What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

15 minutes ago, sandy said:

Back on topic, I increasingly fear this might be the scenario we face; dropping into a third tier which is mothballed.

the budge plan will fail as it clearly is designed to save her team & sis the 4 who'll drop to join the league 2 division - looks like we're doomed and potentially mothballed 

11 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Ok , 

The care home deaths, because patients were sent back from hospital without being tested , brought to light by the media

The cover up of the Nike conference till it was brought to light by the media 

The closing of wards at Garnavel after Covid patients were transferred from the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, brought to light by the media.

Indisputable facts , maybe it was the media’s fault.

Be thankful you're not living in England, where the indisputable facts would probably cause you to totally flip.

Then again, maybe not.

13 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

the budge plan will fail as it clearly is designed to save her team & sis the 4 who'll drop to join the league 2 division - looks like we're doomed and potentially mothballed 

Yep no reconstruction.....can all the championship clubs afford to play behind closed doors next season ? 

14 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

If football goes ahead, all members of the Scottish professional set up should be allowed to play if they can. If that means rearranging into even just two divisions, then so be it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

If football goes ahead, all members of the Scottish professional set up should be allowed to play if they can. If that means rearranging into even just two divisions, then so be it.

I agree.

If the Scottish Government agrees to a resumption theSPFL must ask who wants to play a part, accommodating those clubs into leagues accordingly.

Those unwilling/unable should be mothballed till they can emerge from hibernation. 

There is no way Thistle and Falkirk should be dragged down with them.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

I agree.

If the Scottish Government agrees to a resumption theSPFL must ask who wants to play a part, accommodating those clubs into leagues accordingly.

Those unwilling/unable should be mothballed till they can emerge from hibernation. 

100%

1 hour ago, gianlucatoni said:

Totally agree. Don't even see how Hearts can now make a credible legal case after making that proposal. 

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

I agree.

If they force clubs into mothballing players will lose jobs and clubs could die. Would it amount to restriction of trade?

On 5/28/2020 at 11:00 AM, Balintore jag said:

Alas, yes  it does look doomed to fail and so we will be demoted/ relegated.   Extremely harsh on Hearts, Partick Thistle and, Stranraer.  But it's great news for Brechin. They will not be relegated!

Does anyone know why the play-offs were cancelled?  I've heard conflicting "facts".  Was it the SFA (who oversee the play-offs) that had no choice?  I'm sure I heard someone on Sportsound a few weeks say the SPFL would not offer Brechin as their candidate because Division 2 and/or the Highland/Lowland leagues had been wound up early.

48 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

Does anyone know why the play-offs were cancelled?  I've heard conflicting "facts".  Was it the SFA (who oversee the play-offs) that had no choice?  I'm sure I heard someone on Sportsound a few weeks say the SPFL would not offer Brechin as their candidate because Division 2 and/or the Highland/Lowland leagues had been wound up early.

Personally I think in the circumstances relegation is wrong and it's therefore correct that it was minimised by cancelling play offs. The only clubs promoted were those in automatic promotion places and I think this is correct 

I still think minimal reconstruction should have happened to eliminate relegation completely. (Which would have allowed a single promotion playoff between Keity and Brora).

But not to be. And given the whole mothballing thing I think it's moved on anyway.

Agree that clubs who wish to play must not be excluded 

To me, the most unfair relegation was ours, in the circumstances. 

I am pretty sick of Hearts sense of entitlement, attempts to bully the rest, despite the fact it may ultimately benefit us.

I wonder whether this may solve everyone's issues (bar one) :

12-12-10-10

DUFC for Hearts

hearts relegated, no relegation from Championship and Raith and Falkirk come up

No relegation from League 1, Cove and Edinburgh City come up

And the two non league teams come into bottom division provided they agree to no entitlement to prize money in year one, meaning no change to distribution model

I think of all the plans, this has the least losers

I actually thought that 13-10-10-9 for 1 season had fewest losers and could have been made to work if SPL clubs had given some gate money to compensate League 2.

It's not to be and I very much doubt that we will get any favours from our lords and masters if League One is mothballed.  I think the best we can hope for is a Premiership as near to normal and a temporary league for those clubs who can play, then resort to current set up for 21/22 season (with us in League One.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jaf said:

I am pretty sick of Hearts sense of entitlement, attempts to bully the rest, despite the fact it may ultimately benefit us.

I think Hearts are completely justified in their actions. A drop from Championship --> L1 involves a financial hit, however that is dwarfed by Premiership --> Championship. Particularly for a club with the outgoings that Hearts have.

2 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

I guess it had absolutely NOTHING to do with the Brechin chair sitting on the SPFL board!

interesting from Poland 

Poland is to allow football fans back into stadiums from June 19, in the latest loosening of the rules put in place to fight the spread of coronavirus.

A quarter of stadium capacity would be allowed to be used, the prime minister said, adding that the admission of fans to football grounds would be done in such a way that they did not gather in big groups.

England update 

The FA Cup, football's oldest competition, will resume next month and conclude with the final on August 1, the sport's governing body in England has announced.

With the English Premier League resuming fixtures on June 17, the Football Association said the quarter-finals of the knock-out tournament, part of the football calendar for almost 150 years, would take place on the weekend of June 27-28.

4 hours ago, ClydebankJag said:

If they force clubs into mothballing players will lose jobs and clubs could die. Would it amount to restriction of trade?

Health and safety always takes priority.

My real fear is 6 or 8 clubs state they can play in the championship behind closed doors and they run a smaller league with them, putting the missing 4 or 2 back in for season 21-22 to avoid us and say Falkirk taking their places in the league and being challenged.  This would suit Championship teams as no relegation and more chance of claiming top 2 spots.

I really fear for the future of the club if we don’t play till 21-22, especially with half our assets (ground) in the hands of 3BC as it diminishes our liquidity rating 

13 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

If teams are unable to play because they can’t meet the costs of testing is that a health and safety concession or a concession because of their financial limitations? Should other businesses be forced to mothball because their peers don’t have the infrastructure or funds to operate?

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

My real fear is 6 or 8 clubs state they can play in the championship behind closed doors and they run a smaller league with them, putting the missing 4 or 2 back in for season 21-22 to avoid us and say Falkirk taking their places in the league and being challenged.  This would suit Championship teams as no relegation and more chance of claiming top 2 spots.

A bigger fear I have is the SPFL announcing the fixture list, beginning on whatever date they decide it's going to start and then punishing clubs for not fulfilling their fixtures.

2 minutes ago, scotty said:

A bigger fear I have is the SPFL announcing the fixture list, beginning on whatever date they decide it's going to start and then punishing clubs for not fulfilling their fixtures.

We are unlikely to be on that list as 1st and 2nd division appears to be having a gap year

50 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

If teams are unable to play because they can’t meet the costs of testing is that a health and safety concession or a concession because of their financial limitations? Should other businesses be forced to mothball because their peers don’t have the infrastructure or funds to operate?

The issue doesn’t appear to be testing its playing behind closed doors.

3 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

We are unlikely to be on that list as 1st and 2nd division appears to be having a gap year

That sort of decision could benefit us in the medium term but at what cost? We may well end up getting asked to make up the numbers in the second tier but how many current championship clubs will go under?