What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

33 minutes ago, javeajag said:

So a friend of mine on the board of a lower league club had just told me 14 10 10 10 is going to pass ... Kelty players have been called to a meeting tomorrow .... also coming from a source at livi 

Believe it when i see it, don't trust them one bit

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

As a Jags fan in the current situation I have a great deal of sympathy for this opinion.

However, let us remember, they didn't ask to be put in this situation either. If they need to apply for a cash bailout to help them survive this then fair enough.

Now, if existence as a football club is only maintainable by not playing football then, surely, questions have to be asked about sustainability of some clubs.

It's well known that Scottish football clubs are more reliant on gate receipts than clubs in any other league in Europe. Looking at League Two attendances for 2018-19 shows that the average attendance was 504. So these clubs are relying on the money brought in by, effectively, 252 punters per week. In the worst case (Albion Rovers) it's 143 per week. They are barely ticking over. Of course they will vote in their own best interest, they are hanging on by their finger nails.

Never mind discussing 14-10-10-10, there is need for root and branch restructuring of the Scottish football.

I was talking about the money being gifted from James Anderson rather than a cash bailout.

My starting point before any vote or any handout would be to ask who intends to play the season.

Those that don't, shouldn't get a vote on reconstruction.

It's debateable as to whether or not they should get any handout either but let's take the high ground and say they should.

My nature is to agree that all teams should get through this but I'm struggling to see evidence that other teams have the same sentiment.

7 hours ago, eljaggo said:

All of the bluster and scheming by clubs to pursue self interest in league structures is simply pissing into the wind.

The fundamental truth is that there are too many clubs for the Scottish fanbase.  The economic fallout from Covid19 and then Brexit, will severely hamper Scottish businessmens' ability to prop up clubs, and so it is likely that whatever league structure is chosen, there will be casualties in the next few years.

Thistle seem to be better financed than most clubs, and could weather the storm more easily than most. 

If the vote goes against us tomorrow, the Club should hunker down, avoid legal battles and costs, discourage fans from attending away games and let other clubs go to the wall. 

Play the long game.

No, no and thrice No. 

That is exactly what "they" are banking on, that wee Thistle will humph and grump and write strongly worded statements, but ultimately will " hunker down" and accept thei fate and get on with it.

As I have said before we should fight this injustice the the bitter end hopefully causing as much damage to other Clubs as possible.

Chick Dung summed it up for me on the radio today- " what has happened to Partick is shameful , totally unfair , wrong blah blah blah........ but this has gone on long enough and we now need clarity and a clear way forward FOR THE GOOD OF SCOTTISH FOOTBALL" In other words whilst we all know it is acutely unfair , its just tough on those clubs affected and basically they are unlucky casualties . 

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

But there would then be a precedent for us to raise a case.... probably settled out of court thus saving cost

So you get bullied but rather than confront the bully you get a bigger boy to do it and hope that will stop the bully bullying you?

Nah not for me.

from kheredine at bbc 

Could the tide be turning for @JamTarts @PartickThistle @StranraerFC? Just heard from an @spfl Championship chairman who thinks clubs in that division have now resolved differences/objections & can support 14-10-10-10; he thinks the Premiership (11-1) holds key to reconstruction

Just think what it would have been like if Rangers had been two points behind Celtic with a game in hand and they had awarded the league to Celtic. You can bet your boots there would have been no football in the near future  and things would have gone to the European Court. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

So a friend of mine on the board of a lower league club had just told me 14 10 10 10 is going to pass ... Kelty players have been called to a meeting tomorrow .... also coming from a source at livi 

Hopefully correct. Why though would Kelty have a meeting with their players? I appreciate they would be up a league but why a meeting?

I’m sure I heard on sportsound that the clubs need to apply to the SPFL for the JA money and need to prove they are using it for covid-related things like testing and not for wages etc, so if these lower leagues clubs want to mothball for a season surely they can’t be given the money if they have no intention to kick a baw in the next year?

7 hours ago, jags on tour said:

I’m sure I heard on sportsound that the clubs need to apply to the SPFL for the JA money and need to prove they are using it for covid-related things like testing and not for wages etc, so if these lower leagues clubs want to mothball for a season surely they can’t be given the money if they have no intention to kick a baw in the next year?

James Anderson donates the money with no strings attached , no pre-requisites or condiitions. The fannies at the SPFL then decide to impose their own conditions and to complicate matters- Why?? Because anything that is straightforward and uncomplicated is an anathma to them. The guy has given X , there are Y number of clubs. Divide X by Y and distribute the money to the clubs. Job done.

What is it to do with the SPFL ( which as we are constantly reminded is  the menmber clubs) what the member clubs spend the monwey on? It is pure job creation on the part of the SPFL. 

10 hours ago, javeajag said:

This is encouraging but will believe it when it is confirmed. I had assumed the purpose of the two stage approach, informal feedback then formal vote, was to allow Doncaster the opportunity to enter into his 'Dundee' mode with the clubs indicating they would vote No! 

14 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

But there would then be a precedent for us to raise a case.... probably settled out of court thus saving cost

I am not a lawyer but if Hearts raise and win a legal action I suspect we and Stranraer would be considered as included as members of the SPFL and as such have to contribute to any compensation award made to Hearts. 

I don't think we can wait to see what happens and then decide what to do! 

This is one of the reasons I have advocated from the very start of this shambles that we must act with Hearts in a collective action. If for some reason this is not possible then we must act individually and as near as damn it at the same time as Hearts so that we differentiate ourselves from the rest of the SPFL members! 

In short if Hearts take legal action I think The Jags and Stranraer are left with no option  but do do likewise. 

12 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

The Clyde statement [part]:-

“Let me repeat, what has happened has not been fair to the clubs relegated and all clubs who have missed out on the opportunity for promotion play-offs. So, we do need to be pragmatic and accept a short-term solution to get to the other side of Covid-19 and address the injustices, but the solution proposed is not it. Reconstruction should be the product of a review of different factors, research and proper consultation - not a knee jerk reaction. 

Some of the huff and puff from this shower would make a dog vomit!!

This is why Scottish football is in such a poor state, when you have club secretaries / CEO's publishing tosh like this …. and how can a discussion that has gone on for the duration of the lockdown [best part of 13 weeks?] can be described as a 'knee jerk reaction'

I don't envy Ms Low and Gerry's job when they have to work with backward-looking  attitudes like this.     Extraordinary times call for extraordinary actions

2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

This is encouraging but will believe it when it is confirmed. I had assumed the purpose of the two stage approach, informal feedback then formal vote, was to allow Doncaster the opportunity to enter into his 'Dundee' mode with the clubs indicating they would vote No! 

I am not a lawyer but if Hearts raise and win a legal action I suspect we and Stranraer would be considered as included as members of the SPFL and as such have to contribute to any compensation award made to Hearts. 

I don't think we can wait to see what happens and then decide what to do! 

This is one of the reasons I have advocated from the very start of this shambles that we must act with Hearts in a collective action. If for some reason this is not possible then we must act individually and as near as damn it at the same time as Hearts so that we differentiate ourselves from the rest of the SPFL members! 

In short if Hearts take legal action I think The Jags and Stranraer are left with no option  but do do likewise. 

As I read things a majority of clubs could vote in favour of this reconstruction proposal but due to the voting demographics the motion fails. And, if Hearts/Hearts, Us & Stranraer went to court and were to be awarded compensation, then it's possible that the majority of clubs being forced to pay out thru the SPFL were clubs that favoured the reconstruction. As  ludicrous a situation as that is it's still not exactly that much of an unlikely outcome. Also surely the Hearts/Hearts, Us & Stranraer claim would be further strengthened on the back of a failed majority vote?

11 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

watching a Danish game on Freesports just now - stadiums empty & it's a hard watch - struggling to stay awake :yawn:

Have to say I thought La Liga's attempts at 'atmosphere' were ok - watched the Barcelona game, crowd noises etc seemed to time with the action. Best Saturday night I've had in quite a while! Me, the footy & some wine...

I don't hold out much hope for reconstruction. I can see there being enough clubs in favour of taking it to a vote but when the actual vote is held I think there will be more than one premier league team vote against which is all thats required.

I can't see how a 14 club to league is in the old firm's interest even before you start looking at the non-old firm clubs. On face value it means they are less likely to get relegated. However if the split is after 2 rounds of matches rather than the current 3 that means they all lose a game against the 2 cheeks. A game against each of those far outways what Hearts can bring to the non-old firm clubs.

In my opinion the only real hope for Thistle is Hearts take the SPFL to court and get an injunction to prevent the season from starting in lieu of the legal case being resolved. At that point the other premier league clubs financial interests to have games in a 14 team league than it doe to have no games for months.

It would be high risk for Hearts as they would need to cover the costs should their legal battle fail. However now the championship have delyed starting until 27th October it changes things a little. First Hearts could now state that have been denied the ability to trade due the vote to send them to the championship whihc probably increases their chances of success. Second Hearts know they aren't playing until the 27th October therefore have less to lose.

I don't see much value in Thistle joining the legal fight. If Hearts win there will be a top flight of 14 therefore we'll be in the championship. If Hearts lose there will be no compensation and only costs. So Thistle joining the legal fight at best could only lay claim to compenstaion that would be a minimal amount as we will technically suffer lttle  damages until after 27th October or at worse be liable for costs from 39 other clubs. That might change if the SPFL1 teams to a desicion to not start on the 27th of October.

Easier way out for the SPFL is  to buy Hearts off with some friendlys between the 2 cheeks and Hibs to take place once crowds return or make the Scottish Cup semi-finals 2 leg affairs to be played between August 1st and October 27.