What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

3 hours ago, AlgarveJag said:

We won't be waiting on a vaccine.  We don't have one for SARs, Ebola or strains of Flu.  The focus of lockdown is to eliminate the virus by stopping it spreading.  We are moving into the controlled phase, not the cure phase, surely.

There may not be vaccines, but there may be treatments which there isn’t yet for covid

3 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I really don't see the government paying for testing in sport, while there is problems with testing in health areas including care homes. As i type this Nicola Sturgeon is talking about the early stages of the lock down being eased, Golf, Bowls and Tennis mentioned. But no mention of football. As i have posted elsewhere on STV tonight 7-30pm, Scotland Tonight talks about how the coronavirus is affecting Scottish football and Ian Maxwell will be on it.

Nicola is not a footie fan by all accounts so get the vibe it will not be a priority for her.

4 hours ago, AlgarveJag said:

We won't be waiting on a vaccine.  We don't have one for SARs, Ebola or strains of Flu.  The focus of lockdown is to eliminate the virus by stopping it spreading.  We are moving into the controlled phase, not the cure phase, surely.

I’m not so sure ....

Drugmaker AstraZeneca said on Thursday that it had secured orders for at least 400m doses of an as yet unproven Covid-19 vaccine being developed with Oxford university and would begin delivering them in September.

51 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I’m not so sure ....

Drugmaker AstraZeneca said on Thursday that it had secured orders for at least 400m doses of an as yet unproven Covid-19 vaccine being developed with Oxford university and would begin delivering them in September.

‘Unproven’? Eh, just no. No.

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

There may not be vaccines, but there may be treatments which there isn’t yet for covid

There is no vaccine for every flu strain, yet we carry on.

As I have stated before I do not believe what we’ve seen here or else where is to the initial levels forecast. There is a deliberate information on fear coming from governments for whatever reason.

Read ONS stats, check % of populations that have tested positive (it’s tiny), look at the total number in UK who under 60 with no underlying health issues have a died from it (roughly 450).  Folk are being labeled as a COVID related death and they are not. 

The temporary hospitals haven’t been used. The ex-NHS nurses that were called back (my cousin is one) haven’t been used. 

It was right to be cautious, but the actions that have been taken, and continue, will cause more deaths and misery than the virus. Folk are missing cancer testing, heart surgery and the knock on effect is massive.  Poverty that will ensue after this will put tens of thousands in danger, god knows what the mental health impact is.

So far we’ve seen the following which has eroded our “given” rights

- Working laws eroded 

- Borders closed

- Tracking in place

- Cash disappearing as we go cashless

15 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

As I have stated before I do not believe what we’ve seen here or else where is to the initial levels forecast. There is a deliberate information on fear coming from governments for whatever reason.

Read ONS stats, check % of populations that have tested positive (it’s tiny), look at the total number in UK who under 60 with no underlying health issues have a died from it (roughly 450).  Folk are being labeled as a COVID related death and they are not. 

The temporary hospitals haven’t been used. The ex-NHS nurses that were called back (my cousin is one) haven’t been used. 

It was right to be cautious, but the actions that have been taken, and continue, will cause more deaths and misery than the virus. Folk are missing cancer testing, heart surgery and the knock on effect is massive.  Poverty that will ensue after this will put tens of thousands in danger, god knows what the mental health impact is.

- Working laws eroded 

- Borders closed

- Tracking in place

Both Moderna and Oxford provide optimism on a vaccine 

4 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Both Moderna and Oxford provide optimism on a vaccine 

Moderna has been tested for safety on 8 people. Each of them produced an antibody response similar to that seen in diseased people. The results do not demonstrate that the treatment will work.

Oxford have tested on monkeys. It did not stop them getting infected. Human trials have started. 

Your glass is very half full. There are positive signs but a vaccine is a long way off.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/may/18/first-human-trial-results-raise-hopes-for-coronavirus-vaccine

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Moderna has been tested for safety on 8 people. Each of them produced an antibody response similar to that seen in diseased people. The results do not demonstrate that the treatment will work.

Oxford have tested on monkeys. It did not stop them getting infected. Human trials have started. 

Your glass is very half full. There are positive signs but a vaccine is a long way off.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/may/18/first-human-trial-results-raise-hopes-for-coronavirus-vaccine

I think your glass is def empty !
details on moderna below

I may be being optimistic but two giant companies already buying millions of the Oxford vaccine is to me an optimistic sign 

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

QOS chairman has said for  championship clubs to play games behind closed doors,they would need to be subsidised by either the government or football authorities.

If somebody can give me one good reason for the government ( ie. us ) to subsidise Championship games to go ahead with nobody watching I'm all ears.

8 minutes ago, sandy said:

I think you are a little bit confused 

Let’s see.....

Oxford are working on producing a vaccine ( so it’s unproven at this point  )

despite not  being proven to work yet Astra Zeneca have ordered 400m doses for September 

Oxford are working on proving it works or not and we should have an insight on that next month 

toddler enough ?

Edited by javeajag

5 minutes ago, One t in Scotland said:

If somebody can give me one good reason for the government ( ie. us ) to subsidise Championship games to go ahead with nobody watching I'm all ears.

Because it might be cheaper than paying for Furlough and/or unemployment benefit should the clubs fail entirely 

43 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

- Working laws eroded 

- Borders closed

- Tracking in place

Would you have handled it a different way? have no temporary hospitals and running the possibility of having treatments in the corridors of overwhelmed facilities?

Easy to criticise, but have you ever set up a country in the best way to control a virus that is completely novel?

Politicians are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't, but what they have to do is 1) Protect human life, the economy is important of course, but the first priority to ensure the safety of the population.

The politicians in Scotland did as good job as they could, they did better than the English [but it was the English boastfulness, more than anything else, that let them down … you can be sure that somewhere in England, as we speak, there is a tory politician looking for something to 'ramp up'] they didn't do as good as the Germans [a relatively rich country], and nowhere near as good as the Greeks [a relatively poor country] figure that one??

The Track and Trace app works best the more people use it, but some people will choose not to use it as they feel it is an infringement on their human rights. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Let’s see.....

despite not  being proven to work yet Astra Zeneca have ordered 400m doses for September 

Oxford are working on proving it works or not and we should have an insight on that next month 

toddler enough ?

I think you are wrong in your assessment, but rather an me trying to argue the case either way, this article explains the vaccine process better [apologies, it is from the Telegraph !!]:-

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/covid-19-coronavirus-vaccine-news-us-uk-trials/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

- Working laws eroded 

- Borders closed

- Tracking in place

There is no doubt we will need to find a way to live with it. What has aided immensely is the compliance with social distancing. The govts have admitted several times it far outweighed what they expected. That is the reason that the extra hospitals and medical staff haven’t been needed. 

Is it not the case that about 1/3 of deaths haven’t been tested for covid. 

The only measure at the moment to control this is social distancing. Prior to this transmission rate was about 3 or 4.

33 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Let’s see.....

toddler enough ?

Your sarcasm does not befit you Neil. There have been complaints already about your amateur understanding of health science. 

You should have stuck to banking. 

Edited by sandy