Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
east end jag

My season ended early because...

Recommended Posts

Given the rather abrupt end (or pause) to this season,  l thought it would be interesting to hear from any of you who have had previous seasons cut short for unexpected or unforseen reasons. I appreciate that some may have gone to games with family and/or friends who became unwell or died and that stopped your trips to watch football. But are there any other stories people have about having to stop going early/mid or late season? Did you get home from school as a kid to be told you were moving to Hong Kong a week on Tuesday? Did dad tell you the French tutor could only do Saturday at 3pm so that stupid football would have to stop? Or did securing that dream retail job in Exeter mean the last pages of your Thistle season ticket remained forever attached to the spine of the book?

Abrupt ends to football seasons can be traumatic. They can be fortunate. They can be frustrating. But they've happened to individual supporters  before for all sorts of reasons. So in the absence of being able to at least check the scores, why not sit down and tell us your experience of football ending abruptly for you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13th August 1994.

First game of the season - 2-0 v Kilmarnock (Isaac English and Derek McWilliams).

The Gerry Collins hard had on the construction site game.

The then 36 year old George McCluskey came on for Killie.

Two days later I moved to Brussels for a new job and have never lived full-time in Scotland since (to be updated thanks to Brexit).

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

13th August 1994.

First game of the season - 2-0 v Kilmarnock (Isaac English and Derek McWilliams).

The Gerry Collins hard had on the construction site game.

The then 36 year old George McCluskey came on for Killie.

Two days later I moved to Brussels for a new job and have never lived full-time in Scotland since (to be updated thanks to Brexit).

 

Remember that game well Barney.  Cracking crowd (both sets) and cracking strip too.  Always had a soft spot for Isaac English even if I did feel he missed his potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Season 2013-2014, our first season back in the top flight after too long, and replacing Dundee. As a season-ticket holder I made it to almost all home games, and also made the effort to get to as many away games as possible. However, over a 15-year period work-related trips to Japan meant that I usually missed any mid-winter games and usually the first month of each season. While in Japan in winter 2013-2014, I got offered a permanent job, so after a long period of reflection (about 10 minutes) I decided to become an "alien." So, the last victory I saw that season was 3-1 at home to Hibs, then I suffered a 1-0 defeat at ICT. Preparations means that I couldn't go to the 1-5 gubbing by Celtic or the 1-1 draw in Perth. The rest of the season I had to follow nervously via the internet, but of course we managed to finish a magnificent 8th, and it was pleasing to see the two Edinburgh teams get relegated together!

Since then, I'm a remote supporter, Centenary club member, Jags Trust member, and until recently, a season-ticket holder who never saw any matches in the flesh.  The season ticket may make a comeback next season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, elevenone said:

Remember that game well Barney.  Cracking crowd (both sets) and cracking strip too.  Always had a soft spot for Isaac English even if I did feel he missed his potential.

It's odd now to think back only 25 years and the support that both PT and Kilmarnock carried. I know the JHS is empty as it's under construction, but in terms of attendances this century, that is an impressive crowd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, elevenone said:

Remember that game well Barney.  Cracking crowd (both sets) and cracking strip too.  Always had a soft spot for Isaac English even if I did feel he missed his potential.

That was my first game at Firhill after moving to Glasgow having lived in the north of Scotland and Sweden for a good part  of my life. Was in the away end with some Killie supporting friends and became a firm Thistle supporter before half time.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, elevenone said:

Remember that game well Barney.  Cracking crowd (both sets) and cracking strip too.  Always had a soft spot for Isaac English even if I did feel he missed his potential.

Regrets, I've had a few - and not purchasing that strip is one of them.

It was a belter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After 8 years a season ticket holder I had to move to London for work just after the 2017-18 season had started. Took in the Hibs away defeat on the opening day of the season and the home defeat to Aberdeen. Thereafter I saw the pre-Christmas victory over Hamilton and the John Lambie Derby.

The only game I saw in the flesh during Gary Caldwell’s tenure was a 0-0 draw at Grangemouth. I returned for Doolan’s Testimonial and then took in the Dundee, Morton and Alloa games around Christmas/New Year. Made the mistake of making a point of getting to the Raith game a few weeks back.

It’s frustrating not to be able to get to Firhill frequently but it’s the travel as much as anything that makes it expensive/inconvenient. I do try to get to games in and around London but this ******* virus has stopped that and all...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

After 8 years a season ticket holder I had to move to London for work just after the 2017-18 season had started. Took in the Hibs away defeat on the opening day of the season and the home defeat to Aberdeen. Thereafter I saw the pre-Christmas victory over Hamilton and the John Lambie Derby.

The only game I saw in the flesh during Gary Caldwell’s tenure was a 0-0 draw at Grangemouth. I returned for Doolan’s Testimonial and then took in the Dundee, Morton and Alloa games around Christmas/New Year. Made the mistake of making a point of getting to the Raith game a few weeks back.

It’s frustrating not to be able to get to Firhill frequently but it’s the travel as much as anything that makes it expensive/inconvenient. I do try to get to games in and around London but this ******* virus has stopped that and all...

Going to different games in the London area every week sounds grand - far preferable to Firhill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, One t in Scotland said:

Going to different games in the London area every week sounds grand - far preferable to Firhill.

It’s not the same.

A couple of Fulham games have had a decent atmosphere but nothing compares to Scottish football.

Some of the grounds don’t even sell pies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

It’s not the same.

A couple of Fulham games have had a decent atmosphere but nothing compares to Scottish football.

Some of the grounds don’t even sell pies.

*throws his frock up at the horror of no pies*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2020 at 5:10 PM, Barney Rubble said:

13th August 1994.

First game of the season - 2-0 v Kilmarnock (Isaac English and Derek McWilliams).

The Gerry Collins hard had on the construction site game.

The then 36 year old George McCluskey came on for Killie.

Two days later I moved to Brussels for a new job and have never lived full-time in Scotland since (to be updated thanks to Brexit).

 

Couple of great goals there. Not sure how I missed that game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2020 at 6:24 PM, Woodstock Jag said:

After 8 years a season ticket holder I had to move to London for work just after the 2017-18 season had started. Took in the Hibs away defeat on the opening day of the season and the home defeat to Aberdeen. Thereafter I saw the pre-Christmas victory over Hamilton and the John Lambie Derby.

The only game I saw in the flesh during Gary Caldwell’s tenure was a 0-0 draw at Grangemouth. I returned for Doolan’s Testimonial and then took in the Dundee, Morton and Alloa games around Christmas/New Year. Made the mistake of making a point of getting to the Raith game a few weeks back.

It’s frustrating not to be able to get to Firhill frequently but it’s the travel as much as anything that makes it expensive/inconvenient. I do try to get to games in and around London but this ******* virus has stopped that and all...

Likewise I miss very much the days when I was able to go to every home match. Living in the wilds of Aberdeenshire its a 14 hour day for me to see a game at Firhill so try to take in games at Dundee, Perth and this season Arbroath. 

People up here ask why I don't go to Pittodrie on a regular basis - they receive a cold, angry stare  -  and  depending on the context of the question a comment something along the lines of "once a Jag always a Jag" or "faith is permanent". 

I did go to St James Park last season with my grandson to watch Newcastle v Crystal Palace (0-1 Pen). One of the most boring games I have ever seen. No excitement, passion or atmosphere even with 42k in the ground. Standard wasn't any better than an SPL game. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×