What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

24 minutes ago, scotty said:

That sort of decision could benefit us in the medium term but at what cost? We may well end up getting asked to make up the numbers in the second tier but how many current championship clubs will go under?

The whole self serving shenanigans that has happened since the season was halted provides me with little hope we would be invited up to make the numbers up for a club that couldn’t afford to compete behind closed doors. I could actually envisage the 1st & 2nd division teams voting against it as there is no benefit to them.

A season without football for us or many other like sizes clubs could be devastating. We have 15 players, plus coaching staff contracted for next season, they need to be paid, furlough scheme will be finished by August. Stadium needs maintained, rates need paid, all with next to no income. The fundraiser and virtual 50/50 will wain over time, plus folk will get out the habit of attending games and will start to divert their time and cash elsewhere. 

So they’re  restarting the top league but others aren’t going ahead yet. Hearts (as an example) have the infrastructure to play but because Alloa (for example) don’t, Hearts will be left with mounting bills and no way to make money. Likewise us and Falkirk further down the league ladder. Clubs will need to start thinking about freeing players, and players may choose to ask for their contracts to be ripped up if they want to play any football this year because there are only a few clubs that can provide that for them. It’s a farce and will undoubtedly leave some clubs disadvantaged, and maybe put out of business. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

Does anyone know why the play-offs were cancelled?  I've heard conflicting "facts".  Was it the SFA (who oversee the play-offs) that had no choice?  I'm sure I heard someone on Sportsound a few weeks say the SPFL would not offer Brechin as their candidate because Division 2 and/or the Highland/Lowland leagues had been wound up early.

Seemingly it is in the SPFL rules( yes i was surprised they had rules), the season has to be completed before they can put up a team for the play off  against Highland/Lowland league champions. Yet it is ok to relegate 3 clubs when the season has not been completed.:thinking:

5 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Bottom tier don’t want Brora and Kelty. Period. Anything involving them is a non starter

Ok DD. I have said before. The SPFL should get all clubs together, give them worst case scenario and find out who is able to play for a full season. If any club cannot play they should be punished by relegation from current league or if already in league 2 start with a minus points total whenever they do return. The leagues for 20/21 season would be made up of the teams that can play a full season. Promotion/relegation would depend on how many teams/leagues start next season. Finally, surely the SPFL should put a new rule in place so everybody knows what happens if a season has to be cancelled prematurely again.

But the SPFL have said that they will try to save as many clubs as possible, so they can save all the seaside clubs and sacrifice us and Falkirk and say only 2 club failed. Besides they need the support of these clubs to remain in power and they are not going to give us any favours. Your plan would need a vote and no way it would get 75% of league 1 and 2 supporter
It’s not happening and best chance of football is a temporary league for those willing to play

I think we will get a solution, there is too much money involved. The Sky money which I think is about 9 million a year, some of which will be distributed at the start of the season. also Hearts would be due 300 grand parachute mone,y which would go back into the coffers, if they stay in the Premier .Also clubs that are saying they will not be able to take up the fixtures are being told they could face harsh penalties. 

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Would a 14-10-10-10 league set up have a better chance ? This would involve promoting 2 teams from each league, bring in Brora and Kelty, no relegation.

I just don't see what's wrong with 13. It may have been a problem years ago when everyone played at 3pm on a Saturday. These days games are shifted around so often you'd hardly notice the odd number 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, policemans whistle said:

I think we will get a solution, there is too much money involved. The Sky money which I think is about 9 million a year, some of which will be distributed at the start of the season. also Hearts would be due 300 grand parachute mone,y which would go back into the coffers, if they stay in the Premier .Also clubs that are saying they will not be able to take up the fixtures are being told they could face harsh penalties. 

What fixtures ? I don’t believe that there are any not to be fulfilled.

Remember the SPFL are not Doncaster and McLennan, but the member clubs. The member clubs are not going to penalise themselves

24 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Remember the SPFL are not Doncaster and McLennan, but the member clubs. The member clubs are not going to penalise themselves

So they didn't vote to relegate us? :thinking:

47 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

But the SPFL have said that they will try to save as many clubs as possible, so they can save all the seaside clubs and sacrifice us and Falkirk and say only 2 club failed. Besides they need the support of these clubs to remain in power and they are not going to give us any favours. Your plan would need a vote and no way it would get 75% of league 1 and 2 supporter
It’s not happening and best chance of football is a temporary league for those willing to play

Surely being able to play should come with some sort of reward and not being able to play should be punished in some way ?

I doubt we are in a position to start playing on August 1st either - given the ongoing costs of testing players and staff alongside playing in an empty stadium that requires constant upkeep and payment of rent/rates/utilities etc. 

Think regrettably it's looking likely we won't be playing before the new year and phase 4 - with reduction of 2m separation distance to maybe 1m as per WHO guidelines. 

Edited by gianlucatoni

15 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

It’s looking more and more likely we are going to be part of that cull group and have no football this year

Does the league not have a responsibility to provide opposition? Surely if they fail to provide opponents we can claim the league as the unopposed champions?

41 minutes ago, gianlucatoni said:

I doubt we are in a position to start playing on August 1st either - given the ongoing costs of testing players and staff alongside playing in an empty stadium that requires constant upkeep and payment of rent/rates/utilities etc. 

Think regrettably it's looking likely we won't be playing before the new year and phase 4 - with reduction of 2m separation distance to maybe 1m as per WHO guidelines. 

Phase 4 won’t be till next year?  Is this just Scotland or England too?
Most countries are already at 1m distancing (inside) and have plans to remove that. Schools in Norway remove them after the bank holiday on Monday.

Why also is UK at 2 meters (even outside) when rest of Europe has been at 1m

Edited by Norgethistle

3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Do you honestly believe that?

The SPFL is run by those 2 abetted  by Peter Lawwell. 

5 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

The whole self serving shenanigans that has happened since the season was halted provides me with little hope we would be invited up to make the numbers up for a club that couldn’t afford to compete behind closed doors. I could actually envisage the 1st & 2nd division teams voting against it as there is no benefit to them.

A season without football for us or many other like sizes clubs could be devastating. We have 15 players, plus coaching staff contracted for next season, they need to be paid, furlough scheme will be finished by August. Stadium needs maintained, rates need paid, all with next to no income. The fundraiser and virtual 50/50 will wain over time, plus folk will get out the habit of attending games and will start to divert their time and cash elsewhere. 

In that instance,  I suppose we'd have no option but  to invoke Clause 12 and cancel players' (and Managers'/Asst Managers' ) contracts, and put the club into hibernation till we were able to play again.   Hopefully, we'd survive, when others wouldn't.   

6 hours ago, scotty said:

That sort of decision could benefit us in the medium term but at what cost? We may well end up getting asked to make up the numbers in the second tier but how many current championship clubs will go under?

I didn't think I could ever say this because I would be devastated if the Jags shared the fate of Third Lanark!  There demise was a real tradegy for Scottish Football. 

We have been so badly treated by  the SPFL and individual clubs that as far as I am concerned 'I don't give a toss about how many championship clubs (or other clubs) go under; I certainly won't lose any sleep over it. I could even name a few I wouldn't mind losing like Dunfermline, Alloa & Dundee!

In the lower divisions they can all go except Falkirk, East Fife, Stranraer and of course, the Jags. 

6 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Phase 4 won’t be till next year?  Is this just Scotland or England too?
Most countries are already at 1m distancing (inside) and have plans to remove that. Schools in Norway remove them after the bank holiday on Monday.

Why also is UK at 2 meters (even outside) when rest of Europe has been at 1m

There has been no timescale put on to the introduction of each phase by either government. Although,  reading the reports from the media including the BBC, you wouldn't think this. A lot of the measures we are having to continue with are purely because the UK (including Scotland) were so far behind the rest of Europe in introducing restricting measures at the start of the pandemic. Observing the public's reaction to the very limited lifting of the restricions I believe it would be dangerous to tell people to follow their own judgement over further relaxation. After all we are talking about a British public who voted in Boris Johnson just to get "brexit done"!

Edited by scotty

Interesting to read that schools in Korea have closed again due to further outbreaks of Covid-19, and this after they were allowed to re-open based on what looked like a nice drop in the rate of infections.

And yet there are people criticizing the Scottish government for "destroying children's education" because the government thinks it wise to postpone re-opening until after the summer holidays.

Just imagine those people's reactions if schools did reopen now and children or their parents got infected............

6 hours ago, javeajag said:

F5B4402A-E4B1-4C2E-A849-488C9BBEB827.jpeg

So what are these "testing kits!. A plastic test tube, two swabs and an pre-paid envelope to send the used kit to a lab? The BBC seems to report according to its own agenda these days!

Edited by scotty