Classic Scottish Cup Finals

sandy

58 minutes ago, sandy said:

Interesting re-runs of the best cup games at the moment. This classic from 1991 was surely the best from the last 30 years?

Motherwell vs The Arabs: featuring young Phil O’Donnell, young Duncan Ferguson, the brilliant Davie Cooper and Jim McInally’s mullet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/52063379

When are they showing the 1921 final? Looking forward to watching it.

I picked up on my Youtube feed yesterday a video of Rangers v Thistle at Ibrox on New Year's Day 1972. We had the League Cup Final Line-up other than John Gibson for a presumably injured Jimmy Bone. Someone with better computer skills will maybe upload it here - though health warning  - it's from Rangers TV.

It's about 14 minutes of highlights taken from Scotsport with commentary by Alec Cameron. Our goal was posted on the Thistle Facebook/Twitter page yesterday as goal of the day - it was a belter with Alex Forsyth surging past John Greig and a flying header by Denis McQuade.

It's good to see that legendary side in action - but although I wasn't at that game and hadn't seen the highlights before, I definitely have seen the Movie - it doesn't have a happy ending.

2 hours ago, Winter of '63 said:

I picked up on my Youtube feed yesterday a video of Rangers v Thistle at Ibrox on New Year's Day 1972. We had the League Cup Final Line-up other than John Gibson for a presumably injured Jimmy Bone. Someone with better computer skills will maybe upload it here - though health warning  - it's from Rangers TV.

It's about 14 minutes of highlights taken from Scotsport with commentary by Alec Cameron. Our goal was posted on the Thistle Facebook/Twitter page yesterday as goal of the day - it was a belter with Alex Forsyth surging past John Greig and a flying header by Denis McQuade.

It's good to see that legendary side in action - but although I wasn't at that game and hadn't seen the highlights before, I definitely have seen the Movie - it doesn't have a happy ending.

I’ll never forget that game.

Thistle had of course already beaten the filth at Firhill in the 1st game of an incredible season. You forget just how good some of those players were.

We had played very well throughout.

I knew Dennis scored but couldn’t recall the goal. Wow! That was a great goal.

I was preparing my speech for filth supporting friends at school on the Monday. But.....

I do recall the end. We conceded an equaliser in the last minute. I couldn’t bear it, left and heard the death roar of their extra time winner on the staircase on the way out. I think it was fat Derek.

7 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

I’ll never forget that game.

Thistle had of course already beaten the filth at Firhill in the 1st game of an incredible season. You forget just how good some of those players were.

We had played very well throughout.

I knew Dennis scored but couldn’t recall the goal. Wow! That was a great goal.

I was preparing my speech for filth supporting friends at school on the Monday. But.....

I do recall the end. We conceded an equaliser in the last minute. I couldn’t bear it, left and heard the death roar of their extra time winner on the staircase on the way out. I think it was fat Derek.

I think it was mooted that the referee just kept time going until Rangers got the winner. 6 minutes injury time was unheard of then.

58 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

I think it was mooted that the referee just kept time going until Rangers got the winner. 6 minutes injury time was unheard of then.

I will never forget that one! As an 11 year old this was my first experience of what happens when you play rangers. I wasn't even at the game, my family had been out for New Years day dinner and were driving home whilst listening to match reports coming in on the radio.

In those days there was no live commentary it was just reports from the game so you can imagine my delight when the report from ibrox at around the 90 minute mark had Thistle winning 1-0, even more so as my father was a rangers fan. I can still recall a 2nd report from ibrox as the studio anchor said it's surely full time at ibrox and got the response that rangers had just sensationally equalised. Worse was to follow in what I was convinced was the 98th minute as the reporter almost beside himself with excitement announced that rangers had won it with the last kick of the ball. Boy but did my father enjoy that one :(

There haven't been many occasions where as a Jag I have felt more devastated and yes to this day I am convinced it was a case of keep playing until the h*ns score the winner.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Camallain said:

I will never forget that one! As an 11 year old this was my first experience of what happens when you play rangers. I wasn't even at the game, my family had been out for New Years day dinner and were driving home whilst listening to match reports coming in on the radio.

In those days there was no live commentary it was just reports from the game so you can imagine my delight when the report from ibrox at around the 90 minute mark had Thistle winning 1-0, even more so as my father was a rangers fan. I can still recall a 2nd report from ibrox as the studio anchor said it's surely full time at ibrox and got the response that rangers had just sensationally equalised. Worse was to follow in what I was convinced was the 98th minute as the reporter almost beside himself with excitement announced that rangers had won it with the last kick of the ball. Boy but did my father enjoy that one :(

There haven't been many occasions where as a Jag I have felt more devastated and yes to this day I am convinced it was a case of keep playing until the h*ns score the winner.

Stat's please - was the referee J.R.P. Gordon of Newport-on Tay? This guy invented (with the Govan s--t) what became later known in England as "Fergie Time". (In the days before - The referee has indicated there will be a minimum of X additional minutes). He had total control - the b-----d!

2 hours ago, QXBoy said:

Stat's please - was the referee J.R.P. Gordon of Newport-on Tay? This guy invented (with the Govan s--t) what became later known in England as "Fergie Time". (In the days before - The referee has indicated there will be a minimum of X additional minutes). He had total control - the b-----d!

JRP Gordon of Newport on Tay's day job  was working for a Dundee sweetie company. It was not an uncommon event for Mr JRP to hand out packets of his merchandise to grateful sports hacks reporting on the game he was refereeing. Literally a case of sweetening the press. 

don't know if this is appropriate , I don't expect to have any  old match footage available from   of our city neighbours (there used to be at least 4 ) that shows anything other than their victories .  This is particularly deja vu all over again it is if we have a patent on this bloody ending .     Thistle v Original Rangers 1972

Alex Cameron ( one of the original rangers pressmen place men) envelope in the his drawer every year of the league winners (was always rangers) , until he had to change it on the last day to Celtic 9 times  , if ever a horses arse did everyone a favour.

On 3/30/2020 at 7:32 PM, Winter of '63 said:

I think this was the game where the referee added on about 6/7 minutes of injury time and the Rangers goals shown as being scored in the 89th & 90th mins were actually scored in the 95th & 96th mins (or something like this). 

The following week in the press - The Monday Round-Up -! McParland still couldn't hide his anger with the ref. 

Apparently he asked the ref why he added on 6/7 mins of extra time and was told because of Thistle's time wasting.  An allegation which McParland flatly rejected and which made him even angrier and he commented "possession football is not time-wasting, we have the ball it's up to Rangers to come and get it"! 

The inference in the press was the ref was very partial towards Rangers and not wishing to exacerbate the situation the SFA let the matter slide otherwise McParland would have been punished for his remarks. 

We were cheated by a referee in yet another episode in a long line of refs partial to the ugly sisters! 

17 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I think this was the game where the referee added on about 6/7 minutes of injury time and the Rangers goals shown as being scored in the 89th & 90th mins were actually scored in the 95th & 96th mins (or something like this). 

The following week in the press - The Monday Round-Up -! McParland still couldn't hide his anger with the ref. 

Apparently he asked the ref why he added on 6/7 mins of extra time and was told because of Thistle's time wasting.  An allegation which McParland flatly rejected and which made him even angrier and he commented "possession football is not time-wasting, we have the ball it's up to Rangers to come and get it"! 

The inference in the press was the ref was very partial towards Rangers and not wishing to exacerbate the situation the SFA let the matter slide otherwise McParland would have been punished for his remarks. 

We were cheated by a referee in yet another episode in a long line of refs partial to the ugly sisters! 

We dream of cup wins etc., but top of my more 'realistic' wishes, is being at a game where we beat that mob. 

47 minutes ago, banderas said:

don't know if this is appropriate , I don't expect to have any  old match footage available from   of our city neighbours (there used to be at least 4 ) that shows anything other than their victories .  This is particularly deja vu all over again it is if we have a patent on this bloody ending .     Thistle v Original Rangers 1972

Alex Cameron ( one of the original rangers pressmen place men) envelope in the his drawer every year of the league winners (was always rangers) , until he had to change it on the last day to Celtic 9 times  , if ever a horses arse did everyone a favour.

Heart-breaking ending (as it has so often been against the two erse cheeks), but great to see what was virtually the League Cup-winning team (Jimmy Bone absent). Coulston had so much energy!

Alex Cameron when Roughie saved: "Rough came off the 8-yard line!" :blink:

17 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Correction to my earlier post! 

I was at that game and there was about 5/6 mins between the Rangers goals. 

However you are dead right the Referee did play 6/7 mins ofi njury time which as you say was unheard of at that time.  You   can see from the highlights that there was no time wasting by The Jags and that the players were dead on their feet for the last 10 minutes or so. Why that was I don't know. 

My feelings on leaving the ground were on the one hand disgust (with the ref) and regret that Bone was injured. With him playing we would have won. No Jimmy Bone meant Frank Coulsdon wasn't as effective as normal!! 

17 hours ago, banderas said:

at least this one is a draw 

Brain Moore presents Morton versus Thistle 

andy ritchie  being andy ritchie and alan rough being alan rough  including a Montford stramash  .if you want a giggle switch on the CC to interpret Montford's commentary .

My earliest memories are of that team and oh how I loved that kit:thumbsup:

• Like 1