Extending the season

wrighty

Just thinking,  if they're going to extend the season  into June or even July... They'd need to cancel the summer transfer window wouldn't they?  It could be pretty unfair for some clubs... Even us,   to make signings to get out of trouble or challenge for the league title? 

But players have a legal contract which expires at the end of May. After that they are free agents, nothing to do with football, this is basic employment law and we can't force them to extend those contracts. Come 1st June, I think we have 7 first team players. In addition, we won't want to be paying wages if there is no prospect of football restarting, so I suspect that we will let them all go.

Besides, I think we are looking at football being off the agenda for some considerable time. I'd be surprised if there is anything before September, and possibly nothing until 2021. What the authorities need to do is wait until we know when it is going to restart before deciding on what to do.

Edited by Dick Dastardly

With this virus there is no known timetable, so speculation on when the season restarts is just that …. speculation. The season may be cancelled for 4 weeks or 12 weeks, or it could be a much longer period of time …. for example, until a vaccine is made and approved for human use. We are still at a stage where we are looking at other countries to see how they are managing the disease and hoping we can glean something from their experiences … if we look at S Korea we may have more optimistic outlook, but if we look at North Italy, the next 6 weeks are looking quite bleak.

We may simply benefit from having the peak numbers of infections when the weather is better.

It’s going to be weird to see what happens with players who have signed pre contracts if the season is extended even further, the likes of Docherty at Ayr, surely he has to complete the season with Ayr then join us, but if his contract with Ayr ends at end of June, can he then leave and join us and play our remaining games this season? 

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

Just thinking,  if they're going to extend the season  into June or even July... They'd need to cancel the summer transfer window wouldn't they?  It could be pretty unfair for some clubs... Even us,   to make signings to get out of trouble or challenge for the league title? 

I don’t see it as much different from the January window, with the exception that there will be more players out of contract. However, the upside is that during the summer many players are unemployed for up to 3 months. Short term extensions could  work for them and the clubs

1 hour ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

With this virus there is no known timetable, so speculation on when the season restarts is just that …. speculation. The season may be cancelled for 4 weeks or 12 weeks, or it could be a much longer period of time …. for example, until a vaccine is made and approved for human use. We are still at a stage where we are looking at other countries to see how they are managing the disease and hoping we can glean something from their experiences … if we look at S Korea we may have more optimistic outlook, but if we look at North Italy, the next 6 weeks are looking quite bleak.

We may simply benefit from having the peak numbers of infections when the weather is better.

Unfortunately we've missed the boat on replicating the Korean model. We reacted far too slowly.

Ironically, the safest place to be soon will be China. Lucky I still have a valid visa. Will be a long walk though...

From BBC

Posted at 12:5612:56

BREAKINGRestriction to continue ‘most of a year’

Policies to limit the spread of coronavirus would need to be in place for "at least most of a year" to prevent intensive care units being overwhelmed, according to official scientific advice to the government.

The documents, prepared by the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), said alternating between more and less strict measures could "plausibly be effective at keeping the number of critical care cases within capacity".

Looks as if I might be right in no football before 2021 which puts a new picture on what to do with this season

Contracts/legals I have no idea.

But from reading sensible outlets and wife in NHS this will peak in 3 or 4 weeks.  Level out.  Then peak again Winter time.

So it's going to be stop start to society with restrictions lifted for society and economy where possible then brought back in. 

The season could stretch over 2 regular seasons in my mind.  Finance, contracts etc would be difficult.

If we can finish the current season just before the end of 2020, this could be a unique opportunity to reconcile the football season with the calendar year.

It is rather embarrassing conducting business meetings from home by Zoom and  realising that people can see Raffa da Vita peaking out of the calendar on the wall behind me.

• Like 1

We require common sense, flexibility and a spirit of goodwill on the part of the football authorities, clubs, players and their agents. All parties need to focus attention on the problems not on their own interests. 

Regrettably, over the years the two main footballing authorities in Scotland have shown a distinct lack of common sense and a 'healthy' doze of self-interest! 

I don't begin to know what the answers are but I do know the 'rule book'  can't be a basis for decision making in what is an unprecedented situation. If ever there was a time for 'out of the box' thinking, this is it!