Why didn't it happen for them?

east end jag

Just been watching the Gary Fraser goal against Dundee on the club's Twitter account and it got me thinking, why does it not happen for some players who really should go on to bigger things or at least do more than they ended up achieving? 

I know everyone has an opinion on why so and so didn't become the next big thing, and a lot of it has to do with variables like attitude + opportunity x big slice of luck. But has anyone had the chance to ask ex-players like Gary Fraser  or Adam Strachan or Martin Laughlin or Mo Johnston (ok, he might be an exception) or any other number of names over the years why playing for us was the pinnacle of their achievements?  And if you did, what did they say?

Oh, and in case you didn't see it, here's the Fraser goal

https://twitter.com/PartickThistle/status/1243135721000574984?s=19

28 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

As an aside I reckon that first half at Dens was perhaps the best 45 minutes we played during our last spell in the top tier.

I lived abroad at the time and signed up to watch the match on Dundee TV, but the first half didn’t broadcast so I only saw the 2nd half. Did Fox get sent off and Gallagher came on and save the subsequent penalty? Dodgy decision from what I remember. The only consolation was they refunded the payment

I remember a similar Fraser goal against Hearts in a 4-2 win for us at Tynecastle. 

I think with Fraser injuries played a big part in not fulfilling his potential. With Strachan it seemed to be behavioural problems.  What about Jordan McMillan - I had high hopes for him! 

From my own experience I think luck has a big part to play. I won't mention any names as I don't want to name drop but I played football for 3/4 years with a guy who subsequently became a Scottish International and very successful player in Scotland and England. He got his first serious injury, missing 3 months of a season, when in his early 30s. Two of his close friends (not me) weren't so fortunate. One had a very badly broken/shattered  leg playing in junior football and which ended his career when he was about 20. The other developed an illness and  although he did manage to make it to professional football  level regrettably his career ended by 21.  Both IMO would have gone on to be full internationals! 

I don't know what you could put their differing fortunes down to other than 1 doze of good luck and 2 of bad luck! 

2 hours ago, jaggy said:

I lived abroad at the time and signed up to watch the match on Dundee TV, but the first half didn’t broadcast so I only saw the 2nd half. Did Fox get sent off and Gallagher came on and save the subsequent penalty? Dodgy decision from what I remember. The only consolation was they refunded the payment

I was supposed to go to that game treating  my daughter and my grandson  to their second jags experience.  I couldnt make it so she and my grandson went without me. 

After about  15 mins she sent me a text saying Thistle were playing great stuff but weren't going to win because the referee was very much a homer.  Then of course Fox was sent off. 

A few weeks later she showed me a profile of said Ref run by the local paper. It was a local boy made good type of article.  Apparently the ref was born and bred in the local area and if I recall the article correctly  inferred  his early support for Dundee FC. 

My daughter's description of him being a homer was correct in more ways than one!!  She was also correct about us not winning. Think it finished 1-1.

2 hours ago, jaggy said:

That's right Fox got himself stupidly sent off and Gallagher came on and saved the penalty. Typical Jags display in a way. Absolutely coasting it then ending up glad to come away with a point.