What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

2 minutes ago, allyo said:

Legal challenge could,  as I see it, only have resulted in a re-run of the vote. In the end though, there's a reason why the prpposal passed. It took a negative situation and it lumped all the burden on to a small number of clubs.  I's weakness in terms of fairness was its strength in terms of votes. I see no reason why a second vote would be any different, especially having pissed off the entire league.

If Thistle have any hope of avoiding relegation (who knows) then it will only be through positive engagement with other clubs. It might not work, but I think it's the best chance.

If we just wanted to wreck others out if spite and achieve nothing for ourselves then yes, legal action would probably have been the way to go.

Well Ayr united have blown the be nice idea out the water..shafted..

7 minutes ago, Whitelees jag said:

Dundee and Ayr United statements would make you sick. finished with this corrupt shambles of a league.

These clubs were all dying to vote yes. It suits them. All this screaming about undue pressure and sporting fairness, a total smokescreen. They couldn't care less about unfair relegation as long as it's not them.

That's why a re-run would be a pointless exercise.

Edited by allyo

20 hours ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

Does it matter? Does it matter if we get relegated? If Hearts get relegated? Does it f uck.

I’m done. I love Thistle, but what’s the point?!? We’ve all got better things to do that support this farce. If this goes through, in any way, I’m out. I’ll look out for the scores, but not supporting it. Our participation, at any level, perpetuates it, so f uck that. Cheerio. Sooner watch the Juniors.

This.

33 minutes ago, Whitelees jag said:

Dundee and Ayr United statements would make you sick. finished with this corrupt shambles of a league.

Ayr united isn't a statement but an interview there chairman has done with the local paper. 

his interview here

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/spfl-reconstruction-14-team-premiership-21874114.amp

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

Why pay for initial legal advice (which wouldn’t be cheap) from two lawyers, then not follow it through because it will cost the same clubs that voted to shaft us financially money?

Unless the club have been told we won’t be relegated we have been shown to be toothless again.

The statement explains why not.

I think it is an excellent statement - dignified and principled - we instantly lose the moral high ground if we take action which results in other clubs suffering additional financial hardship. Two wrongs don't make a right.

It also maximises the chances of those tasked with next steps being motivated to look favourably on us.

However beyond the ethics and sporting integrity issue, it's all a bit academic - I very much doubt we'll have games to go to until 2021. This pandemic is not going away any time soon.

Not really sure what the legal case here is anyway. Once a NO vote was submitted it could be retaracted and changed within the 28 days. So whether the SPFL recieved it or not probably in legal terms is irrelevant. No doubt the whole process was dodgy and there were most likely dodgy dealings going on in the background- but this would have to proven as 'illegal' rather than just a form of lobbying. No doubt the process was heavily weighted in favour of a Yes vote- but the majority of clubs agreed to this- so again not sure where the legal point would be. No doubt its incredibly unfair but would a long legal case get the desired outcome- seems unlikely

51 minutes ago, allyo said:

Legal challenge could,  as I see it, only have resulted in a re-run of the vote. In the end though, there's a reason why the proposal passed. It took a negative situation and it lumped all the burden on to a small number of clubs.  Its weakness in terms of fairness was its strength in terms of votes. That's completely wrong but it's not corrupt.

I see no reason why a second vote would be any different, especially having pissed off the entire league.

If Thistle have any hope of avoiding relegation (who knows) then it will only be through positive engagement with other clubs. It might not work, but I think it's the only chance.

If we just wanted to wreck others out of spite and achieve nothing for ourselves then yes, legal action would probably have been the way to go.

Yes.  Absolutely this. 

7 minutes ago, elevenone said:

He takes a long walk around the houses until he gets to the point that he doesn't want a fourteen team league because he doesn't want Inverness promoted over Ayr.

I'd have a lot more respect for these punters if they were just honest about their self-interest.

4 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

He takes a long walk around the houses until he gets to the point that he doesn't want a fourteen team league because he doesn't want Inverness promoted over Ayr.

I'd have a lot more respect for these punters if they were just honest about their self-interest.

They are supposed to be  "The Honest Men"...........

2 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

Wow , he finds it grossly unfair that Inverness go up and not Ayr , but it’s fair to relegate our team who are 2 points behind with a game in hand

What a prick he is 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hankey said:

Nothing sums up Thistle more than wanting the moral high ground self righteous cup rather than the actual cup or a higher league of football.

Beautifully put, and absolutely correct. Said as much a few months ago on here, saying that we can be a truly culture-less club who would rather virtual signal about not being the Old Firm than actually be successful (the whole "I'd rather be a League 2 club than anything like the 'ugly sisters'" trope). Could have seen this outcome from a mile away.  

9 minutes ago, fenski said:

I think it is an excellent statement - dignified and principled - we instantly lose the moral high ground if we take action which results in other clubs suffering additional financial hardship. Two wrongs don't make a right.

It also maximises the chances of those tasked with next steps being motivated to look favourably on us.

However beyond the ethics and sporting integrity issue, it's all a bit academic - I very much doubt we'll have games to go to until 2021. This pandemic is not going away any time soon.

Not cutting much ice with Ayr. So much for being nice and getting teams onside. Cant see 1st division teams voting for it either..tho i agree football wont be played for a long time.

Using the same logic used elsewhere Lachlan Cameron yer team are so furking fantastic they couldn't even muster 3rd place in a sh!t Champsionship in Scotland and would have been steamrollered in the Play-Offs.

That's why Ayr, Ayr, fcuk yer Ayr wouldn't go up and ICT would.

Is that plain enough for you!

:ph34r:

45 minutes ago, fenski said:

What does moral high ground gain the club?

Does it prevent office staff, players or back room staff potentially losing their jobs through a forced relegation?

Does it give us a wee trophy to parade?

Does it increase our home support?

Does it protect the future of the club financially?

It does none of these probably the exact opposite 

Just a thought..and pretty much contradicting my earlier point about lack of a legal case. But why not just wait til the money is paid out then take legal action? Surely paying out the money doesnt suddenly exempt the SPFL from any legal comeback

Anyone who thinks that law courts are a means of obtaining truth and justice are very much mistaken - they clearly have more baws than brains. In 2004, there was a clear breach of SPL Rules regarding ground capacity with a re-vote to obtain the desired result. My recollection is that while the Court of Session Judges expressed sympathy for Thistle's case, they refused to grant an interim interdict on the basis that we should have exhausted all options with the Football Authorities.

This time, there was a vote of all the member clubs and they came to a  clear decision. There may well have been procedural errors in the voting but even if the Court upheld this, another vote would then have been arranged with the same result...and added hostility from the other clubs.

While I understand and to some extent share the grievance with the other clubs, in fairness, there was little reason for any of them to vote No - they were either saving themselves from possible relegation(St Mirren, Hamilton, Ross County, QoS, Alloa, Forfar, Brechin), gaining a far from certain promotion (Raith) or simply getting a wad of money and moving on to plan for next season.  There is nothing intrinsically unfair about deciding league positions on a average points per game basis if the League games can not be played. A null & void season would be unfair to Celtic, Dundee United & Cove who are clearly going to win their respective Divisions.

The reality is that as in 2004, we are not a big enough Club to matter and we have been thrown under the bus because it suits the vested interests. It doesn't mean there aren't questions to be asked - 

- why was the vote to decide the final places tied to the release of funds?

- what did Dundee get in return for changing their vote?

- would the League have been called on the same basis if no games had been played after the end of January? I think Rangers would have been champions by a tiny fraction.

- will Aston Villa, who are in the same position as us , be relegated? The Premiership are considering no relegation with the top two from the Championship being promoted. 

- why couldn't a deadline have been set to play at least some games before ending the season? The Premiership are considering up to 30 June.

It does leave a bitter taste but we have only ourselves to blame for ending up bottom in a poor standard League - I like McCall but the results have not been good enough...and we were about 10 months late in getting rid of Caldwell.

I'm hoping that something comes out of the re-construction talks...I have attended fewer games over the last two seasons and would have even less enthusiasm for the First Division...however I suspect there will be more serious problems about going to Firhill this year than uncultured football. 

• Like 2