Davie Cooper....

wrighty

Can't believe it's been 25 years since this great guy was cruelly  taken from us so soon.. ... No matter your team.... Always remember this guy as one of Scotlands greats..

I first saw him in 1970something..6 maybe..everybody was talking about this young boy at clydebank.... So we made a point of going to firhill for a Scottish cup replay after several draws.... Rangers won 2-1... But The Star was a young Davie Cooper.... So many great memories of him.... Especially in Wales in 86....sorry if my dates are wrong....time and booze and all that... Great memories but so sad..... 

Probably the last in a long line of great Scottish wingers in the traditional sense. Even at that Cooper had to adapt to the more modern style of play. That in itself made him an exceptional player.

Just too young to have seen Johnny McKenzie play but have seen some sensational Scottish wingers in my time. Willie Henderson, Jimmy Johnstone, Charlie Cooke, Eddie Gray immediately spring to mind. Cooper was up there with those guys.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wrighty said:

Can't believe it's been 25 years since this great guy was cruelly  taken from us so soon.. ... No matter your team.... Always remember this guy as one of Scotlands greats..

I first saw him in 1970something..6 maybe..everybody was talking about this young boy at clydebank.... So we made a point of going to firhill for a Scottish cup replay after several draws.... Rangers won 2-1... But The Star was a young Davie Cooper.... So many great memories of him.... Especially in Wales in 86....sorry if my dates are wrong....time and booze and all that... Great memories but so sad..... 

It was 1985 Wrighty  and as they say,’I was there’

Sadly I it was the night Jock Stein died.

Incidentally, I think Leighton started out in goal but Roughie took over at some stage?

4 minutes ago, sandbank boy said:
4 minutes ago, sandbank boy said:

Incidentally, I think Leighton started out in goal but Roughie took over at some stage?

Think Leighton  lost a contact lens so was subbed.

They were speaking about this on Off The Ball recently. Apparently Leighton hid the fact he wore contacts from the management team. He had to confess and told them at half time he lost one and was subbed for Roughie at half time. That Cooper penalty will always stay with me as I was glued to the TV for that match as a young kid. I remember every time he got the ball I got excited that something great would happen for Scotland. 

Fantastic player. First I heard of him was when Clydebank got to the Spring Cup Final in 76 when quite a few Jags went along to Firhill to support the Bankies v Airdrie. There were the usual Shed Shenanigans with Section B, and as I stood in our normal singing bit of The Shed with the Bankies a flying bottle just missed me and smacked the guy next to me. Those were the days, now they just throw them at players!

On 3/23/2020 at 2:23 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Probably the last in a long line of great Scottish wingers in the traditional sense. Even at that Cooper had to adapt to the more modern style of play. That in itself made him an exceptional player.

Just too young to have seen Johnny McKenzie play but have seen some sensational Scottish wingers in my time. Willie Henderson, Jimmy Johnstone, Charlie Cooke, Eddie Gray immediately spring to mind. Cooper was up there with those guys.  

Cooper was a class act with a left foot that rivalled that great Raith Rovers player Jim Baxter.  My personal favourite was Charlie Cooke - poetry in motion.!

On 3/23/2020 at 6:09 PM, sandbank boy said:

Regarding the international v Wales when Stein Died. According to Ferguson (then Aberdeen Manager and Stein's Assistant for Internationals) it was discovered at half-time that Leighton, our first choice Keeper by that time had lost a contact lense.  Coupled with fact Leighton was not having a great game Stein made the substitution and Rough played the whole second half. 

I recall the commentators putting Scotland improved second half performance down to the confident play of Rough. He didn't have a lot to do as a keeper but he played an excellent sweepers game being very quick off his line to kill the threat of through balls and balls over the top!!  Had Stein not died and Ferguson taken over I think Rough's International career  would have extended a little probably finally losing his place to Gorham

Must admit I am biased here, never rated Leighton! 

On 3/23/2020 at 2:23 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Hopefully not the last ever great Scottish winger.

A German friend of mine manages a team in the Black Forest region of Germany.

They play an annual tournament with the likes of Juve, PSG and a host of other big names.

His team were in a group this year with Man City and a certain Darren Fletcher was over watching his twin boys playing.

Think they are 16 or so and are great players, one being an extremely talented left winger.

Who knows.... 

Bayern Munich U17's beat Man City on pens in the final btw.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Regarding the international v Wales when Stein Died. According to Ferguson (then Aberdeen Manager and Stein's Assistant for Internationals) it was discovered at half-time that Leighton, our first choice Keeper by that time had lost a contact lense.  Coupled with fact Leighton was not having a great game Stein made the substitution and Rough played the whole second half. 

I recall the commentators putting Scotland improved second half performance down to the confident play of Rough. He didn't have a lot to do as a keeper but he played an excellent sweepers game being very quick off his line to kill the threat of through balls and balls over the top!!  Had Stein not died and Ferguson taken over I think Rough's International career  would have extended a little probably finally losing his place to Gorham

Must admit I am biased here, never rated Leighton! 

Subsequent to Cardiff, Roughie played at Wembley in 1986 (1-2, Souness pen).

7 minutes ago, One t in Scotland said:

And he was in the subsequent WC squad.

Yes agree with both posts. Thanks for making my point. 

Game v England was his last appearance in a Scotland Jersey and he went to the World Cup as 3rd choice goalkeeper behind Leighton and Goram!

I recall Ferguson's response to press criticism about his treatment of Rough. He said "it was time for a change". 

Rough was in the advance stages of his career but IMO it should have been Goram, Rough & Leighton (if he had to be in the squad) in that order. 

As I said I did not rate Leighton at all. 

4 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Yes agree with both posts. Thanks for making my point. 

Game v England was his last appearance in a Scotland Jersey and he went to the World Cup as 3rd choice goalkeeper behind Leighton and Goram!

I recall Ferguson's response to press criticism about his treatment of Rough. He said "it was time for a change". 

Rough was in the advance stages of his career but IMO it should have been Goram, Rough & Leighton (if he had to be in the squad) in that order. 

As I said I did not rate Leighton at all. 

Even under Jock Stein he didn't play from the WC in 1982 until Wales.

Jim Leighton was responsible for probably the single best goalkeeping performance I've ever witnessed from a Scotland goalkeeper v Sweden at Ibrox in November 1996. He double-handedly won us that game after John McGinlay's early opener.

Sweden brought on a dreadlocked guy for the last twenty minutes that day and stuck him out on the right wing. Larsson I think his name was. Wonder whatever happened to him?

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 3:15 PM, CrimeWriterJag said:

They were speaking about this on Off The Ball recently. Apparently Leighton hid the fact he wore contacts from the management team. He had to confess and told them at half time he lost one and was subbed for Roughie at half time. That Cooper penalty will always stay with me as I was glued to the TV for that match as a young kid. I remember every time he got the ball I got excited that something great would happen for Scotland. 

I was behind the goal in the days when they packed you in like sardines... And someone always shouting ... Piss coming out... Cause you couldn't get to a toilet... Nor find your way back to your mates...... But I couldn't see the goal line.... And for a split second thought their keeper had got it..... Mixed emotions that night..... It was two big Welsh polis that told us about Jock as we were leaving... As it coming over on their radio...