Linesman?

QXBoy

I wonder if anyone else noticed the incident about 30 minutes into the Dundee streamed match. The Dundee left back fires the ball over, too strong and the ball goes out for a shy near to the players tunnel. Amazingly the linesman, close to where the ball crosses the line indicates a throw-in to Dundee, but is over-ruled correctly by the referee. Stuart Bannigan in summary suggests that because a Dundee player made no effort to stop the ball crossing the line, that the linesman assumed that the ball must have come off a Thistle player. The interesting point of this that it happened to be the same linesman who denied Kris Doolan's goal against Morton when he flagged for a throw-in to Thistle, presumably because a Morton player hoofed the ball out the park and he assumed the ball had not crossed the goal line. Remember the name (Jordan Stokoe) and watch out for him in future (in the event that football ever restarts).  

Please don't add to my conspiracy theory that there are a significant number of officials who have it in for the Jags! 

I have been watching Thistle for over 50 years and have been giving officials, for the past 6/7 years, the benefit of the doubt that they are just the poorest bunch I have ever seen.  Putting the 'big' decisions to one side, for example, the non- goal v Morton, the changed penalty decision v Ross County, I have begun to wonder!

In almost every game I have attended I have noticed very clear differences in officials general approach to the game in relation to  the number of run of the mill decisions that go against us while similar decisions are not given in our favour.  

This results in not winning or losing possession of the ball and slowly but surely increases pressure and frustration on the players! You see this in European games with our Glasgow neighbours where they don't receive the usual preferential treatment from foreign referees! 

6 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Please don't add to my conspiracy theory that there are a significant number of officials who have it in for the Jags! 

I have been watching Thistle for over 50 years and have been giving officials, for the past 6/7 years, the benefit of the doubt that they are just the poorest bunch I have ever seen.  Putting the 'big' decisions to one side, for example, the non- goal v Morton, the changed penalty decision v Ross County, I have begun to wonder!

In almost every game I have attended I have noticed very clear differences in officials general approach to the game in relation to  the number of run of the mill decisions that go against us while similar decisions are not given in our favour.  

This results in not winning or losing possession of the ball and slowly but surely increases pressure and frustration on the players! You see this in European games with our Glasgow neighbours where they don't receive the usual preferential treatment from foreign referees! 

Point me to a supporter of any club who doesn't think that the officials are generally against them

19 hours ago, QXBoy said:

Just to clarify, when I started this thread I wasn't suggesting conspiracies, just total incompetence.

I'm afraid that's most likely the answer.  The bosses are incompetent and that filters through the system such that it doesn't attract the sharpest minds.

On 5/10/2020 at 6:56 AM, QXBoy said:

I wonder if anyone else noticed the incident about 30 minutes into the Dundee streamed match. The Dundee left back fires the ball over, too strong and the ball goes out for a shy near to the players tunnel. Amazingly the linesman, close to where the ball crosses the line indicates a throw-in to Dundee, but is over-ruled correctly by the referee. Stuart Bannigan in summary suggests that because a Dundee player made no effort to stop the ball crossing the line, that the linesman assumed that the ball must have come off a Thistle player. The interesting point of this that it happened to be the same linesman who denied Kris Doolan's goal against Morton when he flagged for a throw-in to Thistle, presumably because a Morton player hoofed the ball out the park and he assumed the ball had not crossed the goal line. Remember the name (Jordan Stokoe) and watch out for him in future (in the event that football ever restarts).  

Re the Doolin Goal that never was! 

I came across a video, think on you tube, of that goal and the camera angle  looks through the goal directly toward the linesman. From memory you see what I assume is the ball passing at speed, the net shaking quite aggressively and if you look closely the linesman/assistant raising his flag! I also recall the Morton player booting the bouncing ball out of play. Pity he didn't do so from hand in which case it would have been a penalty! 

33 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Re the Doolin Goal that never was! 

I came across a video, think on you tube, of that goal and the camera angle  looks through the goal directly toward the linesman. From memory you see what I assume is the ball passing at speed, the net shaking quite aggressively and if you look closely the linesman/assistant raising his flag! I also recall the Morton player booting the bouncing ball out of play. Pity he didn't do so from hand in which case it would have been a penalty! 

I thought that the linesman raised his flag after the defender kicked the ball out. Memory not very good though so could be wrong.

Going way back to the infamous Dundee United goal that never was, I think something similar happened there. Didn't the defender (Craig?) pick the ball up and the ref (Mottram?) waved play on? I could be completely wrong (see memory reference in paragraph one).

8 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

I thought that the linesman raised his flag after the defender kicked the ball out. Memory not very good though so could be wrong.

Going way back to the infamous Dundee United goal that never was, I think something similar happened there. Didn't the defender (Craig?) pick the ball up and the ref (Mottram?) waved play on? I could be completely wrong (see memory reference in paragraph one).

The difference between the goals was that when DU scored we had rear stanchions which weren't that far behind the goal line, and the ball came off of that at speed, so probably a bit more difficult to spot than it hitting the net when Dools scored. It was still a shocker though as everyone else in the ground knew that DU had scored. It made no difference as I think they ended up scoring 4 that day. Mottram certainly made up for his howler 'that' night at Tannadice  :mad2:

BTW BB, Martin Clark picked up or caught the ball and threw it to Andy Murdoch who booted it up the park, obviously expecting us to kick off

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

The difference between the goals was that when DU scored we had rear stanchions which weren't that far behind the goal line, and the ball came off of that at speed, so probably a bit more difficult to spot than it hitting the net when Dools scored. It was still a shocker though as everyone else in the ground knew that DU had scored. It made no difference as I think they ended up scoring 4 that day. Mottram certainly made up for his howler 'that' night at Tannadice  :mad2:

BTW BB, Martin Clark picked up or caught the ball and threw it to Andy Murdoch who booted it up the park, obviously expecting us to kick off

Thanks jaggy.

Found it this morning. Only watch between 1 min and 2 mins. The rest is pretty grim.