Jump to content

West Ender

What if they shut down the season?

Recommended Posts

It's an excellent statement and well timed again for Sportsound

Edited by allyo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

As i have said before with a 14,10,10,10 set up nobody loses out. If this does not go through every team is voting in self interest, surprise, surprise. If that is the case we must take the same attitude and do whatever is best for Partick Thistle, no matter how it affects other teams.

Wasn't a fan of court action at first but think clubs have been given every opportunity now to do the right thing( with very little impact to themselves, in fact many would probably benefit) but haven't. They have also been given a significant donation and still do nothing to give anything back. Tired of the 'self interest' arguement too..as if somehow its not quite right but thats just the way it is..This is more than self interest- its actively making decisions to damage other clubs. Would be totally in favour of dragging this through the courts now!

Edited by Jag36
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If reconstruction is rejected l fervently hope Hearts win their legal case  & that clubs who rejected it suffer irreparable financial 

hardship. I for one will not shed any tears if they  go under.  PTFC have always tried to do what is best for Scottish football as a whole but Scottish football has put the boot into PTFC at every opportunity they have had.. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cfirejkl said:

(We believe it is time for clubs to show solidarity with us as we arbitrarily and disproportionately bear the brunt of the damage being done to our game due to circumstances that are no-one’s fault.

“Our plea is simple: choose to do no harm.”)

Today’s Board Statement.   Probably On deaf ears, but at least it is announced.

 

 

Excellent statement. Hopefully it wont fall on deaf ears but it probably will knowing the immorality of most of the SPFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Excellent statement. Hopefully it wont fall on deaf ears but it probably will knowing the immorality of most of the SPFL.

It was a good statement, unfortunately I don’t think it will make any difference at all , the SPFL are sitting on a time bomb now as it looks like Hearts will go to court over this and possibly delaying the start of the season in the Premier League.

The SPFL governance is absolutely shocking with seemingly no interest in the other Leagues .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, One t in Scotland said:

Everybody's welcome to their opinion - but you do realise that the majority of the glorified social clubs which make up that league appear to be happy not to play football leaving PTFC nowhere to play? Just checking.

It’s just that I have no faith in the SPFL Clubs to do the right thing for the Jags, GRE; the majority of them are selfish and the SPFL ‘leadership’ team are as weak as an 18 year old ferret on its last legs. 
 

I’d love to see the Jags back playing, but the whole league-ending and reconstruction fiasco does not fill me with any confidence. Unless things take a positive turn on Monday, I fear the glorious game will be dead in Scotland.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said I would have preferred the football rather than the legal option. However if club chairman cannot support this option where there are no losers then their refusal to vote yes can only be described as spiteful, malicious and vindictive!

There is no such thing as the perfect reconstruction model but the current proposal offers sufficient scope for compromise! 

If as seems likely the proposal is rejected I would ask - why leave it all up to Hearts acting together with Hearts in a collective legal action will surely be more effective! 

Let's go for it and cause maximum damaged ans embarrassment! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

As others have said I would have preferred the football rather than the legal option. However if club chairman cannot support this option where there are no losers then their refusal to vote yes can only be described as spiteful, malicious and vindictive!

There is no such thing as the perfect reconstruction model but the current proposal offers sufficient scope for compromise! 

If as seems likely the proposal is rejected I would ask - why leave it all up to Hearts acting together with Hearts in a collective legal action will surely be more effective! 

Let's go for it and cause maximum damaged ans embarrassment! 

Well said. I agree 100% with your post . I would rather see Scottish football go down the tube rather than selfish self serving clubs continuing . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A statement from Clyde which seems to indicate they are suffering financially. The part about teams indicating they would wish to mothball for the season is concerning, especially if they are in League 1.

“There is a possibility that we won’t be able to enter the club into competitive football next season, depending on the start date. There are clubs who have stated publicly, and privately, that given certain circumstances, their preference would be to ‘mothball’ for a season.

“That situation would arise if clubs had to put their players and staff through costly testing protocols, pay their players and staff after the removal of the furlough scheme and play their matches behind closed doors. In that scenario, with no income coming in, ‘mothballing’ is something we can’t discount, but we are determined to play if at all possible.”

https://www.clydefc.co.uk/news/2020/06/13/6443/#.XuUza6nYpD8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

A statement from Clyde which seems to indicate they are suffering financially. The part about teams indicating they would wish to mothball for the season is concerning, especially if they are in League 1.

“There is a possibility that we won’t be able to enter the club into competitive football next season, depending on the start date. There are clubs who have stated publicly, and privately, that given certain circumstances, their preference would be to ‘mothball’ for a season.

“That situation would arise if clubs had to put their players and staff through costly testing protocols, pay their players and staff after the removal of the furlough scheme and play their matches behind closed doors. In that scenario, with no income coming in, ‘mothballing’ is something we can’t discount, but we are determined to play if at all possible.”

https://www.clydefc.co.uk/news/2020/06/13/6443/#.XuUza6nYpD8

Oh. What a shame.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

A statement from Clyde which seems to indicate they are suffering financially. The part about teams indicating they would wish to mothball for the season is concerning, especially if they are in League 1.

“There is a possibility that we won’t be able to enter the club into competitive football next season, depending on the start date. There are clubs who have stated publicly, and privately, that given certain circumstances, their preference would be to ‘mothball’ for a season.

“That situation would arise if clubs had to put their players and staff through costly testing protocols, pay their players and staff after the removal of the furlough scheme and play their matches behind closed doors. In that scenario, with no income coming in, ‘mothballing’ is something we can’t discount, but we are determined to play if at all possible.”

https://www.clydefc.co.uk/news/2020/06/13/6443/#.XuUza6nYpD8

This still doesn't stop them supporting reconstruction! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

A statement from Clyde which seems to indicate they are suffering financially. The part about teams indicating they would wish to mothball for the season is concerning, especially if they are in League 1.

“There is a possibility that we won’t be able to enter the club into competitive football next season, depending on the start date. There are clubs who have stated publicly, and privately, that given certain circumstances, their preference would be to ‘mothball’ for a season.

“That situation would arise if clubs had to put their players and staff through costly testing protocols, pay their players and staff after the removal of the furlough scheme and play their matches behind closed doors. In that scenario, with no income coming in, ‘mothballing’ is something we can’t discount, but we are determined to play if at all possible.”

https://www.clydefc.co.uk/news/2020/06/13/6443/#.XuUza6nYpD8

Good. Liquidate them. Irrelevant little football club who wouldn’t be missed if they went bust. And fingers crossed others go the same way. F**k ‘em!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big Col said:

Good. Liquidate them. Irrelevant little football club who wouldn’t be missed if they went bust. And fingers crossed others go the same way. F**k ‘em!

What a helpful contribution at this time, if I was in charge of casting Clyde's vote and was not sure which way to vote you'd have made the decision for me. As for irrelevant little club, who last won the Scottish Cup, us or them? Who last beat Celtic, us or them? We are quickly becoming irrelevant and don't even have a great history to look back on. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As auld Fergus McCann had said there's at least 8 - 12 teams should never be in the professional league. How true wee man. Scotland has truly only a maximum of 24 teams  32 at a stretch, the rest are only sand dancers and comic singers dragging the game down. Solution. Closed shop with 2 leagues of 12 /16. The rest can improve the player pool in the junior ranks...But this is only a pipe dream. Lets just hope they all go to the wall first so nobody is forced to make a real decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, One t in Scotland said:

Everybody's welcome to their opinion - but you do realise that the majority of the glorified social clubs which make up that league appear to be happy not to play football leaving PTFC nowhere to play? Just checking.

I have been wondering for a while - has it always been the case that each division can decide when to start and how many games to play in any particular season ?

If that is the case how could all the other clubs have decided that the championship finished early ?

Heres me thinking that when the SPL and the SFL merged that there was only one body. It seems that without any vote we have now split into at least 3 bodies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If all those "diddy clubs" that people seem so keen to see go belly up do, indeed do that, who would Thistle be left to play?  As I said in another thread, if we don't remain in the Championship then Thistle (and possibly Falkirk) could find themselves members of a division with too few clubs (due to mothballs or worse) to make it viable.  If that happens would the SPFL accommodate us in an expanded Championship?  Don't think so. We could find ourselves in mothballs by default despite the Board's intention to play on behind closed doors. The fact is that there will be teams well above our pay grade that consider Thistle a diddy team that no-one will miss. It's all relative. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a well worded statement, but it’s more a plea, almost a plea of desperation, and that worry’s me. I think the club realizes there is a high chance of no football for a year, I don’t know if we could recover from that.

We have a lot on here talking about irrelevant clubs, we are one of them now. In the 3rd tier of Scottish football, with no significant fan base or financial clout behind us. 

It is clear that appealing to the better nature of clubs chairman doesn’t work, it’s all about cash. So impact or threaten to impact the cash flow, if we really want to challenge this the only option left is to join Hearts and state that if it doesn’t go through we will go to court to appeal it, in turn delaying the start to the season and cash to clubs. If we aren’t willing to do that then it’s just another statement with no substance. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, a f kincaid said:

If all those "diddy clubs" that people seem so keen to see go belly up do, indeed do that, who would Thistle be left to play?  As I said in another thread, if we don't remain in the Championship then Thistle (and possibly Falkirk) could find themselves members of a division with too few clubs (due to mothballs or worse) to make it viable.  If that happens would the SPFL accommodate us in an expanded Championship?  Don't think so. We could find ourselves in mothballs by default despite the Board's intention to play on behind closed doors. The fact is that there will be teams well above our pay grade that consider Thistle a diddy team that no-one will miss. It's all relative. 

If we are forced to mothball we will absolutely have a solid legal case to pursue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, a f kincaid said:

If all those "diddy clubs" that people seem so keen to see go belly up do, indeed do that, who would Thistle be left to play?  As I said in another thread, if we don't remain in the Championship then Thistle (and possibly Falkirk) could find themselves members of a division with too few clubs (due to mothballs or worse) to make it viable.  If that happens would the SPFL accommodate us in an expanded Championship?  Don't think so. We could find ourselves in mothballs by default despite the Board's intention to play on behind closed doors. The fact is that there will be teams well above our pay grade that consider Thistle a diddy team that no-one will miss. It's all relative. 

The only teams that could consider PTFC a Diddy team could be Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibs & Hearts and the latter two have had their share of the Championship experience in recent years. With the exception of Dundee Utd  who have had a more illustrious history since the 1980s (but last 3 years in Championship) the rest are not that far ahead of us.  Most of the rest are only ahead of us because they have had a wealthy  or succession of wealthy sponsors - notably Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Dundee, St Johnstone, Ross County, Livingston. & Dundee Utd. The latter's recent promotion is due to their current wealthy sponsor "pouring money into the club" !  St Mirren are still living off the £16m they got for selling Love Street. When that goes so will St Mirren. 

When we were in the SPL our average crowd placed us on a par or slightly adrift of most of the above. What we lacked, but which most of our peers had, was a wealthy sponsor prepared to put money directly into the first team playing squad. This is not a criticism of Colin Weir. 

My question would be 'does Financial Fair Play apply to the SPL. 

How, for example, can Kilmarnock show in their accounts (2/3 years ago) thaf they made a £16 K profit with a footnote highlighting they also owed a Director £800000 - their latest wealthy benefactor! I am sure this money enabled them to appoint Steve Clarke and sign players that they wouldn't have been able to afford if relying on their gate and commercial revenues! 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Giving his opinion a recent statement by Jim McInally, Peterhead Manager made it clear that the problem for lower league clubs was the feeling that there was no real (sincere) desire for reconstruction among 'top flight' clubs. 

If this is true, and evidence suggests it is accurate, then as we have known all along the promise in April of 'meaningful talks' (which implied leading to a successful outcome)  was just a sham! 

Today's news that the SPFL intend to hold a formal vote on reconstruction even if informal feedback indicates the current proposal will not attract sufficient support to go through  strikes me as being tactical! 

In holding such a vote the SPFL have an eye to subsequent  legal proceedings and will be trying to put themselves in the best possible position by  demonstrating they did everything they could to deliver reconstruction and meet their duty of care responsibilities. 

Really quite fraudulent behaviour! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always accepting that the term "diddy team" is wholly subjective, it should be pointed out that one of the aggrieved clubs involved in all this is generally accepted to not be a "diddy team". 

I'm not quite at the grabbing at straws stage but as near as damn it. Slight encouragement comes from the fact that any legal action Hearts take will impact in footballing terms on the top division only as we, regardless of what division we end up in, will still be in the enforced closed season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there are teams willing and able to play then they have to be accommodated. If not it is a clear restriction of trade 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Always accepting that the term "diddy team" is wholly subjective, it should be pointed out that one of the aggrieved clubs involved in all this is generally accepted to not be a "diddy team". 

I'm not quite at the grabbing at straws stage but as near as damn it. Slight encouragement comes from the fact that any legal action Hearts take will impact in footballing terms on the top division only as we, regardless of what division we end up in, will still be in the enforced closed season. 

Legal action taken by Hearts will be against the SPFL and that's why we and I think Stranraer have to join them in a collective legal approach. As Doncaster said and dare I quote him, "any action against the SPFL is against all its members" ! Any financial compensation won by Hearts will have to be paid by member clubs as the SPFL does not hold funds! Therefore legal action will potentially impact on all clubs and especially the SPL & Championship as a legal action will almost certainly include an injunction ipreventing the publication of fixtures and playing of games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Legal action taken by Hearts will be against the SPFL and that's why we and I think Stranraer have to join them in a collective legal approach. As Doncaster said and dare I quote him, "any action against the SPFL is against all its members" ! Any financial compensation won by Hearts will have to be paid by member clubs as the SPFL does not hold funds! Therefore legal action will potentially impact on all clubs and especially the SPL & Championship as a legal action will almost certainly include an injunction ipreventing the publication of fixtures and playing of games. 

And if we don't get involved then Hearts compo will also come from our pockets too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I have been wondering for a while - has it always been the case that each division can decide when to start and how many games to play in any particular season ?

If that is the case how could all the other clubs have decided that the championship finished early ?

Very good point. Answer no doubt the standard 'but the clubs are the SPFL' blah whenever a tough question is posed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×