What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

My problem with the colt teams is that the old firm have chosen to use a time of crisis to further their own agenda's. Neither of them are interested in league reconstruction and once the colt teams are in they will quickly move the format of the leagues back to something that suits them.

It'll mean that both of them can have a decent crowd and income at Parkhead and Ibrox every week of the season rather than every other week. In turn their financial advantage will increase. It also leaves them an opportunity to exit the Scottish leagues for a European 2nd tier league whilst still retaining a Scottish prescence to hoover up local talent

Totally against the idea of colt teams but if its a serious proposition propose it in a couple of years time where the rest of Scottish football isn't under pressure to accept whatever is thrown their way due to a once in 100 hundred year pandemic.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, laukat said:

My problem with the colt teams is that the old firm have chosen to use a time of crisis to further their own agenda's. Neither of them are interested in league reconstruction and once the colt teams are in they will quickly move the format of the leagues back to something that suits them.

It'll mean that both of them can have a decent crowd and income at Parkhead and Ibrox every week of the season rather than every other week. In turn their financial advantage will increase. It also leaves them an opportunity to exit the Scottish leagues for a European 2nd tier league whilst still retaining a Scottish prescence to hoover up local talent

Totally against the idea of colt teams but if its a serious proposition propose it in a couple of years time where the rest of Scottish football isn't under pressure to accept whatever is thrown their way due to a once in 100 hundred year pandemic.

Again, can only go by my experience over here, but the B teams tend not to get crowds, most often because they are not played at the main stadium, The fans do not really care about how well the B teams do.

19 minutes ago, Colognejag said:

Again, can only go by my experience over here, but the B teams tend not to get crowds, most often because they are not played at the main stadium, The fans do not really care about how well the B teams do.

I think the same goes for the Challenge Cup, next to zero interest in the Colts teams

1 hour ago, Colognejag said:

Most certainly not popular in Germany. Have watched a few Fortuna Köln matches against the likes of Gladbach B. Terrible. No away fans. Much better playing smaller teams who do bring fans and actually care about the result of the match.

Should Gladbach B not be called Sadbach?

41 minutes ago, laukat said:

I am sure i heard Cappielow being mentioned as being used by the Celtic colts if they got in the league.

My thoughts too AJ.  I've not seen anything to suggest that these colt teams would play at Ibrox or Celtic Park.  Can't see either of them putting as much pressure on their playing surfaces as a match every week. Cappielow was certainly mentioned on Sunday's Sportsound.  I get the faint whiff of an insurance policy here  - embedding a presence in the SPFL for the day when/if they are called to Europe or England. Beware the Old Firm bearing gifts.

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

I am sure i heard Cappielow being mentioned as being used by the Celtic colts if they got in the league.

Even if they do not play home fixtures at parkhead or Ibrox they will probably have more of a crowd than Morton can get into Cappielow particularly if they are challenging for a league title. That means their colt teams are pretty much pulling in the same income as Morton's first team is which increases the financial gap.

I suspect the 3/4 old firm colt games will be at parkhead and ibrox to maximise the crowd.

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

I think the same goes for the Challenge Cup, next to zero interest in the Colts teams

I think thats more to do with the challenge cup being a pointless tournament. If the 2 cheeks have a team competing for a league title then then the hordes will attend. Only have to look at the crowd at Firhill a couple of years ago for an u17 glasgow cup game or BBC televising a scottish youth cup final final last year to see that its going to attract an audience other clubs can't compete with.

2 hours ago, Colognejag said:

I remember a few years ago RFC reserves v CFC reserves managed to get a crowd of about 25,000 at Ibrox, not sure why they managed to attract such a crowd [Glasgow Cup?], but the dismal truth about football in Scotland is religious bigotry, transferred onto the football field, does attract exceptionally good crowds and is a great money maker for the clubs …….. what a truly dreadful fact!!!!

1 hour ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I remember a few years ago RFC reserves v CFC reserves managed to get a crowd of about 25,000 at Ibrox, not sure why they managed to attract such a crowd [Glasgow Cup?], but the dismal truth about football in Scotland is religious bigotry, transferred onto the football field, does attract exceptionally good crowds and is a great money maker for the clubs …….. what a truly dreadful fact!!!!

Very true and very sad.

17 hours ago, Colognejag said:

That's when B teams are competing in "meaningless" fixtures. If Celtic and Ranger Colts are challenging for SPFL 2 or 1 they will pull crowds as they will see it as another trophy. 

What happens if or when they start challenging for the championship due to the funds they have and say 2 of the  play off places are taken by them, how long before the "Can't compete higher than the championship" rule is changed.  How long before Sky take the Old Firm "B" game as a scheduled live game.

Totally wrong

Edited by Norgethistle

48 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

That's when B teams are competing in "meaningless" fixtures. If Celtic and Ranger Colts are challenging for SPFL 2 or 1 they will pull crowds as they will see it as another trophy. 

What happens if or when they start challenging for the championship due to the funds they have and say 2 of the  play off places are taken by them, how long before the "Can't compete higher than the championship" rule is changed.  How long before Sky take the Old Firm "B" game as a scheduled live game.

Totally wrong

Do you seriously think Under 21 teams will challenge for the Championship? I'm not convinced they will. How many of their U21's have we had from them over the past few years that would worry you?

12 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Do you seriously think Under 21 teams will challenge for the Championship? I'm not convinced they will. How many of their U21's have we had from them over the past few years that would worry you?

I was worried when they played for us.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, jaggy said:

How long before they are allowed to field 3 or 4 over age players to get them back match fit?

17 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Was this not Greame Souness first game in charge??

If the preferences regarding TV coverage is left to SKY, the first choice is Old Firm games, the second choice would be OF second teams, the third choice is Hearts V Hibs. I would doubt that other Scottish football fixtures is of any interest whatsoever.

Once you sell the football transmitting rights to a company like SKY, sporting integrity begins to go. Football just has to hope that SKY doesn't loose interest in football!! once you have got used that income stream it would be hard to replace if it did disappear.

20 hours ago, Colognejag said:

but if fans can't get into the A team games due to restricted capacity, then they'll go in droves to a B team fixture just to keep their bigot points topped up - especially if the fuxture list is constructed to ensure they have a colts game at home when the As are away 

Edited by gianlucatoni

interesting ....

France's national court has blocked the relegation of Toulouse and Amiens from Ligue 1. French officials at the LFP will likely need to decide on a new league format for season 2020/21. Season 2019/20 won't resume. Interesting to see where they go with this.

26 minutes ago, javeajag said:

interesting ....

France's national court has blocked the relegation of Toulouse and Amiens from Ligue 1. French officials at the LFP will likely need to decide on a new league format for season 2020/21. Season 2019/20 won't resume. Interesting to see where they go with this.

Given our previous statement I still cannot see us going down legal road however with this news it may get Hearts to get their legal challenge wheels in motion if this is seen as a precedent.

15 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

English Leagues One and Two have concluded using the points-per-game system.

at least they voted within their own leagues and didn't have others making decisions for them. I'm surprised that League 2 has play-offs starting next week

• Like 1