this does happen then the lower leagues would then play a half season.

Think the clubs in the Premier League would be quite happy to play out of sync if it meant no relegation. 

26 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Agree with you. I was just quoting what the record article said. It mentioned Morton were looking at streaming options. On off the ball Jason Leitch has just spoke about fans going to grounds even though games are behind closed doors, and he mentioned fans sitting on the hill at Firhill could be a problem.

Hopefully some thought can be given to whether paying a Chief Executive 'who only acts on behalf of the clubs'  £400k / year can be justified.

25 minutes ago, One t in Scotland said:

Hopefully some thought can be given to whether paying a Chief Executive 'who only acts on behalf of the clubs'  £400k / year can be justified.

Maybe Doncaster could forgo 50% of his salary this year and donate it to the lower league clubs instead? That would be community-minded of him.

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Misers Hill, my Dad used to call it.

The onset of this terrible situation, regarding Covid-19, will impact many people, football clubs, businesses etc. in different ways.

I will shed no tears for the football clubs that gambled to gain an unfair advantage, by speculating and (over) leveraging against tangible and non-tangible assets.

I'm sure in many cases, they were leveraging against thin air and the banks were only too happy to oblige.

If the outcome is one where Thistle can survive and others cannot, it will not have been done at the expense of those others. They will have been masters of their own destiny.

We should be very proud and take our place at the top table with whoever's left, while others get what they deserve.

Let's not forget how clubs like Dundee and others, literally stole our players some years back, by paying wages they could not afford, after we had advised the footballing world of our wage cap (£500 I think at the time). 

• Like 2