What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

32 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

What are league's 1 and 2 doing. Have they just decided that there will be no 20/21 season. If they have where does that leave us ?

Aye all these teams have voted for us to get relegated and they can’t afford to start the new season behind closed doors, so I guess we will end up losing all our better players as they wan’t to play at a higher level or the rest will be freed when the furlough scheme ends? Starting to fear for the future of Thistle, I can’t see there being a ‘survival of the fittest breakaway league’ more likely the bottom leagues will be left to rot away.

The AZ vaccine sounds like a game changer. First doses due in September. Health care workers and most vulnerable will get it first, then rolled out to the rest of the population. If that comes then Football as we know it could be back by Christmas

Edited by ironfist

On 5/18/2020 at 7:59 PM, exiledjag said:

other

Thistle and Falkirk have fallen on hard times as all clubs do from time to time. They are clubs with a history and potential to contribute to the greater good of Scottish football.

The Alloas, Peterheads and Arbroaths have their moments in the sun now but they offer nothing, never have, never will.

The current situation has highlighted that there are far too many teams in our leagues as all the other teams in divisions 1 and 2 (and some in the Championship) can’t/won’t play football. If they can’t play they should be chucked out to find a level outside.

These are the teams that voted to relegate us and retain Falkirk so they could sponge from our travelling support. They are a drain on Scottish football so here’s an opportunity to get rid and streamline.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

Thistle and Falkirk have fallen on hard times as all clubs do from time to time. They are clubs with a history and potential to contribute to the greater good of Scottish football.

The Alloas, Peterheads and Arbroaths have their moments in the sun now but they offer nothing, never have, never will.

The current situation has highlighted that there are far too many teams in our leagues as all the other teams in divisions 1 and 2 (and some in the Championship) can’t/won’t play football. If they can’t play they should be chucked out to find a level outside.

These are the teams that voted to relegate us and retain Falkirk so they could sponge from our travelling support. They are a drain on Scottish football so here’s an opportunity to get rid and streamline.

Always said we need two top divisions with a pyramid system below that 

12 hours ago, javeajag said:

from Kheredine at bbc

Away from Downing St, am told the @spfl Championship meeting discussed starting Scotland’s 2nd tier in Oct but clubs want comfort from @scotgov (Fri) that stadia will be able to reopen with 1/3rd capacity by Jan (eg 6-7000 @JamTarts ) to finance completion of 18 or 27 game season

Genuine question. I get the sitting a distance apart bit. Sadly in a way, given home attendances at Firhill and many other stadia that's rarely too much a problem. I can even get the arriving bit and seats being allocated in order. It's when someone needs to leave their seat to go to the toilet for instance and the whole half time routine. How is it remotely possible to effect reasonable levels of social distancing or anything like it for roughly two and a quarter hours?

• Like 1

From tomorrow you can visit care homes in Norway, we currently have 402 active cases across the whole country.

Technically it can no longer be classed as an epidemic as per WHO guidelines 0,4% of the country is the minimum threshold for infections Norway is now at 0,007% 

To date only 8364 have tested positive (0,15% of population) with only 235 deaths

4 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

From tomorrow you can visit care homes in Norway, we currently have 402 active cases across the whole country.

Technically it can no longer be classed as an epidemic as per WHO guidelines 0,4% of the country is the minimum threshold for infections Norway is now at 0,007% 

To date only 8364 have tested positive (0,15% of population) with only 235 deaths

The "0.15% of population" figure would mean something important only if the entire population has been tested.

some optimistic news

Prof Karl Sikora

Really encouraging to read Dr María Neira, the WHO Director for Public Health, say their models are showing a second wave being increasingly ruled out.

Caution required, but she thinks that the virus will have a hard time surviving.

The most optimistic the WHO have been!

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Genuine question. I get the sitting a distance apart bit. Sadly in a way, given home attendances at Firhill and many other stadia that's rarely too much a problem. I can even get the arriving bit and seats being allocated in order. It's when someone needs to leave their seat to go to the toilet for instance and the whole half time routine. How is it remotely possible to effect reasonable levels of social distancing or anything like it for roughly two and a quarter hours?

The other thing to consider is if some sort of emergency occurs e.g. fire alarm, that requires the ground to be evacuated. I'm sure people wouldn't be filing out in an orderly manner, one at a time. 

31 minutes ago, Aliballibee said:

The other thing to consider is if some sort of emergency occurs e.g. fire alarm, that requires the ground to be evacuated. I'm sure people wouldn't be filing out in an orderly manner, one at a time. 

You don't have to be Dominic Cummings to consider risk of life as a reason to break social distancing rules.

26 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

You don't have to be Dominic Cummings to consider risk of life as a reason to break social distancing rules.

Dominic's stories have a wiff of Prince Andrews 'Woking Pizza Express' bullshyte about them.

Could half of the JH stand ST holders use the Main Stand as an alternative? Have gaps of 2 empty rows between occupied ones?

33 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Dominic's stories have a wiff of Prince Andrews 'Woking Pizza Express' bullshyte about them.

Could half of the JH stand ST holders use the Main Stand as an alternative? Have gaps of 2 empty rows between occupied ones?

The empty rows could be used for going in and out by removing seats along the empty row so people could move into the row below to get out without pushing past.

more promising news....

UK approves limited use of Gilead drug remdesivir to treat Covid-19

Donato Paolo Mancini in London

Gilead's experimental coronavirus drug remdesivir will be made available to selected patients in the UK, health officials said on Tuesday.

Under the Early Access to Medicines Scheme, NHS coronavirus patients who are hospitalised will be able to receive the drug. Treatment will be limited to those showing the greatest likelihood of benefit, the Department of Health said.

The scheme is used in circumstances in which there is a clear medical need but no drugs have yet received marketing approval.

Earlier this month, the US Food and Drug Administration approved the drug for emergency use. Japan has also approved it to treat Covid-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus.

Remdesivir was initially developed to treat viral conditions, and was later assessed against Ebola, but never approved to treat that disease.

Peer-reviewed evidence, released in The New England Journal of Medicine last week, shows the drug shortens time to recovery by about four days. Effects on mortality are still unclear. 

A peer reviewed study published last month in The Lancet showed no statistically significant benefit, though the company and investigators involved said it was statistically underpowered. Trials, including in the UK, are continuing.

Gilead, which is providing the drug free of charge as part of its efforts to donate 1.5m vials, said it would continue to work closely with the UK government to enable broader access to patients across the UK. New York-listed shares gained 1.3 per cent in pre-market trade.

46 minutes ago, javeajag said:

more promising news....

UK approves limited use of Gilead drug remdesivir to treat Covid-19

Donato Paolo Mancini in London

Gilead's experimental coronavirus drug remdesivir will be made available to selected patients in the UK, health officials said on Tuesday.

Under the Early Access to Medicines Scheme, NHS coronavirus patients who are hospitalised will be able to receive the drug. Treatment will be limited to those showing the greatest likelihood of benefit, the Department of Health said.

The scheme is used in circumstances in which there is a clear medical need but no drugs have yet received marketing approval.

Earlier this month, the US Food and Drug Administration approved the drug for emergency use. Japan has also approved it to treat Covid-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus.

Remdesivir was initially developed to treat viral conditions, and was later assessed against Ebola, but never approved to treat that disease.

Peer-reviewed evidence, released in The New England Journal of Medicine last week, shows the drug shortens time to recovery by about four days. Effects on mortality are still unclear. 

A peer reviewed study published last month in The Lancet showed no statistically significant benefit, though the company and investigators involved said it was statistically underpowered. Trials, including in the UK, are continuing.

Gilead, which is providing the drug free of charge as part of its efforts to donate 1.5m vials, said it would continue to work closely with the UK government to enable broader access to patients across the UK. New York-listed shares gained 1.3 per cent in pre-market trade.

I remember this one being mentioned back in February / March as it had been used for some Ebola outbreak? I think Remdesivir is effective in some cases where the patient is already very sick and on a ventilator …. I don't think using this drug is part of preventive healthcare, therefore I'm not sure this is really going to save us getting this virus, and getting back to watching football unfortunately.

17 hours ago, ironfist said:

The AZ vaccine sounds like a game changer. First doses due in September. Health care workers and most vulnerable will get it first, then rolled out to the rest of the population. If that comes then Football as we know it could be back by Christmas

Even the most optimistic person wouldn’t suggest that surely.  It would mean just under a million daily vaccinations. I cannot see this UK government being able to organise that. Our best bet will be to reduce to a few cases and hope we can stay on top of any flares.

12 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I remember this one being mentioned back in February / March as it had been used for some Ebola outbreak? I think Remdesivir is effective in some cases where the patient is already very sick and on a ventilator …. I don't think using this drug is part of preventive healthcare, therefore I'm not sure this is really going to save us getting this virus, and getting back to watching football unfortunately.

I think if you have test and protect plus a treatment for severe cases you can open more safely 

6 hours ago, javeajag said:

some optimistic news

Prof Karl Sikora

Really encouraging to read Dr María Neira, the WHO Director for Public Health, say their models are showing a second wave being increasingly ruled out.

Caution required, but she thinks that the virus will have a hard time surviving.

You better you bet it is. Well at least in my generation.

Breaking: @JamTarts reconstruction proposals are for 14-14-14 or 14-14-16 & will be discussed by @spfl board tomo. Reconstruction into 3 leagues for 2 seasons with a vote to decide whether to go back to 4 leagues in 2022.  Ann Budge says it’s now about Scottish football surviving

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

Breaking: @JamTarts reconstruction proposals are for 14-14-14 or 14-14-16 & will be discussed by @spfl board tomo. Reconstruction into 3 leagues for 2 seasons with a vote to decide whether to go back to 4 leagues in 2022.  Ann Budge says it’s now about Scottish football surviving

No chance of 14-14-16 due to League 2 clubs wanting to lock out lowland/Highland teams for some reason. If it goes ahead which i doubt it will then i think it will be 14-14-14

7 hours ago, javeajag said:

some optimistic news

Prof Karl Sikora

It’s kind of what I have been wondering. As various countries have relaxed lockdown, I don’t think there have been many instances of new spikes. 

Edited by Lenziejag

4 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

It’s kind of what I have been wondering. As various countries have relaxed lockdown, I don’t think there have been many instances of new spikes. 

That’s definitely the case over here, if anything it’s continued to shrink faster since we opened most things up.

Our border was due to be closed to all non Nordic countries till August 25th, but we are now looking at opening Schengen countries in a few weeks time.