Jump to content

West Ender

What if they shut down the season?

Recommended Posts

from kheredine at bbc....

The @ScottishFA chief exec Ian Maxwell tells @BBCSportsound that it’s “ likely we’ll have football in August “ (Premiership football , at least).  My information for @JamTarts fans & the rest of the 2nd tier is that the Championship would start 6 weeks after the Prem (Oct ish)

And the Championship clubs hope to be able to guarantee an 18 game season , beginning around October, with the possibility of an extra round of fixtures depending on the progress in society overall in the battle to beat #COVID19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, javeajag said:

innovative approach in Denmark 
 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52782033

This is exactly the sort of thing we need to be thinking about. With maybe a 'entry fee' for games that is similar to the price of a normal admission (sustainability of clubs is what this needs to be about). Of course it wouldnt be the same but im sure lots of fans would be happy to pay there 20 quid every fortnight or two( or buy a virtual season ticket) for a season to watch their team online and help the game survive. And it wont be like that forever. 

Of course this is planning for worse case scenario without fans until next year and hope it doesnt come to that but we should be coming up with contingency plans as there are options and not just be saying leagues cant be played 

Edited by Jag36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After listening to sportsound this afternoon i think the premier league will start behind closed doors. The championship may also have some sort of season, maybe only 18 games in that season. League's 1 and 2 i think will be as they put it mothballed. If that is the case what would happen to Thistle, Falkirk and any other teams in the lower league's who can play on next season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CotterJag said:

Let's not forget how clubs like Dundee and others, literally stole our players some years back, by paying wages they could not afford

Motherwell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

After listening to sportsound this afternoon i think the premier league will start behind closed doors. The championship may also have some sort of season, maybe only 18 games in that season. League's 1 and 2 i think will be as they put it mothballed. If that is the case what would happen to Thistle, Falkirk and any other teams in the lower league's who can play on next season?

Common sense would extend the championship to include Thistle and Falkirk and anyone else who could play, Scottish Football however would tell us to go bankrupt and die while laughing at us

Edited by Pinhead
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, javeajag said:

from kheredine at bbc....

The @ScottishFA chief exec Ian Maxwell tells @BBCSportsound that it’s “ likely we’ll have football in August “ (Premiership football , at least).  My information for @JamTarts fans & the rest of the 2nd tier is that the Championship would start 6 weeks after the Prem (Oct ish)

And the Championship clubs hope to be able to guarantee an 18 game season , beginning around October, with the possibility of an extra round of fixtures depending on the progress in society overall in the battle to beat #COVID19

Aka if Hearts are struggling to get back up they will play another round of fixtures

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

Common sense would extend the championship to include Thistle and Falkirk and anyone else who could play, Scottish Football however would tell us to go bankrupt and die while laughing at us

Exactly this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely the solution that the geniuses at the SPFL will come away with will include:

Premiership -starts in August/Sept behind closed doors until Oct (or first Bigotfest)

Championship - starts late Sept behind closed doors initially,  3 rounds of games to be played

The rest-any survivors amalgamated into a 14-20 team league starting November playing each other 2 times

League Cup, Tunnocks Wafer Cups scrapped - Scottish Cup from this season completed and next years to only include the top 32 teams

At the end of next season Scottish football to be reconstructed 12, 20 then the pyramid

There might even be a case for amalgamations in certain circumstances just to preserve a semblance of a structure for Scottish football,  but that is unlikely (as is most of the above of course)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Common sense would extend the championship to include Thistle and Falkirk and anyone else who could play, Scottish Football however would tell us to go bankrupt and die while laughing at us

Agree. Common sense and Scottish football, words  rarely used in the same sentence. Also i think all efforts are just to get the premier league started because of this new sky deal.According to the Ayr chairman on sportsound today 84% of that money goes to the premier league teams.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Agree. Common sense and Scottish football, words  rarely used in the same sentence. Also i think all efforts are just to get the premier league started because of this new sky deal.According to the Ayr chairman on sportsound today 84% of that money goes to the premier league teams.

He also suggested that, to save Scottish football the top flight clubs could share this money more fairly amongst the lower leagues. Then had a good laugh at his suggestion.

The thing is, to save football at a professional level there has to be some planning and not just a survival of the fittest (biggest) attitude. I missed Ian Maxwell speaking  so only going on what was reported but he seems to think that football will start competitivly in August, there will be an instantly available testing kit that clubs can have installed at the grounds and FIFA, UEFA, the Scottish government or the tooth fairy will bail out the SPFL. There are a lot of commentators talking about what they'd like to happen but very few from a sense of reality.

Edited by scotty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The SPFL should be looking at costing across all leagues for temporary behind closed doors with a live stream to ticket holders.

What are the costs involved per club to run this, What is the potential uptake per club from fans willing to pay say 80% of a ticket price, but more importantly how do they pull that value to ensure that all clubs get a cut.  If Rangers and Celtic can stream to 5 times their capacity then the unfair advantage increases during a period when all 42 clubs need protection. Clubs going to the wall will damage the game mid to long term

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The death of Scottish football is happening in front of our very eyes. Mothballing the league we have been consigned to will cause irreversible damage. We will effectively need to start from scratch while other teams higher up in the foot chain will benefit with increased prize money. Why cant we have a reduced capacity at Firhill. We could easily have 3000 folk adhering to distancing rules, which is as much as we will likely to see anyway. Same applies for every club in the lower leagues where its almost as if its behind closed doors with the amount of folk who attend. Surely the biggest threat still is to the players, so the restart of any football in Scotland should be uniform to all leagues

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 9:41 PM, Norgethistle said:

Nice pint of Scruffy. There is a light that never goes out

image.jpg

Loving the smiths reference, and the thought of a pint and a proper catch up with mates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

The death of Scottish football is happening in front of our very eyes. Mothballing the league we have been consigned to will cause irreversible damage. We will effectively need to start from scratch while other teams higher up in the foot chain will benefit with increased prize money. Why cant we have a reduced capacity at Firhill. We could easily have 3000 folk adhering to distancing rules, which is as much as we will likely to see anyway. Same applies for every club in the lower leagues where its almost as if its behind closed doors with the amount of folk who attend. Surely the biggest threat still is to the players, so the restart of any football in Scotland should be uniform to all leagues

This crisis is almost being orchestrated by the top 6 or 8 clubs to cull half the teams and increase their own split of the prize money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

The death of Scottish football is happening in front of our very eyes. Mothballing the league we have been consigned to will cause irreversible damage. We will effectively need to start from scratch while other teams higher up in the foot chain will benefit with increased prize money. Why cant we have a reduced capacity at Firhill. We could easily have 3000 folk adhering to distancing rules, which is as much as we will likely to see anyway. Same applies for every club in the lower leagues where its almost as if its behind closed doors with the amount of folk who attend. Surely the biggest threat still is to the players, so the restart of any football in Scotland should be uniform to all leagues

Forget the supporters. It’s not about their social distancing. The show stopper is the testing of the players and staff to allow the players to go out. Until the prohibitive price of that comes down football at our level is a non starter whether with supporters in the stadium or not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Forget the supporters. It’s not about their social distancing. The show stopper is the testing of the players and staff to allow the players to go out. Until the prohibitive price of that comes down football at our level is a non starter whether with supporters in the stadium or not

It’s between £200 and £400 a test at the moment, so even at the cheaper rate we need 10 fans per staff member being tested to buy a virtual ticket, if at £20.  20 players, coaches, medical staff, kit men, match day staff (even reduced) you could be getting close to 50 tests a week, or 1000 tickets (home game every 2 weeks). That’s before wages are paid, camera equipment used, electricity paid, training pitches hired and buses booked.

If resources were pulled by all 42 clubs to pay the tests as a block then it’s possible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, sb1876 said:

Loving the smiths reference, and the thought of a pint and a proper catch up with mates.

Great track. Morrissey has lost the plot in recent years, but The Smiths wrote some brilliant music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Norgethistle said:

It’s between £200 and £400 a test at the moment, so even at the cheaper rate we need 10 fans per staff member being tested to buy a virtual ticket, if at £20.  20 players, coaches, medical staff, kit men, match day staff (even reduced) you could be getting close to 50 tests a week, or 1000 tickets (home game every 2 weeks). That’s before wages are paid, camera equipment used, electricity paid, training pitches hired and buses booked.

If resources were pulled by all 42 clubs to pay the tests as a block then it’s possible

QotS estimated £4,500 per week for 30 staff to be tested. That would be about £175k - £200k depending on how long the season is. Also, someone will have to pay for all the referees and assistants to be tested and all of the crew who are running the broadcast and commentary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

QotS estimated £4,500 per week for 30 staff to be tested. That would be about £175k - £200k depending on how long the season is. Also, someone will have to pay for all the referees and assistants to be tested and all of the crew who are running the broadcast and commentary.

One of my suppliers in Glasgow paid for the antibody test for all its employees 2 weeks ago and was £290 a test plus a call out and handling fee of £1000. The issue for a football team is how often do you do it and when?

If you test 48 hrs before a game you would need to quarantine all staff for that time from when test is taken and results are given till game is played. If the new instant test is taken on the day then games could be called off at very short notice and cross contamination happens between teams. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mothballing the lower leagues sums up Scottish Football nicely. Your Div One club gets to vote on relegating a club that possibly could start the season playing behind closed doors. Instead that club finds itself in a league that can't even start their fixtures never mind fulfil them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian Maxwell spoke about a machine that can do tests on site and you get results within an hour. Nobody else in the studio had heard of this machine. They were also surprised at how upbeat he was and at his thinking we could be playing football in August. As i have said before i think everything will be geared to getting the premier league started and the other leagues left to sink or swim. Although Ian Maxwell did say that the SFA would be doing everything they can to make sure all clubs survive and that includes everybody, including all levels below the professional leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Mothballing the lower leagues sums up Scottish Football nicely. Your Div One club gets to vote on relegating a club that possibly could start the season playing behind closed doors. Instead that club finds itself in a league that can't even start their fixtures never mind fulfil them.

I would hope the league insists on financial due diligence from all clubs in top two leagues so they can verify that they can afford to play behind closed doors without going bankrupt. If they can’t they should be moved aside for the teams in 3rd or 4th tiers that can

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, scotty said:

He also suggested that, to save Scottish football the top flight clubs could share this money more fairly amongst the lower leagues. Then had a good laugh at his suggestion.

The thing is, to save football at a professional level there has to be some planning and not just a survival of the fittest (biggest) attitude. I missed Ian Maxwell speaking  so only going on what was reported but he seems to think that football will start competitivly in August, there will be an instantly available testing kit that clubs can have installed at the grounds and FIFA, UEFA, the Scottish government or the tooth fairy will bail out the SPFL. There are a lot of commentators talking about what they'd like to happen but very few from a sense of reality.

I wonder whether it is right that football clubs get access to testing kits when nhs and care home workers are still struggling to get tested ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The costs of testing will come down as many companies are devloping kits. 

It's a fast moving situation and think as someone said above the virus will decide what happens.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×