Jump to content

West Ender

What if they shut down the season?

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

But we’re hedging our bets on a vaccine which may or may not come, what happens if there is no vaccine ( SARS etc) it’s a debate whether the amount of destruction by not restarting the economy is worse than the virus itself .

A normal year from flu accounts for 400/500 victims whereas just now we’re standing at 1120 victims of COVID 19 which is obviously more.

Just now , there are lots of businesses been affected by the lock down, some are not been helped at all by local council and government.

These businesses employ lots of employees who will end up claiming benefits as some of these businesses have no chance of ever reopening especially in the Hospitality industry and I would include football in that as well .

In any business if there is no revenue coming in and fixed expenditures going out wages , utilities etc they don’t last very long .

The Scottish government have gave out plenty of recommendations eg no football with or without spectators but very little at this moment in the way of recompense to try and keep Clubs afloat .

 

 

Playing devils advocate, there has got to be a compromise somewhere along the line or it’s going to be a bankrupt country.

1120 victims only because we have taken extraordinary measures to keep the numbers down. The hospitals are full of desperately sick patients and health care workers are dying trying to treat them. Please don't put flu in the same sentence.

I understand the economic damage that is being done. I work freelance and my industry has been completely shut down and will be one of the last to start up again. I have no income and precious little help from the government. I get it.

We will have to find a way through this. A path to the 'new normal'. But we are at an early stage of living with Covid-19. Personally, I'm happy that the Scottish Government's approach is about looking after the health of its citizens first and foremost.  It should be the first duty of any government. Rather that than the Trump/Johnson vision of opening everything up asap so that their pals can carry on making money and to hell with the risks.

The document published today by the government is the first step along the road to the new normal. It is their starting point. Don't hold your breath waiting for such clarity from Downing Street.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BowenBoys said:

1120 victims only because we have taken extraordinary measures to keep the numbers down. The hospitals are full of desperately sick patients and health care workers are dying trying to treat them. Please don't put flu in the same sentence.

I understand the economic damage that is being done. I work freelance and my industry has been completely shut down and will be one of the last to start up again. I have no income and precious little help from the government. I get it.

We will have to find a way through this. A path to the 'new normal'. But we are at an early stage of living with Covid-19. Personally, I'm happy that the Scottish Government's approach is about looking after the health of its citizens first and foremost.  It should be the first duty of any government. Rather that than the Trump/Johnson vision of opening everything up asap so that their pals can carry on making money and to hell with the risks.

The document published today by the government is the first step along the road to the new normal. It is their starting point. Don't hold your breath waiting for such clarity from Downing Street.

Not really disagreeing  with you at all and I’m in a similar position possibly as yourself being self - employed within the Licensed Trade but even though it’s commendable to look after everyone’s health within our country, giving us advice on social distancing etc but we’ve got scenarios where people have run out of money and going to food banks to survive, friends I know have got a 3 month holiday from their mortgage but have no idea where they get the extra income after that to pay for their mortgage ( universal credit doesn’t cover it )

Not really sure how the SG go about it but there is going to be an unheard of recession in the next 20 years .

Edited by jlsarmy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Not really disagreeing  with you at all and I’m in a similar position possibly as yourself being self - employed within the Licensed Trade but even though it’s commendable to look after everyone’s health within our country, giving us advice on social distancing etc but we’ve not got scenarios where people have run out of money and going to food banks to survive, friends I know have got a 3 month holiday from their mortgage but have no idea where they get the extra income after that to pay for their mortgage ( universal credit doesn’t cover it )

Not really sure how the SG go about it but there is going to be an unheard of recession in the next 20 years .

It really isn't easy. I know people are struggling. The safety net has been badly eroded. I think we will need to sit tight for a while yet though.

Still, not going to ge before we can all celebrate the hard Brexit. Wave our blue passports in the air with delight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jaf said:

Why bother?  It’s 26 pages of nothing. 

You mean you have read it and didn't understand one word?

Coronavirus is here until there is a vaccine that works, that will 18 months from now at the earliest. [that is my opinion]

Unfortunately it is not the Scottish government or EUFA or the SFA or the SPL who is setting the agenda on when we can return to normal, it is the virus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

You have read it ?

Section 5 Essentially no pubs open or large gatherings /events for the foreseeable. If they can't open the schools before August (?) then sadly football is probably much further down the list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elevenone said:

club update.  some amazing funds raised by fans and partial refunds available on season tickets should it be required.  

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/club-update-23rd-april-2020/

Thanks to Thistle for the offer of a partial refund. I will not be taking them up in this offer as my small way of helping the club. On the other hand if the SPFL clubs who voted to end the season  early give the same offer, thats a different story. Not holding my breath though.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Auld Jag,

"Thanks to Thistle for the offer of a partial refund. I will not be taking them up in this offer as my small way of helping the club. "

I am currently a 'pay at the gate' fan. But I'd expect that very few season ticket holders will want a refund. It is folk such as you that are the heart and soul of this football club.

The genuine support that folk have given is quite overwhelming.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


France update ...

The French Sports Ministry has said that from May 11th
the general public will be able to run, walk and cycle outside without restrictions. Professional athletes will be able to resume training after a health check. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

I did and it mentions nothing, complete waste of time effort and money

I think this more representative of the positive reaction ....it’s the start of a process decisions come at the end 
 

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2020/04/scottish-coronavirus-report-lockdown-government-nicola-sturgeon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I think this more representative of the positive reaction ....it’s the start of a process decisions come at the end 
 

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2020/04/scottish-coronavirus-report-lockdown-government-nicola-sturgeon

Agreed, it's a good summation of what is in the document. I guess the document is a starting point that leads you through the decision making process on how we proceed from here.

When I compare it to what's been happening recently in the USA, I feel we have at least got the correct people running / advising the country [esp. Jason Leitch]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

You have read it ?

Yep, printed it off at lunchtime today and read it. Was hoping for some early insight into what preparation I need to do to get my 40 staff back working from office. No such luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jaf said:

Yep, printed it off at lunchtime today and read it. Was hoping for some early insight into what preparation I need to do to get my 40 staff back working from office. No such luck.

Hard to give specifics yet I’d say. Reading the documents though effective social distancing and hygiene measures will be the main thrust behind getting businesses back to work hopefully in the near future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

You mean you have read it and didn't understand one word?

 

My Sixth Year Studies English teacher would be offended by that suggestion!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Hard to give specifics yet I’d say. Reading the documents though effective social distancing and hygiene measures will be the main thrust behind getting businesses back to work hopefully in the near future. 

A lot of the furloughing that has gone on is because people have refused to work when effective social distancing was in place in workplaces. I have many clients telling me that - usually the spouse is getting the blame.

The fear factor is high, and I worry if the rhetoric leans too far one way, its going to be terribly difficult to nudge people back to working productively,

Whoever said that the first and foremost duty of a government was the health and safety of their population is of course correct, but also there needs to be a realisation death comes in many guises, including economic suicides, and so a balance does need to be found.

All of which shows why Shankly could be wrong - sometimes football is not the most important thing!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

You mean you have read it and didn't understand one word?

Coronavirus is here until there is a vaccine that works, that will 18 months from now at the earliest. [that is my opinion]

Unfortunately it is not the Scottish government or EUFA or the SFA or the SPL who is setting the agenda on when we can return to normal, it is the virus.

Most healthy People can’t stay in their houses for 12-18 months. I took from the piece that we are moving towards lessening the (very light) lockdown. 

Obviously risk needs to be weighed up with benefits and I’d assume our government will verge on the cautious side of things. The document details potential harm from staying in the current state of affairs for too long.

Football and other large scale events will be far down the list but that’s because they’re potentially more harmful than someone returning to work in a safe and hygienic environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jaf said:

A lot of the furloughing that has gone on is because people have refused to work when effective social distancing was in place in workplaces. I have many clients telling me that - usually the spouse is getting the blame.

The fear factor is high, and I worry if the rhetoric leans too far one way, its going to be terribly difficult to nudge people back to working productively,

Whoever said that the first and foremost duty of a government was the health and safety of their population is of course correct, but also there needs to be a realisation death comes in many guises, including economic suicides, and so a balance does need to be found.

All of which shows why Shankly could be wrong - sometimes football is not the most important thing!

 

 

That’s definitely been blown out of the water :lol:

Its going to be interesting how businesses have adapted to this situation. I worked for a company that set up 1700 people working from home. The reports are quite good. Productivity as far as can be measured has been good. Nobody tends to be late for work and some folk work better without someone breathing down their neck.

Obviously this isn’t suitable for a lot of industries.  The problem is people will flock to places that reopen. Apparently France reopened McDonalds and there are 3 hour queues for a drive through!

Have you been able to keep any part of your business running at the moment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Have you been able to keep any part of your business running at the moment?

Yes, thanks

We all had work from home capability for some time, so its not been too bad.

However some individuals have found it impossible to work due to their individual circumstances, and we are really flexible with them, but regardless,  there is a fair amount of time reassuring people who feel insecure, just trying to be a good employer and treat people how you would wish treated yourself.  Just heard today of a competitor reducing to 4 day week, and furloughing a big chunk of their staff which will ramp up the insecurity further. So far we don't have to go down that route though, thankfully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×