What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

13 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Seemingly it has went to court. Could take up to 6 weeks to find out if they will get their money. After Brexit the courts probably thought they were going back to their usual run of the mill stuff. Scottish football now keeping them busy.

I was called all sorts of names on P&B for pointing out that many insurance companies were renaging on paying out due to the fact that COVID-19 wasn't a notifiable disease when the policies were taken out as it wasn't around. So I take it that's why it has ended up in court?

55 minutes ago, scotty said:

I was called all sorts of names on P&B for pointing out that many insurance companies were renaging on paying out due to the fact that COVID-19 wasn't a notifiable disease when the policies were taken out as it wasn't around. So I take it that's why it has ended up in court?

Not sure. Just says they will need to wait 6 weeks to see if their claim will succeed.

36 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Not sure. Just says they will need to wait 6 weeks to see if their claim will succeed.

FCA are taking a test case to court on 20 July to get a judgement on whether insurers should pay out on any of the policy extensions / wordings that are in existence. But whoever loses the case will appeal so it won’t be sorted out for months.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, scotty said:

So Dundee are also awaiting the courts deciding if they were unfairly treated and lost out by the season ending early? :thinking:

You couldn’t make it up could you?

I’d be amazed if any club had insurance coverage for the Covid pandemic. And If they did, it won’t be for their full losses. The only people who will get oodles of money from this particular court battle are the lawyers.

10 minutes ago, Big Col said:

You couldn’t make it up could you?

I’d be amazed if any club had insurance coverage for the Covid pandemic. And If they did, it won’t be for their full losses. The only people who will get oodles of money from this particular court battle are the lawyers.

As many of the businesses who will lose out are probably small to medium it will be interesting to see who the law will protect. Them or the multi-national underwriters.

5 minutes ago, scotty said:

As many of the businesses who will lose out are probably small to medium it will be interesting to see who the law will protect. Them or the multi-national underwriters.

AXA lost a court case in France a couple of weeks ago and are now paying out some money. As I understand it, any ambiguity whatsoever in the insurance policy will go in favour of the policyholder. But this will rumble on for months.

13 hours ago, Big Col said:

AXA lost a court case in France a couple of weeks ago and are now paying out some money. As I understand it, any ambiguity whatsoever in the insurance policy will go in favour of the policyholder. But this will rumble on for months.

Many of the Oil and Gas service companies in Asia [Kazakhstan in particular] are stating 'force majeure' as the reason for not fulfilling their contracts. Wonder if it could be used in the case of a football league being rendered incomplete and the competition inconclusive?  Mind you, there was no good reason to call the leagues so early in Scotland, that mistake was a self inflicted wound by the SPFL [IMO]

A force majeure clause typically excuses one or both parties from performance of the contract in some way following the occurrence of such events. Its underlying principle is that on the occurrence of certain events which are outside a party's control, that party is excused from, or entitled to suspend performance of all or part of its obligations. That party will not be liable for its failure to perform the obligations, in accordance with the clause.

On 6/19/2020 at 8:05 PM, scotty said:

Which was always the case with putting COVID on the death certificate when it may only be present but not the actual cause. I mentioned further back in the thread I knew of 3 families this happened to when COVID  most definitely wasn’t the main cause, they also have issues getting full life insurance settlement 

On 6/18/2020 at 3:05 PM, weebaldie said:

Eighteen team championship, 36 games , restart in September (10 weeks away) -Thistle problem solved.

Too simple, obvious and pragmatic an idea for the SPFL. Smacks too much like reconstruction to me!

Good idea though! 

27 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Too simple, obvious and pragmatic an idea for the SPFL. Smacks too much like reconstruction to me!

Good idea though! 

Ah but that would mean Cove would still be in the bottom tier of Scottish football despite being promoted!

Never understood why no one ever mentions it as still only two away from the top...