What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

5 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Most/all their players contracts up 9th June he said. But also said they have offered all players on their books new contracts.

Surprising when we don't know when football will restart. I would have thought that most clubs would want to get outgoings off their books asap. Perhaps if they are part time, the bulk of the players wage will be appearance money.

6 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Surprising when we don't know when football will restart. I would have thought that most clubs would want to get outgoings off their books asap. Perhaps if they are part time, the bulk of the players wage will be appearance money.

It's easy to be generous and offer new contracts if it's not costing you anything.

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

The fact that he’s even thinking about no play shows a worrying complacency all too prevalent in Scottish football .....can alloa survive that ?

I don't think it's complacency at all. The alternative is sacrificing the elderly, infirm and those with underlying health issues to try to obtain "herd immunity". I'm sure that many CEOs and shareholders around the land are heading for demanding that to save business but it's probably too soon to demand it to save football.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jaf said:

To be fair to Doncaster, he is absolutely right about the loans option. It is utter nonsense to suggest otherwise, and perhaps Rangers should be demanding an investigation into who gave them that advice than into SPFL.  

I put on this forum about 70 pages ago when loans were first mentioned, how ridiculous a proposition that was. Even our own legal advice conceded that personal guarantees may need offered by football club chairmen. Have the money with no risk to your personal wealth, or have your money with no risk to your personal wealth - really, what do you expect people to choose.

It is a technical point, and not every football fan nor media pundit will grasp it, but you might have hoped the chairmen of Hearts and Rangers would. It seems not.

The whole loans debate probably suits SPFL as it has focussed the attention away from the areas they have done poorly in all of this. In saying loans were not the solution, I believe however they were perfectly correct, even if they could have communicated it better.

Was it not the case that the loans would have been in stead of the final league placing payout - not as well as. Therefor, there would have been no need for personal guarantees- the SPFL could be the guarantor.  The problem with this whole issue has been the powers that be have allowed themselves to be confined by the parameters of the existing regulations. 

Just now, Dick Dastardly said:

Whether it was possible to grant loans, there does at least appear to be a precedent to give advances based on lowest possible finish. Why was this not put forward as an option?

There is not a precedent.  The circumstances of loaning one or two clubs money compared to the whole league is entirely different. Especially when the recipient clubs are at insolvency risk themselves. (Or some are at least). 

1 hour ago, scotty said:

I don't think it's complacency at all. The alternative is sacrificing the elderly, infirm and those with underlying health issues to try to obtain "herd immunity". I'm sure that many CEOs and shareholders around the land are heading for demanding that to save business but it's probably too soon to demand it to save football.

The statistics for the health of the typical West of Scotland male, are scary! [have a read of the Scottish Health Survey 2018 for details] As a demographic, people in WoS, are likely to have the most difficult transition between the relative safety of 'lockdown' to the status of 'herd immunity'.

Personally I simply do not see a situation where I will be able to sit in my seat at Firhill [JH - row S] relax to watch a football game while there is a stand full of people behind me shouting words of encouragement or expletives to the team on the field. I just don't see a situation where any of us would feel comfortable barring the widespread introduction of a vaccine.

My guess is football crowds, as we know them,  will not be seen before the production of a vaccine for the virus and I would suggest that a video of the match made available to ST holders the following day, might be the best option? Don't consider the high end cameras costing 100's of thousands, but a more basic set-up?

36 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

The statistics for the health of the typical West of Scotland male, are scary! [have a read of the Scottish Health Survey 2018 for details] As a demographic, people in WoS, are likely to have the most difficult transition between the relative safety of 'lockdown' to the status of 'herd immunity'.

Personally I simply do not see a situation where I will be able to sit in my seat at Firhill [JH - row S] relax to watch a football game while there is a stand full of people behind me shouting words of encouragement or expletives to the team on the field. I just don't see a situation where any of us would feel comfortable barring the widespread introduction of a vaccine.

My guess is football crowds, as we know them,  will not be seen before the production of a vaccine for the virus and I would suggest that a video of the match made available to ST holders the following day, might be the best option? Don't consider the high end cameras costing 100's of thousands, but a more basic set-up?

And if there is no vaccine as in previous Coronavirusses then the majority of Clubs are in big trouble, you’ve got the problem of no income coming in with fixed costs , the other problem you’ve got is lots of unemployed football players earning no money with families to support.

A lot of these players will be lost to the game 

1 hour ago, jaf said:

There is not a precedent.  The circumstances of loaning one or two clubs money compared to the whole league is entirely different. Especially when the recipient clubs are at insolvency risk themselves. (Or some are at least). 

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Whether it was possible to grant loans, there does at least appear to be a precedent to give advances based on lowest possible finish. Why was this not put forward as an option?

You're both falling into the mistake that the journalists (and pundits with more excuse) made on Sportsound yesterday. DD has got it but is still talking about loans! This played right into Doncaster's hand as he is happy to talk about loans all day. This deflects away from what really went on. The issue had nothing to do with loans (that is also Rangers' mistake) but the money was available as advances and never offered. Instead tha SPFL chose to say to clubs that they could only get this money after they voted to finish the season.

Edited by scotty
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, scotty said:

I don’t follow you .....if your not in a care home or over 70 or have an underlying health condition then the probability of dying is very very small and for those under 40 ie footballers the U.K. death rate is 0.2%.....so we all have to live with the virus And that includes football.....and just because Alloa might survive until august 2021 without any football doesn’t mean every club can...the balance here is suppressing the virus so that we can actually survive outside our homes

6 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I don’t follow you .....if your not in a care home or over 70 or have an underlying health condition then the probability of dying is very very small and for those under 40 ie footballers the U.K. death rate is 0.2%.....so we all have to live with the virus And that includes football.....and just because Alloa might survive until august 2021 without any football doesn’t mean every club can...the balance here is suppressing the virus so that we can actually survive outside our homes

But we can't suppress the virus by allowing thousands of football fans to congregate or to hold mass gatherings in winter when viruses seems to be at their most virulent.

People working alongside players will need PPE and even for a behind  closed doors game emergency workers are required to be present.Some non UK players in the EPL are asking if football has been banned in their own countries why is it safer to play in England.

3 minutes ago, scotty said:

But we can't suppress the virus by allowing thousands of football fans to congregate or to hold mass gatherings in winter when viruses seems to be at their most virulent.

I don’t think that is being proposed at this point but football without fans 

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

I don’t think that is being proposed at this point but football without fans 

To be honest I think that has been the plan by football authorities and their partners in sports media companies for many years now.

Just now, scotty said:

To be honest I think that has been the plan by football authorities and their partners in sports media companies for many years now.

The broadcasters will no doubt be looking for a rule-change to allow them to call the results of matches to give them a selling point near the end of seasons. :frantic:

Just now, scotty said:

See my last post. I can take it further.

Given the reliance of some clubs in match day revenue eg Liverpool , the diminishing of football as a spectacle , the consequent additional revenue drops .....you are way off beam 

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

From Skysports!

As most EPL clubs have more than half of their income from TV revenues the attending fans will be left behind when that becomes 100%. Will clubs be allowed to stream live games to their own fans or will the broadcasters put a block on that? Sky will have a few choice matches on and will not want their viewres watching anything else. Closed door matches will be the end of football as we know it.

32 minutes ago, javeajag said:

0.2%. So it is ok for 1 in 500 footballers to DIE just to get a sport .... an entertainment.... to restart.