Jaggernaut

2 hours ago, laukat said:

Trying to be positive - you could make a reasonable starting 11 out of that

Fox

Williamson-Brownlie-O'Ware-Penrice

Zannata-Gordon-Bannigan-Lyons

Graham-Rudden

Subs: Mansell, Niang. Sneddon

Not fussed about Cardle going. In my opinion he would have been leaving no matter what league we were in. Also if we're in league 1 then its time for Sneddon to step up and we let Fox go.

On the less positive side, I can't see how we afford that team in League 1 so either they all take reduced wages or the better ones will go (Graham, Rudden) to be replaced by loan signings to limit the wage cost and contractural tie ins.

Apart from Lyons that is basically the team that got us relegated, not sure there is a winning mentality amongst that lot .

8 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Given the circumstances I guess we all know it's kinda daft talking about what team we could put out. But it's a football forum, so why not.

I think Cardle was a significant part of the problem last season. He has the enthusiasm, decent stamina and experience so was difficult to leave out. However on the minus side, and probably thru age, he was a bit of a one trick pony. Cutting in from the left onto his right foot for a shot or chip being that trick. Just maybe stuck out on the right he could feed Williamson to deliver was another plus but that was rare. No one can accuse Joe of hiding but sometimes I wish he'd not accept every ball that came in his direction. When he dummied the ball for Jones to score at Cappielow it was so out of character I remarked about it at the time. Not a greedy player as such just thinks he's always best placed to be on the ball.

Btw I'd add Dean Watson onto Laukat's list. Might even be a better option on occasions than Zanatta. McIntyre's another who should be OK as a back up centreback or maybe in a back three. He may tho' be out of contract. Sena, Watson & McIntyre are certainly up to the job physically. 

I would maybe add Andy Rodden to that list if he’s over his injury.

11 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

You’re right, hadn’t included Niang , no idea how we get rid of some of these players who’ll be on decent money Fox , Bannigan , Graham , O’Ware etc , unless they’ve got  relegation clauses in their contracts. 

Wouldn’t want rid of Graham.  Would be doing my best to keep him along with Rudden, Brownlie and Lyons. They have only played about 5 games for the club and certainly not to blame for the appalling form of the last few years.

if cardle leaves frees up hid wage I’d be using it to try to keep the 4 mentioned.

pretty sure though could be wrong Fox will leave, so that would be a high wage off the list and wouldn’t be overly fussed if oware and Banzo did leave 

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Wouldn’t want rid of Graham.  Would be doing my best to keep him along with Rudden, Brownlie and Lyons. They have only played about 5 games for the club and certainly not to blame for the appalling form of the last few years.

if cardle leaves frees up hid wage I’d be using it to try to keep the 4 mentioned.

pretty sure though could be wrong Fox will leave, so that would be a high wage off the list and wouldn’t be overly fussed if oware and Banzo did leave 

Next season is Banzo’s testimonial year , doubt he’ll be leaving.

I only saw Cardle in a few Home games plus I think at a couple of away games. Possibly he wasn't at his best in these games because at times I didn't even notice he was on the park!  Similarly, Zanatti

Showing my years but I recall the manager of Nottingham Forrest justify the transfer of Jim Baxter (THE Jim Baxter) by describing him as a luxury they couldn't afford. Watching Cardle and Zanatta reminded me of that statement! 

Would be happy to see them both go! 

That would leave a place for Docherty in DP's Team! 

27 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Listening to Kieran macguire on gms this morning.....Scotland has the highest dependence on matchday revenues of all 55 UEFA countries .....at an average of 45%  of revenue with Rangers at 60% and Celtic  at 52%

That's quite astonishing, if accurate.

I think I asked before: Iceland has a population smaller than Edinburgh, yet it runs a professional and competitive football league. Their crowds must be tiny. I guess they get sponsored to the hilt, maybe because there are fewer sports competing for money. 

1 minute ago, Jaggernaut said:

I think I asked before: Iceland has a population smaller than Edinburgh, yet it runs a professional and competitive football league. Their crowds must be tiny. I guess they get sponsored to the hilt, maybe because there are fewer sports competing for money. 

Players aren't full time and not paid anywhere near as much as a Division 1 player (Comparable with average national wage)

56 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

The numbers are accurate but only for the Premiership to be clear ......but does highlight the crisis facing the game 

Edited by javeajag

If the job retention scheme is reduced from 80% to 60% will that start to see some clubs struggle?

Clyde's statment implies they are dependent on the scheme and reliant on donations to keep going to offset matchday income. Can't imagine they are unique and the 20% drop will have some impact on the abilty of fans to donate as well as their ability to retain their own staff.

4 hours ago, laukat said:

If the job retention scheme is reduced from 80% to 60% will that start to see some clubs struggle?

Clyde's statment implies they are dependent on the scheme and reliant on donations to keep going to offset matchday income. Can't imagine they are unique and the 20% drop will have some impact on the abilty of fans to donate as well as their ability to retain their own staff.

It’s now 80% till October or I guess earlier if teams start playing 

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

It’s now 80% till October or I guess earlier if teams start playing 

that's not quite right in terms of the clubs

It is 80% until October in the employees/players hands, however after end of July, the cost burden is to be shared between employer/club and government - details awaited

Edited by jaf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jaf said:

that's not quite right in terms of the clubs

It is 80% until October in the employees/players hands, however after end of July, the cost burden is to be shared between employer/club and government - details awaited

what we know so far ....

Mr Sunak said the scheme would continue in its present form until the end of July but would be amended between August and the end of October to “provide greater flexibility to support the transition back to work”.

Between August and October he would for the first time allow payments to furloughed staff working part-time — a core demand of the Labour party, trade unions and employers.

Separately, Mr Sunak said that from August he would ask employers to share the cost with the taxpayer of the job retention scheme, although employees would continue to receive the same 80 per cent of their salary.

He said details would be announced by the end of the month but his allies confirmed the taxpayer would continue to pay the “bulk” of the costs of the scheme.

6 hours ago, javeajag said:

what we know so far ....

Mr Sunak said the scheme would continue in its present form until the end of July but would be amended between August and the end of October to “provide greater flexibility to support the transition back to work”.

Between August and October he would for the first time allow payments to furloughed staff working part-time — a core demand of the Labour party, trade unions and employers.

Separately, Mr Sunak said that from August he would ask employers to share the cost with the taxpayer of the job retention scheme, although employees would continue to receive the same 80 per cent of their salary.

He said details would be announced by the end of the month but his allies confirmed the taxpayer would continue to pay the “bulk” of the costs of the scheme.

That’s what I said! In three paragraphs less! 

3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Do clubs with artificial pitches have an advantage ? presumably we will need to keep the grass at Firhill in good condition, while less maintenance (and therefore less cost) is required for an artificial surface.

Slightly on a tangent. I assume most clubs who own their ground with artificial pitches rent them out, and I'd also assume that sort of business enjoys considerable repeat/regular custom. Pre virus, pitch hire was probably looked on as a reasonably secure income stream.