SPFL Restructuring Document

javeajag

To those posters who have had the energy and determination to study this 'document' my undying admiration! 

I don't follow it at all but then gave up at Premier League 2.  Seems that someone is doing somersaults and splits to get 2 home games against the ugly sisters (4 in total)! 

When will the powers that be start thinking about what's good for Scottish Football. 

Two Leagues of 16 (premier & championship), League 1 of 14 underpinned by Highland and Lowland Leagues.  Would mean 37 league games. Each team plays home and away = 30 games. Split into two league of 8 = a further, 7 games total 37 games. 

Recognise above structure means a lot of movement in lower leagues to start but clubs will find their level over time. 

Simple structure

• Like 1

Far too convoluted. However I have some sympathies. Things are always going to be convoluted when the 4 x OF games are an immovable force.

There are two positives within the proposal. Firstly the split between top tier and 2nd top tier removes the current imbalance where some clubs have to play three times away and one time at home or vice versa. Secondly introducing regionalisation at a higher level could be the difference between survival and extinction for many part time clubs. At present the likes of Stranraer and Annan traveling to Peterhead and Elgin not just once but twice a season is nonsensical. Especially when it's virtually impossible to avoid these sort of fixtures in mid winter.

Well that's two positives (I suppose you could add a third, as the subject's being discussed) but the rest is mostly madness. 

15 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

To those posters who have had the energy and determination to study this 'document' my undying admiration! 

I don't follow it at all but then gave up at Premier League 2.  Seems that someone is doing somersaults and splits to get 2 home games against the ugly sisters (4 in total)! 

When will the powers that be start thinking about what's good for Scottish Football. 

Two Leagues of 16 (premier & championship), League 1 of 14 underpinned by Highland and Lowland Leagues.  Would mean 37 league games. Each team plays home and away = 30 games. Split into two league of 8 = a further, 7 games total 37 games. 

Recognise above structure means a lot of movement in lower leagues to start but clubs will find their level over time. 

Simple structure

Makes too much sense to me for it ever to be considered.

24 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I don’t really understand the desire or need for them to play each other 4 times. Their grounds are usually full anyway for other games(or at least paid for via season ticket sales).So is it TV that is pushing this ? Or maybe it is the usual other top 6 clubs ?

They probably need to stoke the rivalry to keep their non attending "supporters" buying tops, scarfs and other tasteful clothing lines to wear around the shopping centres.  Similar  reason not to be too proactive in addressing bigotry.

54 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I don’t really understand the desire or need for them to play each other 4 times. Their grounds are usually full anyway for other games(or at least paid for via season ticket sales).So is it TV that is pushing this ? Or maybe it is the usual other top 6 clubs ?

TV.

Noone in England is bothered about watching other Scottish games, but they get big viewing figures for OF games. Probably the same around the world. 

On 3/27/2020 at 12:31 PM, steve61 said:

Makes too much sense to me for it ever to be considered.

Unfortunately you are absolutely correct. 

Her Ladyship is also correct that the requirement for 4OF games has become an immovable object! 

I sometimes feel though that we are too quick to lay all of the blame on the TV Companies. 

Equally to blame are the likes of Stuart Milne (when he was in charge at Aberdeen) who repeated favoured any league structure that would give his club 2 home games each against Rangers and Celtic. Suspect Hibs, Hearts, Motherwell and the Dundee Clubs did the same. 

On the other hand most fans and a number of players have been crying out for years for a return to bigger leagues. Anyone in authority listening?