Season tickets will bomb if relegated

Bobbyhouston

6 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Season ticket sales may well suffer because of the wider picture here.

It shouldn't be forgotten that there may be a fair number of current season ticket holders who won't be able to afford to renew because of the economic impact of the pandemic on their jobs and incomes.

Very true and good point- though we definitely would not be the only club in that situation 

Edited by Third Lanark

2 hours ago, Bobbyhouston said:

Lockdown hasn’t improved your jokes I see 

Any chance you could change your name? One of my favourite players was Bobby Houston whereas you are my least favourite poster. You're kinda tarnishing his name....unless you really are Bobby? 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Very true and good point- though we definitely would not be the only club in that situation 

Putting league status decisions aside every club will be worse off because a good chunk of their support will be suffering hardship. What is unknown is which clubs will routinely spend above their means and which ones will compete on a realistically scaled down level. That's one reason I'm slightly uneasy about the Club setting ST prices just now.  

4 hours ago, laukat said:

Brechin are saved by this proposal. They stated that there will be no relagation or promotion into the SPFL so Brechin will vot quite happily for this.

As far as I can see the only definte no votes are us, Hearts, Stranraer and Falkirk. Rangers will only vote no if the know it will pass despite public statements.

Think Aberdeen and Hibs are no as well if you believe the media, also if they don’t finish the season, all the season ticket holder should will be looking for some sort of recompense.

Going to be messy 

Edited by jlsarmy

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Season ticket sales may well suffer because of the wider picture here.

It shouldn't be forgotten that there may be a fair number of current season ticket holders who won't be able to afford to renew because of the economic impact of the pandemic on their jobs and incomes.

Also there are some saying even if we get it under control in summer, there could be another wave in October/November. If this did happen even if football had started by then, it could be put on hold for another number of months.

Putting aside the issue of buying a season ticket, if Doncaster & Co get their way I notice that seven of our nine competitors play on artificial surfaces. Regardless of what you think of plastic pitches (I dislike them intensely) I believe such surfaces have a tendency of levelling out games. Raith, who play on grass, being currently top of the division allay my fears somewhat, but we'd be kidding ourselves that we'll bounce back at the first go. Indeed that achievement would be difficult enough if all away games were on grass.  

Season ticket renewed last week.

Why?    How other clubs could vote - and it has now turned out to look very detrimental to us, barring a restructure of the leagues - was never going to have a bearing on what this club means to me.

It is very easy to feel cheated at the moment and thinking about giving up.  However, although other clubs and the  governing body may be able to relegate us, don't let them kill us.

At this difficult time it not be possible for everyone that usually commits to a season ticket can do, however even any game anyone can manage will help.

We will bounce back.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Jagsfan58 said:

Season ticket renewed last week.

Why?    How other clubs could vote - and it has now turned out to look very detrimental to us, barring a restructure of the leagues - was never going to have a bearing on what this club means to me.

It is very easy to feel cheated at the moment and thinking about giving up.  However, although other clubs and the  governing body may be able to relegate us, don't let them kill us.

At this difficult time it not be possible for everyone that usually commits to a season ticket can do, however even any game anyone can manage will help.

We will bounce back.

Well said.

I've largely kept out of this till now. However, I think that the club's approach is largely the right one.

Firstly, while we like acting as if somehow it's personal, it's not. Had we beaten Queens and gone into the lockdown in 11th, I suspect we would have voted for the motion. I also suspect that many spitting feathers now would have agreed that it was the pragmatic approach, and that we shouldn't be voting for the "common good" when our position in the Championship was on the line and could be secured by a simple vote. Most clubs who voted yes are living hand-to-mouth and are barely surviving anyway. To be honest, I don't blame the likes of Albion Rovers or Montrose for wanting to do their best to ensure that their clubs have a future.

My first reaction was, like most, lets cause as much trouble as we can and throw a bomb under the rest of them. But what will this actually achieve, other than possibly put a few small clubs out of business (who have essentially been held to ransom) with the knock on effect of putting (blameless) people out of work at a time when there is precious little other work?

Of course, the SPFL board has acted reprehensibly. And I don't see myself ever going to Dens for as long as I live.

Maybe we will get restructuring (though I'm not too confident). But, whatever league we're in, I think we're best keeping our funds to try and get out of it (upwards!), rather than spaff it on lawyers.

I'll renew my season ticket.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I've largely kept out of this till now. However, I think that the club's approach is largely the right one.

Firstly, while we like acting as if somehow it's personal, it's not. Had we beaten Queens and gone into the lockdown in 11th, I suspect we would have voted for the motion. I also suspect that many spitting feathers now would have agreed that it was the pragmatic approach, and that we shouldn't be voting for the "common good" when our position in the Championship was on the line and could be secured by a simple vote. Most clubs who voted yes are living hand-to-mouth and are barely surviving anyway. To be honest, I don't blame the likes of Albion Rovers or Montrose for wanting to do their best to ensure that their clubs have a future.

My first reaction was, like most, lets cause as much trouble as we can and throw a bomb under the rest of them. But what will this actually achieve, other than possibly put a few small clubs out of business (who have essentially been held to ransom) with the knock on effect of putting (blameless) people out of work at a time when there is precious little other work?

Of course, the SPFL board has acted reprehensibly. And I don't see myself ever going to Dens for as long as I live.

Maybe we will get restructuring (though I'm not too confident). But, whatever league we're in, I think we're best keeping our funds to try and get out of it (upwards!), rather than spaff it on lawyers.

Agreed and on your last point, remember what happened last time we took them to court - it turned out they were allowed to make the rules up as they went along.  We wasted £50k then that could have been better spent on the team (though the management team we had then would probably have wasted it).

3 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

The decision in the Queens game , penalty given then the officials changed their mind , how much has that cost us ?

I think all teams will find season ticket sales down. Nobody knows when the season will start, how long it will last, it could be  cut short again. Also a lot of people might not have the spare cash. Clubs might need to offer some extra incentives to encourage people to buy tickets.

6 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

As long as this lockdown/ social distancing continues then football will be in abeyance. The likelihood is that no matter what they try to push in season tickets it will not be enough for clubs who are on the edge. I think we will see some clubs go out of business. 

The difficulty of clubs getting in season ticket money now is that they use it to keep themselves afloat but have no cash left for an extended shut-down or to build squads when football does return.

I've not renewed yet due mostly down to rather minor cash flow reasons. I now have tho' an element of indifference about buying a season ticket for next season. Maybe I'm a strange breed but if I stop going to most away games then I may not feel like going to every. or near every, home game. As it is I rarely miss an away game and attend all home games. Besides the reluctance to give several clubs any money whatsoever I've already noted (as did Legend Blows) that seven of our likely competitors play on artificial surfaces. So with me a growing indifference to attending away games spills over into my appetite for routinely attending home games. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

If I can hold onto my job (And my house) with COVID & the current oil crisis the plan is to buy for this season. 
Although I’ve publicly stated I won’t back the club whilst Low is there, this is exceptional times and short term survival of our club is paramount. Whilst I may not be able to attend much (currently I can’t leave Norway if I wished) when I do get back, I hope there is a club to attend and as many of us as possible survive this situation 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 12:26 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I've not renewed yet due mostly down to rather minor cash flow reasons. I now have tho' an element of indifference about buying a season ticket for next season. Maybe I'm a strange breed but if I stop going to most away games then I may not feel like going to every. or near every, home game. As it is I rarely miss an away game and attend all home games. Besides the reluctance to give several clubs any money whatsoever I've already noted (as did Legend Blows) that seven of our likely competitors play on artificial surfaces. So with me a growing indifference to attending away games spills over into my appetite for routinely attending home games. 

Sad to read this LIB, think you will be back asap.!