Thistle And Boys Brigade

Woodstock Jag

Well done Niall Rolland and everyone at the club who forged this excellent partnership.

Clouston Street, St.Columba's or N.K. pitches in the morning then off to the big match in the afternoon. What better way to promote habits of obedience, reverence, discipline and self-respect?

1st Glasgow. The original and still the best! :thumbsup2:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all surprising, W. Lothian's chocca with h*ns :P .

When I was growin' up you only joined the BBs if you were a H*n, and any tims interested didn't get in so went and joined the scouts, having been raised a prod I was sent to the BBs, two nights and never seen a fitba once, so I never went back.

When I was growin' up you only joined the BBs if you were a H*n, and any tims interested didn't get in so went and joined the scouts, having been raised a prod I was sent to the BBs, two nights and never seen a fitba once, so I never went back.

I think a fairer generalisation would be "if you were a proddy" as I believe there was a strong Church of Scotland link with the BB. I didn't go myself and was briefly in the cubs which particular group seemed to have a connection with the local catholic church, though quite a few of the boys in it weren't catholics. My dad was a proddy but not CoS, one of the wee brethern sects but - oddly for one of these wee sects he wasn't a bigoted anti-catholic so didn't mind the connection. (If he'd met the priest he'd have taken a bible out and tried to convert him - Jehovah's Witnesses used to put special marks up to warn their mates to avoid our house).

Anyway I didn't last long ...

Edited by Mr Bunny

As a complete diddy at football, I hung aboot(hid)at right back while Johnny Wark honed his skills in the 141 (Scotstoun West) BB team.

Remember Jags playing on a Friday and me getting back to the Church Hall just in time to get my half mark for attendance after "visiting ma granny" so I could get my Good Attendance prize at the Annual Display.

There were at least 6 Jags fans in our Company, a Hibie, a Tim and rest were h*ns or didnae bother.

Edited by Wiltshire Jag

I think a fairer generalisation would be "if you were a proddy" as I believe there was a strong Church of Scotland link with the BB. I didn't go myself and was briefly in the cubs which particular group seemed to have a connection with the local catholic church, though quite a few of the boys in it weren't catholics. My dad was a proddy but not CoS, one of the wee brethern sects but - oddly for one of these wee sects he wasn't a bigoted anti-catholic so didn't mind the connection. (If he'd met the priest he'd have taken a bible out and tried to convert him - Jehovah's Witnesses used to put special marks up to warn their mates to avoid our house).

Anyway I didn't last long ...

Is it not the Cubs and Scouts that make you swear to do your duty to God and to the Queen?

I never had to swear allegance to either in the BB's

Michty me! I probably played for 3rd BB around about that time. 2nd had a cracking team although I'm pretty sure half of them had beards ya cheats!

Where did you guys play and more to the point was it ash or grass? We had a splendid grass pitch.

2nd Bearsden for me too, although we were bottom of the league regulars in my day, and I was usually only on the bench 

Cup of warm orange squash at half time? The only thing that would get me through away games on iced up ash pitches.

1st Bearsden for me from JBB right up to officer, our JBB had 3 teams. My main memory as goalkeeper in the 2nd team was playing on full sized pitches (Thorn Park anyone?) We were so wee corners had to be taken from the junction of the 18 yarde box & goal line & goalies were easy to lob!!

Is it not the Cubs and Scouts that make you swear to do your duty to God and to the Queen?

I never had to swear allegance to either in the BB's

Since they were founded by Baden-Powell as part of the Empire propaganda (as well as to be fair a genuine way of encouraging kids to some healthy and useful activities) I've no doubt that was compulsory in the early days but later on it must have much depended on the local scout leaders. In the west of Scotland in the cubs in the early 60s - where as has been said Catholic kids would go cause they couldn't get into the BB - especially in a group that used halls owned by the local Catholic church I don't think it would be likely and I don't recall it.

I do recall once our group acting as a 'guard of honour' (9, 10 and 11 year olds, some guard) or something at (if memory serves a wedding but I could be wrong as it often doesn't) and wondering about fancy dress of the priest and the wine and wafers - and whether we'd get any.

Edited by Mr Bunny

All my interest in uniformed youth organisations went straight out the window after I was drummed out of the Hitler Youth in '44 for not polishing my jackboots.

Imagine my surprise, having not seen anyone from old Wolfpack 66 for decades, when I bumped into an old comrade last week in Glasgow's southside! He's done rather well for himself; bit of a jetsetter now. He was dressed all in white, but then he always was a bit of a poseur. He refused my invite to the next Jags game due to work commitments but he says he still feels that Firhill is his spiritual home and that I should pass on his blessings, (whatever that means) to everyone connected with the club.

Damned if I can remember his name, though. I must be getting old.

All my interest in uniformed youth organisations went straight out the window after I was drummed out of the Hitler Youth in '44 for not polishing my jackboots.

Imagine my surprise, having not seen anyone from old Wolfpack 66 for decades, when I bumped into an old comrade last week in Glasgow's southside! He's done rather well for himself; bit of a jetsetter now. He was dressed all in white, but then he always was a bit of a poseur. He refused my invite to the next Jags game due to work commitments but he says he still feels that Firhill is his spiritual home and that I should pass on his blessings, (whatever that means) to everyone connected with the club.

Damned if I can remember his name, though. I must be getting old.

:D