What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

2 hours ago, QXBoy said:

Please explain. Null and void or calling the season early meant the same as far as TV transmissions of Scottish football was concerned - there was nothing to see! By restarting  on August 1 the TV contracts are protected (apparently). So I ask again - why was null and void not an option (and don't hit me with crap about "prize money").  Anybody with half a brain could have found a way to deal with that.

Because no team would have won the premiership title. Plain and simple. Remember who runs the league and in who's interest.

interesting twitter thread from Alex marr 

So the new Premiership season starts on Saturday, here are just a few reasons why the #SPFL is managing to make a complete mess of it on the marketing side.

I was gonna write an article but it's probably better in Thread form.

No League Title Sponsor: It has been mentioned a few times on here, but for the league to not even have any sponsor, for this season is pretty embarrassing. I'd rather we not undersell the game, but a complete lack of initiative or imagination has been shown in finding a partner.

Live streaming: #1
Hibs for some mental reason decided to spend their resources on Dougray Scott and two people that make Janey Godley look funny, and so won't have their PPV option available til October leaving no mechanism for Killie fans to see their club's opening fixture.

Live streaming #2

The decentralization of PPV meaning that if fans want to watch their club's away games, they'll have to repeatedly sign up and give their details to opposition clubs' and making it increasingly difficult for fans to follow their clubs this season.

Live streaming #3

A complete lack of unity on pricing, which means that clubs like Motherwell and United are charging £12-13, whilst Livi are charging £20. The EFL iFollow service is accessible through the EFL website, and is simple(ish) to follow. The SPFL equivalent is not.

Foreign Broadcasting Rights #1:

Despite the SPFL having its biggest star (arguably) be a Colombian, Alfredo Morelos, the league never sold its rights to that country. With his transfer to Lille, the SPFL has now completely lost the chance to gain an audience in South America.

Foreign Broadcasting Right #2:

Two of the largest expat communities of Scots are in Canada and the USA. The league has no broadcast partner in either country for the coming season. Making the league's reach even less relevant.

Foreign Broadcasting Rights #3:

In Europe, the SPFL is no longer shown in France, Portugal, and Eastern Europe; all of those deals expired at the end of last season. There's also no "3pm" games being shown in Ireland, as the English leagues have often done.

FBR #4:

The League has no link on its website to its global broadcast partners. I've had to send emails to Albanian and Croatian broadcasters just to compile a partial list.

Social Media

The SPFL has only one active Twitter/Facebook account. This is ridiculous. A lack of divisional accounts means absolutely no brand recognition of the Premiership (or C-L2) brand(s); which in turn means people will just continue to call it the "SPL".

Social Media #2

To give credit the SPFL's YouTube offering is really good but could be improved by putting the scoreboard graphics on highlights and the like.

This is probably the best thing the league is doing marketing-wise, and they need to keep it up.

Fantasy

Ok, this is a minor one, but FFS spent a whole summer on marketing for their fantasy game and over 20,000 have signed up. The SPFL decided to announce their game 5 days before the start of the season. So they're splitting a fairly small base. Just another avoidable mess.

Just to be clear a lot of these aren't just the blame of one person, but of a culture of complete incompetence in marketing.

The Eredivisie, League of Ireland, Eliteserien and EFL are all showing examples of to market themselves, whilst the SPFL are not.

• Like 2

From The Guardian's coverage of the start of the [insert sponsor] Scottish Premiership

Celtic will almost certainly win the league and Rangers will battle against themselves for second place. It is the hope that kills you, so we might as well accept the situation now.

Aberdeen finished fourth last time around, so will be hoping to go one better this season. It’s good to have an aim.

So that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is that. Copy and paste this time next year. Utterly miserable.

An Aberdeen player has tested positive so will be interesting to see if their match in Perth still goes ahead.

One solution Doncaster could consider is ending season now ensuring Celtic are Champs and get the 10in a row and would also have the added bonus of us finishing 9th alphabetically and into play off for League 2.

22 minutes ago, elevenone said:

An Aberdeen player has tested positive so will be interesting to see if their match in Perth still goes ahead.

One solution Doncaster could consider is ending season now ensuring Celtic are Champs and get the 10in a row and would also have the added bonus of us finishing 9th alphabetically and into play off for League 2.

Doncaster will decide that 2 teams should be relegated as Brechin finish 2nd in league two and deserve promotion.

54 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Broke curfew.....few beers in Hawthorn Bar ?

10 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Well 2 players test positive and 6 more to self isolate .....plenty of pictures of them in various bars on Saturday evening ......£2500 fine ?

Surprised the game is still on, surely Aberdeen can request postponements?  They have 3 games in 7 days starting this weekend and will be at least 8 players down for a fortnight.

On 7/31/2020 at 11:17 AM, javeajag said:

interesting twitter thread from Alex marr 

So the new Premiership season starts on Saturday, here are just a few reasons why the #SPFL is managing to make a complete mess of it on the marketing side.

I was gonna write an article but it's probably better in Thread form.

No League Title Sponsor: It has been mentioned a few times on here, but for the league to not even have any sponsor, for this season is pretty embarrassing. I'd rather we not undersell the game, but a complete lack of initiative or imagination has been shown in finding a partner.

Live streaming: #1
Hibs for some mental reason decided to spend their resources on Dougray Scott and two people that make Janey Godley look funny, and so won't have their PPV option available til October leaving no mechanism for Killie fans to see their club's opening fixture.

Live streaming #2

The decentralization of PPV meaning that if fans want to watch their club's away games, they'll have to repeatedly sign up and give their details to opposition clubs' and making it increasingly difficult for fans to follow their clubs this season.

Live streaming #3

A complete lack of unity on pricing, which means that clubs like Motherwell and United are charging £12-13, whilst Livi are charging £20. The EFL iFollow service is accessible through the EFL website, and is simple(ish) to follow. The SPFL equivalent is not.

Foreign Broadcasting Rights #1:

Despite the SPFL having its biggest star (arguably) be a Colombian, Alfredo Morelos, the league never sold its rights to that country. With his transfer to Lille, the SPFL has now completely lost the chance to gain an audience in South America.

Foreign Broadcasting Right #2:

Two of the largest expat communities of Scots are in Canada and the USA. The league has no broadcast partner in either country for the coming season. Making the league's reach even less relevant.

Foreign Broadcasting Rights #3:

In Europe, the SPFL is no longer shown in France, Portugal, and Eastern Europe; all of those deals expired at the end of last season. There's also no "3pm" games being shown in Ireland, as the English leagues have often done.

FBR #4:

The League has no link on its website to its global broadcast partners. I've had to send emails to Albanian and Croatian broadcasters just to compile a partial list.

Social Media

The SPFL has only one active Twitter/Facebook account. This is ridiculous. A lack of divisional accounts means absolutely no brand recognition of the Premiership (or C-L2) brand(s); which in turn means people will just continue to call it the "SPL".

Social Media #2

To give credit the SPFL's YouTube offering is really good but could be improved by putting the scoreboard graphics on highlights and the like.

This is probably the best thing the league is doing marketing-wise, and they need to keep it up.

Fantasy

Ok, this is a minor one, but FFS spent a whole summer on marketing for their fantasy game and over 20,000 have signed up. The SPFL decided to announce their game 5 days before the start of the season. So they're splitting a fairly small base. Just another avoidable mess.

Just to be clear a lot of these aren't just the blame of one person, but of a culture of complete incompetence in marketing.

The Eredivisie, League of Ireland, Eliteserien and EFL are all showing examples of to market themselves, whilst the SPFL are not.

Sterling performance, well worth 380k a year.

Are the Aberdeen players as stupid as I think they are?  Crowded bars?  FFS.

I have been getting back into the real world.  Had an outdoor beer.  Then a trip to Dockyard Social in a big warehouse.  Then Merchant City last week.  Started well but........  Pubs are doing their bit and I can't fault the setup but it's the Glasgow public who need to get a grip.  Some people are drinking way to much especially in these circumstances.  With alcohol they get closer and closer.  Saw some real victims similar to Christmas Party nights steaming at 6pm in the street.

We will have peaks all over the country and world and need to control them but I feel the government(s), countries and businesses are working as hard as they can but the public overall are not helping.

31 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Are the Aberdeen players as stupid as I think they are?  Crowded bars?  FFS.

I have been getting back into the real world.  Had an outdoor beer.  Then a trip to Dockyard Social in a big warehouse.  Then Merchant City last week.  Started well but........  Pubs are doing their bit and I can't fault the setup but it's the Glasgow public who need to get a grip.  Some people are drinking way to much especially in these circumstances.  With alcohol they get closer and closer.  Saw some real victims similar to Christmas Party nights steaming at 6pm in the street.

We will have peaks all over the country and world and need to control them but I feel the government(s), countries and businesses are working as hard as they can but the public overall are not helping.

One of the biggest problems is people jumping bar to bar during a day/night out. That's just asking for trouble, but lots of bars that take bookings are limiting this to 1-2 hours so people have no real choice.

Don't know how it could possibly be policed though, short of people getting a stamp on their hand to say they had been in a pub and then they can't get access to another one. That's almost impossible to enforce.

It's pretty clear though that pubs are going to be a massive problem, indoors anyway. Most stuff opened up and we still saw a decline in cases but 2-3 weeks after the pubs open again we've seen an increase and clusters of cases.

The establishments themselves are probably doing everything they can, but ultimately people cant be trusted. Maybe have to reel it back in and only have pubs open that sell food and they have to take bookings.

Yeah agree with above.  Think we need to be like American bars.  Booking.  Table service.  Food. With adding of contact details and registration.

I really do struggle to see how things I miss the most - football and gigs will make successful comebacks.

(Also I do get swayed that outbreaks could be good !?! More healthy people need to get this in a controlled manner.  It's a virus. It's not going away.  We need to live with it while protecting those at risk older and unhealthy)

Edited by Lambies Lost Doo

Any truth to the news that the SG has forced a shutdown to the st johnstone  v aberdeen game , due to  breaches in protocol .

Can you expect any tighter control  if your team is mainly made up of part timers , when the full time outfits can't get it done . 

Edited by banderas

14 minutes ago, banderas said:

Any truth to the news that the SG has forced a shutdown to the st johnstone  v aberdeen game , due to  breaches in protocol .

Can you expect any tighter control  if your team is mainly made up of part timers , when the full time outfits can't get it done . 

Game off. Utterly moronic. Sums Scottish football up well.

• Like 1