Move to Firhill

scotty

Interesting that the article describes Thistle initially as rent-paying tenants of Firhill, which is consistent with my research into the title deeds. I had been surprised that the first title mentioned in name of Thistle was in 1916, notwithstanding that the club moved to Firhill in 1909.

It can take 7 years to transfer a title to Firhill Stadium!!

Was there not something vaguely disturbing about the Firhill purchase involving Rangers (1872 version) and the Caledonian Railway and a mutual director and the fact that we were no longer wanted south of the river?

Legal  issues could well have delayed property transactions for that length of time I suspect!

34 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

Was there not something vaguely disturbing about the Firhill purchase involving Rangers (1872 version) and the Caledonian Railway and a mutual director and the fact that we were no longer wanted south of the river?

Legal  issues could well have delayed property transactions for that length of time I suspect!

Were we ever South of the river? 

I thought we played North of the river  near Whiteinch and had to vacate our ground because the land was needed as the site for a new ship building yard. 

Will need to take a closer look at the club history again! 

10 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm fairly sure we only played north of the river. Partick , Meadowside  & somewhere around the north entrance to the tunnel perhaps. 

We played at Inchview, which was around Balshagray Avenue. Also Jordanvale,which I think was Whiteinch. Only played games at Ibrox during our homeless season. The Rangers chairman at the time had connections to the railway company and he helped the negotiations to buy the land at Firhill.

2 hours ago, Blackpool Jags said:

So, it turns out our immortal Red'n'Yella was indirectly lifted from the 'FC'! :unsure:

Always led to believe it was because we needed a change and adopted the West of Scotland Rugby Club hooped jerseys as our new colours. I believe this was in late 20's early 30's, long after Partick FC went out of existence. 

26 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Always led to believe it was because we needed a change and adopted the West of Scotland Rugby Club hooped jerseys as our new colours. I believe this was in late 20's early 30's, long after Partick FC went out of existence. 

That's always been my understanding too, and it is true; however, according to the link I put up, West of Scotland RUFC derived the red & yellow themselves from Partick FC. Therefore, we indirectly acquired our famous hoops from our erstwhile Partick neighbours, apparently. 

2 hours ago, Blackpool Jags said:

So, it turns out our immortal Red'n'Yella was indirectly lifted from the 'FC'! :unsure:

no.

'before the club reverted to the predominantly blue kits in 1909. In season 1936–37 they changed to, and settled upon, the red-yellow-and-black attire for which they are best known, this change having been triggered initially by the club borrowing kits from the local rugby union team, West of Scotland.'

If you google Partick Thistle you will find more of the same

3 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

no.

'before the club reverted to the predominantly blue kits in 1909. In season 1936–37 they changed to, and settled upon, the red-yellow-and-black attire for which they are best known, this change having been triggered initially by the club borrowing kits from the local rugby union team, West of Scotland.'

If you google Partick Thistle you will find more of the same

That's right, but according to this Wiki article, WoSRUFC derived the colours from Partick FC.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partick_F.C.

1 hour ago, Blackpool Jags said:

That's right, but according to this Wiki article, WoSRUFC derived the colours from Partick FC.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partick_F.C.

I have to say first off, I am not historian of PFC, PTFC or WoSRFC.

The rugby club [formed 1865] used to play in blue until 1871 when they decided to switch to red and yellow. Partick FC were formed in 1875 [according to wiki] so if PFC played in yellow and red, it may have been influenced by WoSRFC playing in those colours, not the other way.        https://www.westofscotlandfc.co.uk/about/club-history/

PTFC for a time played in blue shirts, and I believe white sleeves [a bit like the Hibernian strip today] and only in the 1930's did they start wearing a red and yellow strip and that colour combination came from an association [or simply borrowing strips?] from WoSRFC

definitely around 1914 -- here's a link to the Glasgow story website -- it has the evaluation rolls for 1913-1914 

image.thumb.png.de793161744c4e4ad7c17ac151f60670.png

image.thumb.png.f7273711d451e08183433383801ac624.png

and a little review of firhill staduim 

https://www.theglasgowstory.com/image/?inum=TGSA00549&t=2

Crowds gathering outside Firhill Stadium, home of Partick Thistle FC, in April, 1958. The two-tier grandstand pictured here (built in 1927) is recognisable today, although other parts of the stadium have been transformed.

Partick Thistle FC was founded in the Burgh of Partick in 1876. Over the next thirty-three years the club played on several grounds, including one near the site on which the Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery was built; another which became the location of the Whiteinch tramway terminus; and one on the banks of the Clyde at Meadowside. After the latter was acquired in 1908 for D & W Henderson's shipyard, Thistle built a new stadium next to the Firhill Basin on the Forth & Clyde Canal, and began playing there at the start of the 1909-1910 season. The stadium has hosted an international match (Scotland v Ireland in 1928) and floodlights were installed in 1955.

Over the years, "The Jags" have acquired a reputation for unpredictable, sometimes eccentric football. The club's two major honours were both won against the odds. In 1921 the Scottish Cup came to Firhill after a 1-0 victory over Rangers in the final. An even greater shock came in 1971, when an all-conquering Celtic team was defeated 4-1 in the final of the Scottish League Cup.

Reference: Mitchell Library, Glasgow Collection

Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning

Keywords:
D & W Henderson, Firhill Basin, Firhill Stadium, football, football supporters, Forth & Clyde Canal, grandstands, Jags, Partick Thistle FC, police, Scottish Cup, Scottish League Cup, stadiums, stadia

10 hours ago, Blackpool Jags said:

That's always been my understanding too, and it is true; however, according to the link I put up, West of Scotland RUFC derived the red & yellow themselves from Partick FC. Therefore, we indirectly acquired our famous hoops from our erstwhile Partick neighbours, apparently. 

Ah. Right. Makes sense.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 1:49 PM, scotty said:

More that might be of interest:-

http://glasgowpunter.blogspot.com/2013/04/partick-thistle-early-grounds.html