Funniest Firhill Shoutouts

CrimeWriterJag

Abiding memory of the Great Lambini at a game against Celtic at Firhill around the early 90’s. The enclosure was still in use and myself and my wife’s young Celtic supporting brother were in attendance. Standing in the Main stand enclosure very close to the right-side dugout. Lambie was agitated at the start of the second half and leaning against the see-through plastic canopy at the dugout .

Attired in that  boonie /bucket hat with thistle name, colours and wrapped in a jags scarf he’s getting more animated banging on the plastic as Thistle shooting towards the city end are pushing hard for an winner or equalizer can’t remember, but we were all over them,  I think that was the time Gerry Britton had his living on the edge part of his career , he was always getting called offside.  As time goes on Lambie is getting more and more frustrated as the linesman constantly is pulling up the Thistle front two for marginal off-sides, god knows how many times. I think Celtic had cleared a couple off the line, Bonnar had made a couple of genuine world class saves.

Well the bold John with his unique style and verbal delivery gave the Linesmen what for,   “LINESMAN , !!! LINESMAN !! Linesman!!  whair tha fecking Hell da y think ye ur!! Sir !  di ya think this is the fncking Gala Day !!!!, stop waving yon flag like a wean at tha Parade”

I couldn't stop laughing at a genuine Great Lambini moment even when Creaney came on for Celtic and scored a breakaway winner with his first touch, 

• Like 1

My soon to be wife and I were at the League Cup Final (there is only one) standing in the terracing.  There was virtually no segregation and there were two very drunk Celtic Fans nearby. Imagine the two of them leaning together to hold each other up. Their half-time conversation went something like this:

Fan 1  "naw a jist cannie swallie whit yer sayin"

Fan 2 "why no" 

(1) " jist cannae accept it" 

(2) "whit am a sayin  that ye cannie swallie" 

(1) "that a team that's 4-0 up at half-time is f****!! lucky"!

I'll remember the game, the general occasion and this conversation as long as I live! 

Also getting very happy in my local pub that night as pint after pint kept appearing at out table.  Bought by friends of my father who just happened to be 'blue noses'!  Wouldn't have been polite to refuse! 

Apologies for digressing from the theme - a little! 

• Like 1

You can't bring up those 45 minutes enough.

I was 7 and went with my dad and his pal. As we took our seats his encouraging words to me were

"Don't be too disappointed when Thistle lose"

One of my only memories of that day. The other was the wee inflatable Celtic men that were in vogue and in the crowd.

Don't remember the goals or presentations. 

Do remember Roughie maving a save

Another one where you probably had to be there. And again not at Firhill but at one of the most prestigious events on the sporting calendar. Yes, an East Stirling  v Jags Reserve Cup game some 10 or so years ago. We were in the old first division whilst East Stirling were as usual at bottom of the third.

Bumped into this ES supporter outside Firs Park who informed us of the easiest way to get round into the ground and hoped we enjoyed the match. Nice guy? Inside the ground he morphed into their version of Hamilton's "Fergie". Christ knows what the guy must have been like at a first team match against Stenny.

Anyway he was giving it laldy and moving down pitchside to give the linesman a piece of his mind. Can't remember much of what he was bawling out (in truth it was mostly streams of consciousness) but two shoutouts come to mind. Clearly not impressed with the standard of play from us visitors out came "You ******* lot are ******* disgrace to ******* First Division Reserve football!!!". Shortly afterwards he turned his attention to the Jags goalie, "Ha ha. You'll never ever play for Scotland, you  ******* clown!!!" . This provoked a quick reply from a rather bemused Craig Hinchcliffe "I should hope not. I'm 38 years old". At this point even the much abused linesman was close to doubling up.

I don’t really remember what he was like as a player as I had just started supporting Thistle in his last year or 2 with us.

But at the time I vaguely remember Dan McLindon had a reputation as a sort of Denis McQuade type of player.

I suspect he wasn’t the most industrious because this guy shouted out ‘ Get mobile big Danny’.

He immediately looked up and went on a mazy run. ‘I was just waiting for the best moment’ retorted the big man indignantly.

Two that I remember were - Playing against Celtic , starting the second half its 0-0. Celtic bring on John Hartson,  who had been out injured for a long time. The ball came into the thistle box and Hartson promptly put the ball into the Thistle net. The ref blew for offside and Hartson with his arms outstretched was calling the ref and linesman all sort of names, The guy behind me shouts.'You were not offside John, but your belly was!

The other game was at East Stirling's park when the ref gave a free kick. The player was ready to take it when a wag called out 'It wisnae there ref, it was two yards back past the daisy!'

4 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

I don’t really remember what he was like as a player as I had just started supporting Thistle in his last year or 2 with us.

But at the time I vaguely remember Dan McLindon had a reputation as a sort of Denis McQuade type of player.

I suspect he wasn’t the most industrious because this guy shouted out ‘ Get mobile big Danny’.

He immediately looked up and went on a mazy run. ‘I was just waiting for the best moment’ retorted the big man indignantly.

Here is big Dan finishing off the best individual goal by a Thistle player that I ever saw at Firhill. See the three Arabs and the keeper, well he dribbled past them all, collecting the ball in his own half, also beat another couple of guys on the way in a quite amazing run into the six-yard box.

GW1105H834.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Here is big Dan finishing off the best individual goal by a Thistle player that I ever saw at Firhill. See the three Arabs and the keeper, well he dribbled past them all, collecting the ball in his own half, also beat another couple of guys on the way in a quite amazing run into the six-yard box.

GW1105H834.jpg

Similar to Denis McQuade's brilliant goal against Clyde in League Cup in Bertie Auld's first season. Down the shed wing, beat about 6 Clyde players including 1 twice, got to the 18 yard line and buried it low in the corner. Absolute bedlam in the shed. What a goal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Similar to Denis McQuade's brilliant goal against Clyde in League Cup in Bertie Auld's first season. Down the shed wing, beat about 6 Clyde players including 1 twice, got to the 18 yard line and buried it low in the corner. Absolute bedlam in the shed. What a goal.

Dan's was before my time, but I was there for Denis's. What a goal it was :)

5 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

The most amazing thing about that goal was that, having done the hard work, everyone expected him to hoof it over the bar or wide of the post.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

GW1105H834.jpg

Easily one of the best goals I have ever seen at Firhill, or anywhere else for that matter.  22nd January 1966, a 4-1 victory and  that goal even overshadowed the fact that Andy Roxburgh scored a hat trick! It seemed to go on forever, big Dan leaving United bodies stranded on the turf as he weaved his way through.  Unforgettable! 

7 hours ago, SteppsJag said:

Easily one of the best goals I have ever seen at Firhill, or anywhere else for that matter.  22nd January 1966, a 4-1 victory and  that goal even overshadowed the fact that Andy Roxburgh scored a hat trick! It seemed to go on forever, big Dan leaving United bodies stranded on the turf as he weaved his way through.  Unforgettable! 

TOTALLY UNFORGETTABLE!

51 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Talking of great goals. As a youngster I used to marvel at Ronnie Glavin's free kicks. Scotland's answer to Rivelino.

Glavin was a tremendous player.

We were lucky to have two guys that could really hammer in free kicks and long shots: Glavin and Alex Forsyth.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2020 at 12:11 PM, Dick Dastardly said:

The most amazing thing about that goal was that, having done the hard work, everyone expected him to hoof it over the bar or wide of the post.

I actually thought the corner flag might be in danger! 

I was at that game - how fortunes have changed for us and DU. Where did we go wrong. 

On the subject of Dennis McQuade. 

I first saw him in a reserve game at Firhill v Celtic. The Celtic team I think also included Dalglish, Macari and others who became 'name' players. 

I could be wrong but I think we won 1-0.

I was at the front of what is now the JHS. Remember the wall with the sign 'Johnstone for Rolls, Firhill for Thrills' . I had a birdseye view of McQuade destroying McGrain and for the rest of his career I don't think McGrain had a more difficult game!