Jump to content

West Ender

What if they shut down the season?

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, AlgarveJag said:

We won't be waiting on a vaccine.  We don't have one for SARs, Ebola or strains of Flu.  The focus of lockdown is to eliminate the virus by stopping it spreading.  We are moving into the controlled phase, not the cure phase, surely.

There may not be vaccines, but there may be treatments which there isn’t yet for covid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I really don't see the government paying for testing in sport, while there is problems with testing in health areas including care homes. 

Aye clearly not in the immediate future but perhaps if/when supply exceeds demand and if testing ability has improved. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I really don't see the government paying for testing in sport, while there is problems with testing in health areas including care homes. As i type this Nicola Sturgeon is talking about the early stages of the lock down being eased, Golf, Bowls and Tennis mentioned. But no mention of football. As i have posted elsewhere on STV tonight 7-30pm, Scotland Tonight talks about how the coronavirus is affecting Scottish football and Ian Maxwell will be on it.

Nicola is not a footie fan by all accounts so get the vibe it will not be a priority for her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AlgarveJag said:

We won't be waiting on a vaccine.  We don't have one for SARs, Ebola or strains of Flu.  The focus of lockdown is to eliminate the virus by stopping it spreading.  We are moving into the controlled phase, not the cure phase, surely.

I’m not so sure ....

Drugmaker AstraZeneca said on Thursday that it had secured orders for at least 400m doses of an as yet unproven Covid-19 vaccine being developed with Oxford university and would begin delivering them in September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

QOS chairman has said for  championship clubs to play games behind closed doors,they would need to be subsidised by either the government or football authorities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I’m not so sure ....

Drugmaker AstraZeneca said on Thursday that it had secured orders for at least 400m doses of an as yet unproven Covid-19 vaccine being developed with Oxford university and would begin delivering them in September.

‘Unproven’? Eh, just no. No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

There may not be vaccines, but there may be treatments which there isn’t yet for covid

There is no vaccine for every flu strain, yet we carry on.

As I have stated before I do not believe what we’ve seen here or else where is to the initial levels forecast. There is a deliberate information on fear coming from governments for whatever reason.

Read ONS stats, check % of populations that have tested positive (it’s tiny), look at the total number in UK who under 60 with no underlying health issues have a died from it (roughly 450).  Folk are being labeled as a COVID related death and they are not. 

The temporary hospitals haven’t been used. The ex-NHS nurses that were called back (my cousin is one) haven’t been used. 
 

It was right to be cautious, but the actions that have been taken, and continue, will cause more deaths and misery than the virus. Folk are missing cancer testing, heart surgery and the knock on effect is massive.  Poverty that will ensue after this will put tens of thousands in danger, god knows what the mental health impact is.

So far we’ve seen the following which has eroded our “given” rights

- Working laws eroded 

- Borders closed

- Tracking in place

- Cash disappearing as we go cashless

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, sandy said:

‘Unproven’? Eh, just no. No.

Eh.....they are taking a risk if it isn’t ‘proven’ which is what is happening now then it won’t be used 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

There is no vaccine for every flu strain, yet we carry on.

As I have stated before I do not believe what we’ve seen here or else where is to the initial levels forecast. There is a deliberate information on fear coming from governments for whatever reason.

Read ONS stats, check % of populations that have tested positive (it’s tiny), look at the total number in UK who under 60 with no underlying health issues have a died from it (roughly 450).  Folk are being labeled as a COVID related death and they are not. 

The temporary hospitals haven’t been used. The ex-NHS nurses that were called back (my cousin is one) haven’t been used. 
 

It was right to be cautious, but the actions that have been taken, and continue, will cause more deaths and misery than the virus. Folk are missing cancer testing, heart surgery and the knock on effect is massive.  Poverty that will ensue after this will put tens of thousands in danger, god knows what the mental health impact is.

So far we’ve seen the following which has eroded our “given” rights

- Working laws eroded 

- Borders closed

- Tracking in place

- Cash disappearing as we go cashless

 

 

 

 

Both Moderna and Oxford provide optimism on a vaccine 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Both Moderna and Oxford provide optimism on a vaccine 

Moderna has been tested for safety on 8 people. Each of them produced an antibody response similar to that seen in diseased people. The results do not demonstrate that the treatment will work.

Oxford have tested on monkeys. It did not stop them getting infected. Human trials have started. 

Your glass is very half full. There are positive signs but a vaccine is a long way off.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/may/18/first-human-trial-results-raise-hopes-for-coronavirus-vaccine

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Moderna has been tested for safety on 8 people. Each of them produced an antibody response similar to that seen in diseased people. The results do not demonstrate that the treatment will work.

Oxford have tested on monkeys. It did not stop them getting infected. Human trials have started. 

Your glass is very half full. There are positive signs but a vaccine is a long way off.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/may/18/first-human-trial-results-raise-hopes-for-coronavirus-vaccine

I think your glass is def empty !
details on moderna below

 

I may be being optimistic but two giant companies already buying millions of the Oxford vaccine is to me an optimistic sign 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Eh.....they are taking a risk if it isn’t ‘proven’ which is what is happening now then it won’t be used 

I think you are a little bit confused 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

QOS chairman has said for  championship clubs to play games behind closed doors,they would need to be subsidised by either the government or football authorities.

If somebody can give me one good reason for the government ( ie. us ) to subsidise Championship games to go ahead with nobody watching I'm all ears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sandy said:

I think you are a little bit confused 

Let’s see.....

Oxford are working on producing a vaccine ( so it’s unproven at this point  )

despite not  being proven to work yet Astra Zeneca have ordered 400m doses for September 

Oxford are working on proving it works or not and we should have an insight on that next month 

toddler enough ?

Edited by javeajag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, One t in Scotland said:

If somebody can give me one good reason for the government ( ie. us ) to subsidise Championship games to go ahead with nobody watching I'm all ears.

Because it might be cheaper than paying for Furlough and/or unemployment benefit should the clubs fail entirely 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

There is no vaccine for every flu strain, yet we carry on.

As I have stated before I do not believe what we’ve seen here or else where is to the initial levels forecast. There is a deliberate information on fear coming from governments for whatever reason.

Read ONS stats, check % of populations that have tested positive (it’s tiny), look at the total number in UK who under 60 with no underlying health issues have a died from it (roughly 450).  Folk are being labeled as a COVID related death and they are not. 

The temporary hospitals haven’t been used. The ex-NHS nurses that were called back (my cousin is one) haven’t been used. 
 

It was right to be cautious, but the actions that have been taken, and continue, will cause more deaths and misery than the virus. Folk are missing cancer testing, heart surgery and the knock on effect is massive.  Poverty that will ensue after this will put tens of thousands in danger, god knows what the mental health impact is.

So far we’ve seen the following which has eroded our “given” rights

- Working laws eroded 

- Borders closed

- Tracking in place

- Cash disappearing as we go cashless

 

 

 

 

Would you have handled it a different way? have no temporary hospitals and running the possibility of having treatments in the corridors of overwhelmed facilities?

Easy to criticise, but have you ever set up a country in the best way to control a virus that is completely novel?

Politicians are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't, but what they have to do is 1) Protect human life, the economy is important of course, but the first priority to ensure the safety of the population.

The politicians in Scotland did as good job as they could, they did better than the English [but it was the English boastfulness, more than anything else, that let them down … you can be sure that somewhere in England, as we speak, there is a tory politician looking for something to 'ramp up'] they didn't do as good as the Germans [a relatively rich country], and nowhere near as good as the Greeks [a relatively poor country] figure that one??

The Track and Trace app works best the more people use it, but some people will choose not to use it as they feel it is an infringement on their human rights. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, One t in Scotland said:

If somebody can give me one good reason for the government ( ie. us ) to subsidise Championship games to go ahead with nobody watching I'm all ears.

no good reason, I wish there was

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Because it might be cheaper than paying for Furlough and/or unemployment benefit should the clubs fail entirely 

There are so many other industries higher in the pecking order than 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier football in Scotland 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Let’s see.....

Oxford are working on producing a vaccine ( so it’s unproven at this point  )

despite not  being proven to work yet Astra Zeneca have ordered 400m doses for September 

Oxford are working on proving it works or not and we should have an insight on that next month 

toddler enough ?

I think you are wrong in your assessment, but rather an me trying to argue the case either way, this article explains the vaccine process better [apologies, it is from the Telegraph !!]:-

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/covid-19-coronavirus-vaccine-news-us-uk-trials/

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

There is no vaccine for every flu strain, yet we carry on.

As I have stated before I do not believe what we’ve seen here or else where is to the initial levels forecast. There is a deliberate information on fear coming from governments for whatever reason.

Read ONS stats, check % of populations that have tested positive (it’s tiny), look at the total number in UK who under 60 with no underlying health issues have a died from it (roughly 450).  Folk are being labeled as a COVID related death and they are not. 

The temporary hospitals haven’t been used. The ex-NHS nurses that were called back (my cousin is one) haven’t been used. 
 

It was right to be cautious, but the actions that have been taken, and continue, will cause more deaths and misery than the virus. Folk are missing cancer testing, heart surgery and the knock on effect is massive.  Poverty that will ensue after this will put tens of thousands in danger, god knows what the mental health impact is.

So far we’ve seen the following which has eroded our “given” rights

- Working laws eroded 

- Borders closed

- Tracking in place

- Cash disappearing as we go cashless

 

 

 

 

There is no doubt we will need to find a way to live with it. What has aided immensely is the compliance with social distancing. The govts have admitted several times it far outweighed what they expected. That is the reason that the extra hospitals and medical staff haven’t been needed. 
 

Is it not the case that about 1/3 of deaths haven’t been tested for covid. 
 

The only measure at the moment to control this is social distancing. Prior to this transmission rate was about 3 or 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Let’s see.....

Oxford are working on producing a vaccine ( so it’s unproven at this point  )

despite not  being proven to work yet Astra Zeneca have ordered 400m doses for September 

Oxford are working on proving it works or not and we should have an insight on that next month 

toddler enough ?

Your sarcasm does not befit you Neil. There have been complaints already about your amateur understanding of health science. 
 

You should have stuck to banking. 

Edited by sandy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I think your glass is def empty !
details on moderna below

 

I may be being optimistic but two giant companies already buying millions of the Oxford vaccine is to me an optimistic sign 

:lol:

I'm glad you're happy.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we are in the 3rd tier i don't see us playing any games this year. At best we might get a sort of half season starting January 2021, when each team plays each other home and away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, sandy said:

Your sarcasm does not befit you Neil. There have been complaints already about your amateur understanding of health science. 
 

You should have stuck to banking. 

Irony klaxon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×