Summer Football .

paddy malarkey

I reckon that we should use this hiatus to fully consider moving to a summer league . Could finish this season June/July , new campaign August - October,  break from November to March , then the rest of the games thereafter . I don't see many Thistle players getting international recognition , but games in higher divisions would have to be arranged around Euro 2021 and the World Cup 2022 . Going by what I've read , it looks ike we'll be playing in the summer anyway .

Preaching to the converted. I love watching football on Sunny days or crisp evenings in August when the parks are pristine and there is no need for crappy artificial surfaces.  I have about another million reasons for wanting football in the Summer time.  Won,t happen!  Far to many traditionalist who love walking to the game in a freezing bollocks gale.:fan:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, topcat said:

Preaching to the converted. I love watching football on Sunny days or crisp evenings in August when the parks are pristine and there is no need for crappy artificial surfaces.  I have about another million reasons for wanting football in the Summer time.  Won,t happen!  Far to many traditionalist who love walking to the game in a freezing bollocks gale.:fan:

This is a Glasgow summer. You will still get that

Football is probably only going to resume when it usually does for a new season.

If the social distancing measures are in place until the Autumn and this season completed, it might then be worth considering starting the next season in March. But I think clubs will need income.

I've never been in favour of summer football. There's less postponements these days plus I would suggest most fans buy season tickets in the hope that they'll get their money's worth. Also I'd much rather see the season end in the usually more benign weather conditions of late Spring.

However all that reasoning comes a far second to us (Scottish Football) getting out of this largely in tact. If needs be and all that. I don't want to see any club go out of business due to a totally unforeseen cash flow difficulty.  I'm far from clear tho' how summer football will help in that respect. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Many football fans live on nostalgia. We talk always about players in the past also the great games in the past Football has changed, we do not play 2-3-5 anymore, players are not told to go out and enjoy yourselves, they are given certain roles to play and by god they better do it. Scottish football is on a downward trend and something is needed to correct it and summer football would be a start. Ireland has moved the season to summer and difference to the play and attendances has been fantastic. I believe our season  been damaged partly to playing in the winter. Gary signed players who were too  light and lacking in strength for the conditions. I gave up in going to football in the winter, sitting shivering even with about three layer of clothing is not for me and I am sure for many other fans

• Like 5

On 4/10/2020 at 10:29 AM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I've never been in favour of summer football. There's less postponements these days plus I would suggest most fans buy season tickets in the hope that they'll get their money's worth. Also I'd much rather see the season end in the usually more benign weather conditions of late Spring.

However all that reasoning comes a far second to us (Scottish Football) getting out of this largely in tact. If needs be and all that. I don't want to see any club go out of business due to a totally unforeseen cash flow difficulty.  I'm far from clear tho' how summer football will help in that respect. 

I think the Summer football idea is possibly a suggestion that if the lockdown finishes in say June,July or August finish off season 19/20 have a couple of weeks break and go straight into a shortened league 20/21 maybe with only 27 games

Edited by topcat

I think if the Juniors played summer football for a couple of seasons then we could look at their attendances and see if there is any significant increase then we could to look move to Summer football{ Obviously someone would have to underwrite this.}  I understand some of the reasoning against this, i.e. Players going on holiday, Pitches not recovering in winter months. But I feel certain most Junior clubs would see a large increase in attendances. Towards the end of the Junior season I find myself at Lochburn on Summer evenings as Maryhill always have a backlog of fixtures.

On 4/9/2020 at 10:58 PM, topcat said:

You do realise our season (normally) starts mid-July? Can't get much more summer than that. 

1 hour ago, topcat said:

Yep. Start in early March. Finished for end of October. Shorter season but play more midweek games. Toasty

So essentially you're proposing that we're all bored out of our tits for over 4 months in the middle of winter when there's generally hee-haw to do. At least Scotland never qualify for the World Cup or Euros. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, allyo said:

Winter weekends I'm absolute desperate to get outside and the football allows me to do that. Frankly I need football in winter way more than I do in summer 

Yep, agree with this. 

But I once went to a midweek game at Central Park (Cowdenbeath) when it was -6C. That was cold. 

14 hours ago, allyo said:

Winter weekends I'm absolute desperate to get outside and the football allows me to do that. Frankly I need football in winter way more than I do in summer 

We shou;ld look at having a link in with other sports which are ideal for the winter months. Basketball and ice-hockey come to mind.