What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

2 hours ago, policemans whistle said:

Doncaster has always been in favour of putting the premier clubs first. His idea is to put money at the top of a hill and the first one up gets it. Once asked him about distribution of funds and in so many words, that was his answer.

I can imagine Doncaster suggesting giving all the funding to the ugly sisters to enhance their chances in Europe. If they're more successful then up goes the co-efficient and the SPFL clubs reap the rewards. 

Story on BBC about Doncaster speaking to the Premier League teams about trying to find a consensus on reconstruction, specifically a 14 team Premier League for around 5 seasons. 

I would suggest that Sky may have had a hand in this and will want the Edinburgh derbies for their coverage. 

This will probably mean a reprieve for us if two go up from the championship and there is no relegation. 

If the SPFL are driving the reconstruction then you can guarantee the outcome will be what they want it to be. By hook or by crook. 

Edited to add: the money being gifted to the SPFL looks like being spread evenly between all member clubs, which is a bit ridiculous really. 

Edited by redandyellowallover

10 minutes ago, redandyellowallover said:

Story on BBC about Doncaster speaking to the Premier League teams about trying to find a consensus on reconstruction, specifically a 14 team Premier League for around 5 seasons. 

I would suggest that Sky may have had a hand in this and will want the Edinburgh derbies for their coverage. 

This will probably mean a reprieve for us if two go up from the championship and there is no relegation. 

If the SPFL are driving the reconstruction then you can guarantee the outcome will be what they want it to be. By hook or by crook. 

Edited to add: the money being gifted to the SPFL looks like being spread evenly between all member clubs, which is a bit ridiculous really. 

Sky have probs went, we can have the old firm, edinburgh derby, new firm, highland derby, only thing they are missing is the dundee derby so win win for them

21 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

According to Jane Lewis on the BBC website, the philanthropist's donation is £2m and would be split equally between all 42 league clubs.

Wouldn’t it be nice if the Clubs with cash reserves (eg Celtic) were to donate their share to lower league clubs where an additional few £k might be the difference between them being able to start the season or not?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Sky have probs went, we can have the old firm, edinburgh derby, new firm, highland derby, only thing they are missing is the dundee derby so win win for them

Always thought their aim, to keep TV happy, was to have a league filled with Derbies. They have OF, Highland and Lanarkshire and will want to keep the Edinburgh and add the Dundee one to that list.

Add Aberdeen to the 10 teams above and I doubt they'd care less about the one other 'make up the numbers' team in their league of dreams.

Easy to see why they only want one team down each season.

Prepared to sell the wishes of the majority (players and fans), down the river for a small pot of gold.

8 minutes ago, sandy said:

Wouldn’t it be nice if the Clubs with cash reserves (eg Celtic) were to donate their share to lower league clubs where an additional few £k might be the difference between them being able to start the season or not?

The 4 clubs in Germany, who played in the champions league this season, have donated 20million euros to help the teams in the top 2 German leagues. I will not hold my breath waiting on any of our bigger clubs donating anything.

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

According to Jane Lewis on the BBC website, the philanthropist's donation is £2m and would be split equally between all 42 league clubs.

I suppose we're as near as damn it in the middle of the rankings, so we'd likely have been receiving something similar if it was being dished out on a sliding scale. Much as I like the idea of the ugly sisters not for once getting any lion's share, it does mean Brechin City have once again done kinda well for coming in 42nd. The one club that was in last place in their league that's come out laughing.

Just now, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I suppose we're as near as damn it in the middle of the rankings, so we'd likely have been receiving something similar if it was being dished out on a sliding scale. Much as I like the idea of the ugly sisters not for once getting any lion's share, it does mean Brechin City have once again done kinda well for coming in 42nd. The one club that was in last place in their league that's come out laughing.

That’s because they hedged their bets on a favourable outcome. 

3 hours ago, redandyellowallover said:

Totally preposterous. I see it was originally mooted as for 'lower league' clubs which miraculously changed to all 42 as soon as Doncaster got involved.

1 hour ago, sandy said:

Nah. They need it to pay the money for all their fines due to their "wonderful" fans banners, songs, flares etc.

Why would somebody donating money ever want Celtic, Rangers etc. to take an equal share? Rangers have just spent 3m on Hagi but there you go have an extra 50,000 of another millionaires money..utterly ridiculous. Why would this person even want to make their donation now! Its a drop in the ocean for them but could be the difference between survival or not for a lower league club.Their greed is shameless.

This money should have been split between the lower league clubs as an emergency fund for those clubs in desperate need- on a means tested basis. Initially the money was meant for the lower leagues so why this change. No need for the SPFL to even be involved- money could be donated to clubs directly that needed it through a seperate fund. Think this again raises questions, along with the SPFLs sudden push for a 14 team league. Was this money actually no strings attached as Anne Budge insisted? Or did the SPFL possibly 'suggest' split it with the top flight too and we can maybe help you out with a 14 team league...

Edited by Jag36

11 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

The 4 clubs in Germany, who played in the champions league this season, have donated 20million euros to help the teams in the top 2 German leagues. I will not hold my breath waiting on any of our bigger clubs donating anything.

Mind you it would be funny [IMO] if Sellik donated to a Rangers survival fund!!

I wonder would that heal any of the bad feeling, or just make it worse?

As reconstruction still appears to have a life and I accept  this is very negative but is the following a possible outcome:

1. 14 team SPL - so Hearts saved and ICT promoted as well (with Dundee Utd) 

2. 10 team leagues in Championship and Leagues 1 & 2 with relegation to go ahead as normal - so Partick & Stranraer relegated (and Raith, Falkirk & East Fife promoted to Championship) 

3. Brora & Kelty promoted to blance the numbers 

I just feel that we are not the SPFL's (in particular McLennan's) favourite club at the moment. Though the above outcome would result in more unnecessary ffiction/headlines as it would represent blatent victimisation and surely result in legal action. 

Surely this associate of Ann Budge isn’t going to hand over the money to those tossers in the SPFL unless Hearts retain premier status.

Which gives us hope of avoiding a ridiculous relegation plus some money to help us along.

Hold your breath but could this be good news at last?

14 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Totally agree there's no chance of either of the filth coughing up 4 million quid each to support lower level football in Scotland - despite one of them being in the same priveledged continual European competition qualification as the German teams - 30 odd million in the biscuit tins and keeping the lot to themselves. 

Also agree with jag36 - 42 way equal split of 2 million is just preposterous - largest share should go to lower level clubs to keep them alive rather than being a drop in the ocean of a large club - 50k to Forfar will be welcomed with open arms but 100k would do so much more for a small community club like them 

Edited by gianlucatoni
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Jag36 said:

Why would somebody donating money ever want Celtic, Rangers etc. to take an equal share? Rangers have just spent 3m on Hagi but there you go have an extra 50,000 of another millionaires money..utterly ridiculous. Why would this person even want to make their donation now! Its a drop in the ocean for them but could be the difference between survival or not for a lower league club.Their greed is shameless.

This money should have been split between the lower league clubs as an emergency fund for those clubs in desperate need- on a means tested basis. Initially the money was meant for the lower leagues so why this change. No need for the SPFL to even be involved- money could be donated to clubs directly that needed it through a seperate fund. Think this again raises questions, along with the SPFLs sudden push for a 14 team league. Was this money actually no strings attached as Anne Budge insisted? Or did the SPFL possibly 'suggest' split it with the top flight too and we can maybe help you out with a 14 team league...

This and

7 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

Totally agree there's no chance of either of the filth coughing up 4 million quid each to support lower level football in Scotland - despite one of them being in the same priveledged continual European competition qualification as the German teams - 30 odd million in the biscuit tins and keeping the lot to themselves. 

Also agree with jag36 - 42 way equal split of 2 million is just preposterous - largest share should go to lower level clubs to keep them alive rather than being a drop in the ocean of a large club - 50k to Forfar will be welcomed with open arms but 100k would do so much more for a small community club like them 

this.

9 hours ago, exiledjag said:

As reconstruction still appears to have a life and I accept  this is very negative but is the following a possible outcome:

1. 14 team SPL - so Hearts saved and ICT promoted as well (with Dundee Utd) 

2. 10 team leagues in Championship and Leagues 1 & 2 with relegation to go ahead as normal - so Partick & Stranraer relegated (and Raith, Falkirk & East Fife promoted to Championship) 

3. Brora & Kelty promoted to blance the numbers 

I just feel that we are not the SPFL's (in particular McLennan's) favourite club at the moment. Though the above outcome would result in more unnecessary ffiction/headlines as it would represent blatent victimisation and surely result in legal action. 

I often wonder why it is that when league reconstruction comes around, the team that's had a turd of a season and came in dead fecking last is thrown a lifeline over a team in the league below that has put in a challenge at the top. With Hearts, I guess there are ... considerations beyond sport. :secret:

On 6/3/2020 at 1:53 PM, policemans whistle said:

Doncaster has always been in favour of putting the premier clubs first. His idea is to put money at the top of a hill and the first one up gets it. Once asked him about distribution of funds and in so many words, that was his answer.

We keep hearing that the SPFL is a club run organisation.

This chancer Doncaster is clearly not up to the job- surely it within the power of the clubs to have him removed from his post. Or is there some sub -clause in Article 23 page 743  which prevents that??   

52 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Latest proposal. Rangers want old firm B teams, with Kelty and Brora to make up leagues of 14,14 and 18. Both old firm teams would pay £125,000 joining fee. With further payments over the next 3 seasons. The money would go to 3rd tier clubs.

Full story here.  

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-spfl-reconstruction-plan-celtic-22146304.amp

Personally would rather relegation/expulsion if it meant the diluted versions of OF did not darken the doors of the lower leagues especially if bribing their way into it.

56 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Latest proposal. Rangers want old firm B teams, with Kelty and Brora to make up leagues of 14,14 and 18. Both old firm teams would pay £125,000 joining fee. With further payments over the next 3 seasons. The money would go to 3rd tier clubs.

Actually on paper this sounds a good idea. Much as I dislike the OF the reality is their cash could help the lower leagues in particular. If it keeps us in the championship fair enough.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

It stinks. The Old Firm using a crisis situation to force through something only they want and something that will only benefit them.

It's clear from recent Challenge Cup tournaments that lower leagues don't want them. It's bad enough putting up with their bigoted bile now, we don't need it doubled.

We don't need another 4 teams at this level. We need restructuring for the benefit of all. Long term thinking for the betterment of Scottish football as a whole. I'm fear that this will drive more fans away.

I, too, would rather play in League 1 next season rather than see this happen.

• Like 2