What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

18 minutes ago, jaf said:

The problem is the whole globe is suffering. Argentina  already can’t refinance their debt. We are too much debt as a nation. It’s a bad starting point. 

A high debt load is manageable if you borrow in your own currency. When the UK came out of WWII the debt to GDP was around 270%, within 30 years is was down to 50%.

21 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

A high debt load is manageable if you borrow in your own currency. When the UK came out of WWII the debt to GDP was around 270%, within 30 years is was down to 50%.

I would add: During which time many cities had to be rebuilt, the NHS and welfare state was formed and the population boomed. 

5 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I would add: During which time many cities had to be rebuilt, the NHS and welfare state was formed and the population boomed. 

That’s right , but we had at that time , Shipbuilding, Manufacturing , Coal Industries , Steel Industry , Building etc , most of these sectors have been decimated over the years , IMO this is going to take 20 yrs to recover from if we don’t get back to work soon , going to have lots of bankrupt companies which results in a huge strain on the Welfare system . If people don’t have any money to spend it’s very hard to recover , there is no other option we need all the companies to survive this to give us a chance in the future.

3 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Explains how debts can be managed ....great podcast 

I’ll listen to it , problem we’ve got just now is the focus is on the health of a small part of the population and on the Scottish Government’s gamble there is going to be a vaccine whenever.

There should also be a focus on what the effect is on the majority of the population, their mental health, poverty from losing their jobs , what kind of life families are going to have after this is all over .

Being slightly political , Britain doesn’t seem to put such a high price on getting involved in meaningless wars and the loss of life that’s incurred there .

Strange times 

14 hours ago, javeajag said:

If you followed this thread you would know they never shut.....very poor trolling but keep trying It’s amusing 

You don’t understand humour? 

its amusing you try to infer progress in the UK from what other countries are doing. Places with Germany dealt with the early C19 challenges much more efficiently. To imply any similarity  is akin to equating apples and pomegranates.

At least things are changing a bit !

They were, they are now talking about locking back down as the R value appears to be heading above 1. We will find out tomorrow.

Also announced the border with Sweden will likely not open for 2 months 

56 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

They were, they are now talking about locking back down as the R value appears to be heading above 1. We will find out tomorrow.

Also announced the border with Sweden will likely not open for 2 months 

They had the same concerns in Germany cases are more volatile but that’s to be expected 

54 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Can't listen to it just now. Have to wait till later. So can someone please tell me if this is this the long awaited follow up to Days of Pearly Spencer?

Sadly no.....but this weeks podcast has really funny story in Smiley Culture.....!

1 hour ago, sandy said:

You don’t understand humour? 

its amusing you try to infer progress in the UK from what other countries are doing. Places with Germany dealt with the early C19 challenges much more efficiently. To imply any similarity  is akin to equating apples and pomegranates.

Irony klaxon !

all I’m doing is letting g people know what others are doing ....there is life behind the lockdown ....

Its impossible to predict what will happen with the economy post corona virus. There will be a lot of losers but there will be opportuinities. For example I can't see how public transport is viable with social distancing so assuming people want to travel it will mean more cars which in turn will boost a car industry that was struggling.

You will also get some opportunism from businesses. Most high street retailers are struggling to make traditional shops work so will they use the opportunity to move to online only and in turn shed staff and premises?

The real question is how opportunistic will be the government pay for the money its used? Does it do the only real option and increase taxes or does it try use it as an excuse to deliver its idealogy? Whilst Boris et al are out clapping for the NHS I would bet my money on them sizing up the opportunity to introduce private healthcare

It is however hard to see a scenario where unemployment doesn't increase and goods don't cost more. In times like that the non-essentials tend to suffer. So bars, restaurants, cinema's, entertainment and more to the point football are going to struggle with just the social distancing aspects. How do they survive with that and when people don't have the money to attend? Income from hospitality and sponsorship is going to take a real hit if there are less companies about, less well paid fans and without facilities to host fund raising events.

You see those countries in the FT chart I posted above .....not all countries Count deaths in exactly the same eg France currently excludes care homes and the U.K. only includes deaths that test positive for Covid 

the U.K. and Germany count deaths exactly the same way 

and yes in general countries that locked down early have fewer deaths Than those that didn’t 

Ok. However, drawing conclusions from  these charts is the covid equivalent of shutting the season down early - it ain’t over yet.

1 hour ago, laukat said:

Its impossible to predict what will happen with the economy post corona virus. There will be a lot of losers but there will be opportuinities. For example I can't see how public transport is viable with social distancing so assuming people want to travel it will mean more cars which in turn will boost a car industry that was struggling.

You will also get some opportunism from businesses. Most high street retailers are struggling to make traditional shops work so will they use the opportunity to move to online only and in turn shed staff and premises?

The real question is how opportunistic will be the government pay for the money its used? Does it do the only real option and increase taxes or does it try use it as an excuse to deliver its idealogy? Whilst Boris et al are out clapping for the NHS I would bet my money on them sizing up the opportunity to introduce private healthcare

It is however hard to see a scenario where unemployment doesn't increase and goods don't cost more. In times like that the non-essentials tend to suffer. So bars, restaurants, cinema's, entertainment and more to the point football are going to struggle with just the social distancing aspects. How do they survive with that and when people don't have the money to attend? Income from hospitality and sponsorship is going to take a real hit if there are less companies about, less well paid fans and without facilities to host fund raising events.

If this carries on like you say , you quite rightly say transport won’t be viable , so more cars on the road which causes more pollution , and with businesses closing down and the ridiculous business rates that we apply it’s hard to see where the recovery lies .

from bbc 

Am hearing that the current preferred option for the Scottish football Reconstruction Group is a 
3-tier set up of 14-14-16.  @JamTarts stay up, joined in Prem by @dundeeunitedfc @ICTFC. @PartickThistle stay in 2nd tier, joined by top 6 from Lg1. Brora & Kelty H into bottom tier

On 5/4/2020 at 10:00 AM, Dick Dastardly said:

I see no horses racing.

Matt Hancock is open to the idea of horse racing starting up again.  There is talk of it resuming within 10 days. It should be noted that the Health Secretary's constituency includes Newmarket.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/may/05/stalls-handlers-issue-safety-warning-over-horse-racing-return-to-action

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Ok. However, drawing conclusions from  these charts is the covid equivalent of shutting the season down early - it ain’t over yet.

Agreed. I also do not get how Germany is getting away with this. Testing a lot clearly helps isolate those who are tested positive to stop the spread. But the death rate is a different matter. The region Cologne is in, NRW, has a population of 18 million. They have 33, 700 recorded infected people in NRW, with 1,331 deaths. The death rate is staggering lower. Many Germans lead healthy lifestyles, but there are plenty who do not. So many more people smoke over here than in the UK too. Goodness knows how many asymptomatic cases there have been (as was seen with the FC Köln testing).

The easing of lockdown will tell us a lot. Construction workers have never been told to stay off work, DIY stores have never shut, People have been visiting relatives in each others homes where I live (not supposed to though). Almost all shops are now open and even places like Ikea are open. Final year group pupils went back to school two weeks ago P5 going back to school on Monday. 

We will see how wise that will be.

7 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

That’s right , but we had at that time , Shipbuilding, Manufacturing , Coal Industries , Steel Industry , Building etc , most of these sectors have been decimated over the years , IMO this is going to take 20 yrs to recover from if we don’t get back to work soon , going to have lots of bankrupt companies which results in a huge strain on the Welfare system . If people don’t have any money to spend it’s very hard to recover , there is no other option we need all the companies to survive this to give us a chance in the future.

Not sure if many of your list of industries actually made money for the UK, but that is a discussion for another day ….. The UK have another problem coming to them at the end of this year, and that is BREXIT. If we go off a cliff I would guess you could take your estimated recovery time and multiply by 2.

29 minutes ago, Colognejag said:

Agreed. I also do not get how Germany is getting away with this. Testing a lot clearly helps isolate those who are tested positive to stop the spread. But the death rate is a different matter. The region Cologne is in, NRW, has a population of 18 million. They have 33, 700 recorded infected people in NRW, with 1,331 deaths. The death rate is staggering lower. Many Germans lead healthy lifestyles, but there are plenty who do not. So many more people smoke over here than in the UK too. Goodness knows how many asymptomatic cases there have been (as was seen with the FC Köln testing).

The easing of lockdown will tell us a lot. Construction workers have never been told to stay off work, DIY stores have never shut, People have been visiting relatives in each others homes where I live (not supposed to though). Almost all shops are now open and even places like Ikea are open. Final year group pupils went back to school two weeks ago P5 going back to school on Monday. 

We will see how wise that will be.

Apparently one of the things the Germans do which contributes to their lower death rate is that they get people into hospital earlier which seems to work, they also had way over the number of ICU beds than the U.K. and the health system is better funded not having been subject to 10 years of austerity.....plus testing 100,000 a day from very early allowed them to get on top of it.....whereas we have always been playing catch up

29 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Not sure if many of your list of industries actually made money for the UK, but that is a discussion for another day ….. The UK have another problem coming to them at the end of this year, and that is BREXIT. If we go off a cliff I would guess you could take your estimated recovery time and multiply by 2.

No deal Brexit highly likely given the current state of talks !

Update on Austria which is encouraging.......sorry Sandy no cafe mention....

Austria began loosening its coronavirus lockdown three weeks ago, with thousands of shops reopening. Health ministry says it has not led to a new spike in infections, though further vigilance is necessary.

Update on Germany....

Germany’s Robert Koch Institute (RKI), official public health agency reports continuing fall in new coronavirus cases. German reproduction rate – R rate – falling to 0.71. There were fears that easing lockdown would have to stop when it crept to 1 a few days ago.