What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

5 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

From August they need to make some contribution towards furlough costs - I think 20%

NI and pension in August

10% plus NI and pension in September

20% plus NI and pension in October

no word as to what happens after that yet

54 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

6 clubs “I know of” in league 1 would rather mothball

Montrose, East Fife, Dumbarton, Peterhead, Forfar and Clyde. They have all stated it’s no financially viable to play behind closed doors. 

So if these clubs can't/won't play then what twist is next.....  a combined League 1 + 2 or an expanded Championship to accommodate the few teams who can / want to play...….. or do we and say Falkirk just sit it out and run the risk of dying....   I think if clubs can't play then sod them, they should sort the leagues out to accommodate the ones than can.   Of course common sense and doing the right thing might not come into it but i'm genuinely interested to see how they (the clubs) get out of this one!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Montrose, East Fife, Dumbarton, Peterhead, Forfar and Clyde. They have all stated it’s no financially viable to play behind closed doors. 

Start the season with 4 clubs. Play each other 8 times from October for a 24 game season. The 6 above are automatically relegated and there are 6 promotion spots available from League 2 at end of season. 

We then have a champion and the remaining 3 clubs go into a playoff.

59 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

These clubs should then be demoted to league 2 if they are not already there. Why should other clubs suffer because they are Choosing not to play. The precedent has been set already that clubs can be demoted therefore a possible threat of demotion might make these teams think a bit more about mothballing

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

These clubs should then be demoted to league 2 if they are not already there. Why should other clubs suffer because they are Choosing not to play. The precedent has been set already that clubs can be demoted therefore a possible threat of demotion might make these teams think a bit more about mothballing

They should be kicked out of the league! If a fixture list comes out that they don't want to fulfill then they should be expelled. We may well end up with three divisions after all. Could be some turkeys have voted for Yule not realising what it was. :thinking:

4 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

From August they need to make some contribution towards furlough costs - I think 20%

Think when it hits Oct , the furlough scheme is down to 60% of your normal salary with the employer expected to pay NI and pension contributions as well as make up the 40% of the employee’s salary.

Not just for the football world, this is going to be a disaster for business especially if there is no income coming in .

My main bone of contention is that we are getting led by Doncaster and Co under the auspices of the SPFL who have a duty of care for all the 42 clubs not just the Premier League.

As far as we know publicly the bottom 2 divisions have no idea when they can restart the new season but the governing body should be leading on this with a contingency plan to safeguard clubs from going out of business.

In these extraordinary times , IMO Doncaster should have been organising an EGM outlining what the plan should be , whether that’s a redistribution of the prize money, 85% for 12 teams in the Premier League and 15% for the other 30 teams which really is a nonsense.

Maybe Doncaster could donate some of his 300k salary to help clubs survive.

This is a disaster waiting to happen and I hope Hearts take this incompetent organisation all the way and they get the compensation that they deserve as well as PTFC and Stranraer.

I agree with the board that they would rather spend the money on players, than a uncertain legal case. Lets make sure we sign good enough players to get promoted and get our own back on some of the teams who have voted against any reconstruction that would not have harmed any club. We should do our talking on the park, which is after all where football matters should be resolved.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I agree with the board that they would rather spend the money on players, than a uncertain legal case. Lets make sure we sign good enough players to get promoted and get our own back on some of the teams who have voted against any reconstruction that would not have harmed any club. We should do our talking on the park, which is after all where football matters should be resolved.

I think the issue is whether we will need any players if we don’t have a league to play in 

12 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

It does beg the question on which is the most likely to have success .... a promotion campaign or a legal case. 

3 hours ago, jaf said:

Not a lawyer, but happy to point one thing out that I believe is relevant.

SPFL is a limited company. It has a 'burst' Balance Sheet, ie an excess of liabilities over assets.

Any successful legal action against the SPFL could see the SPFL company go burst but not necessarily the member clubs. As shareholders they have no duty to bail out the company.

So even if a court case is won this jubilation of the catastrophic consequences it will bring on other clubs is probably misplaced. As is the hope that it will lead to vast amounts of cash being paid.

Much easier for the member clubs to let SPFL Ltd to go into liquidation, and the members start again. Something which there is precedent for in a sporting setting. I believe.

So Hearts, even if they win their case, may end up with a hollow victory, be awarded compensation and costs, and have neither ever paid to them.

Very good point and not one I had thought of. Hearts could easily win and get nothing. Any litigation would be against the SPFL who as you say have no assets worth anything. The clubs are essentially shareholders who could just let the SPFL die and resurrect a new governing body.

Assuming this gets rid of Doncaster then perhaps it is a price worth paying

13 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

It does beg the question on which is the most likely to have success .... a promotion campaign or a legal case. 

If their is a league for us to play in , it is up to our manager to make sure promotion is the best way to get success. Btw i think i am right in saying you didn't want him as manager. Lets hope he proves you wrong.

18 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I think the issue is whether we will need any players if we don’t have a league to play in 

If their is no league for us to play in we might change our mind about legal action. Is this what is meant by they might pursue legal action if circumstances change ?

3 hours ago, jaf said:

Not a lawyer, but happy to point one thing out that I believe is relevant.

SPFL is a limited company. It has a 'burst' Balance Sheet, ie an excess of liabilities over assets.

Any successful legal action against the SPFL could see the SPFL company go burst but not necessarily the member clubs. As shareholders they have no duty to bail out the company.

So even if a court case is won this jubilation of the catastrophic consequences it will bring on other clubs is probably misplaced. As is the hope that it will lead to vast amounts of cash being paid.

Much easier for the member clubs to let SPFL Ltd to go into liquidation, and the members start again. Something which there is precedent for in a sporting setting. I believe.

So Hearts, even if they win their case, may end up with a hollow victory, be awarded compensation and costs, and have neither ever paid to them.

Hearts will be aware that the first payment of TV money will arrive in August. I'm sure they will seek an injunction to stop this money being paid to the clubs until their case is resolved. Hearts will get their money and the clubs will suffer.

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

Hibs just put out a statement indicating revenue forecast to be down 50% and cuts to come 

I feel sorry for anybody losing their job. But on the other hand, teams voting to relegate clubs, have gave no thought/ don't care how it will affect the relegated teams.

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Think when it hits Oct , the furlough scheme is down to 60% of your normal salary with the employer expected to pay NI and pension contributions as well as make up the 40% of the employee’s salary.

Not just for the football world, this is going to be a disaster for business especially if there is no income coming in .

Which looks more likely to impact Scottish businesses and football way more severe than England with them opening faster and Premiership starting again at weekend

4 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Which looks more likely to impact Scottish businesses and football way more severe than England with them opening faster and Premiership starting again at weekend

Hi Norge hope you and yours are well. The premier league starts on Wednesday in England.

35 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Hearts will be aware that the first payment of TV money will arrive in August. I'm sure they will seek an injunction to stop this money being paid to the clubs until their case is resolved. Hearts will get their money and the clubs will suffer.

Hearts would surely only rank alongside all other creditors? 
the  money you speak of  is only an asset if spfl games are played. 
thirdly the timing of the case is outwith hearts control.